Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/12/2012, 09:39 AM   #26
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennw View Post
Is there anything wrong with the lionfish continuing to eat live minnows or what about frozen krill if he will take that eventually?
Besides containing the wrong HUFA's (as mentioned), the flesh of many FW fish, esp. the carp family, which rosy reds belong to, contains high amounts of the enzyme Thiaminase, which inhibits the fish's ability to utilize Thiamine. This results in anorexia (cessation of feeding), central nervous system disorders (clamped fins, seizures, etc), and an early demise.

HTH

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2012, 02:21 PM   #27
stevetcg
Registered Member

How about SW minnows. My kids chase them in the Atlantic Ocean when we go down the street to the beach.

Im just setting my aggressive FOWLR and a volitan is on the menu.

stevetcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 04:18 PM   #28
Glennw
Registered Member

I'm adding a green brittle star and a toby pearl puffer in with the lionfish. They should all be OK, shouldn't they? I know the green brittle stars can be aggressive, but what else can go in with them?

Last edited by Glennw; 03/13/2012 at 04:30 PM.
Glennw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2012, 05:27 PM   #29
rayn
Registered Member

There has been a history of puffers picking on lions fins, but it has been done. You either need to not do it or watch very closely.

Unread 03/14/2012, 02:41 PM   #30
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
How about SW minnows. My kids chase them in the Atlantic Ocean when we go down the street to the beach.
I'm not exactly sure what "SW minnows" are...are they true SW fish, or are they FW minnows that happen to live in SW/brackish conditions. In theory, they sound OK, but without knowing what the true name of the fish is, that's about all I can say.

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
Unread 03/14/2012, 04:27 PM   #31
Glennw
Registered Member

My lionfish is not looking so good. I took him out of the 70g and put him in a smaller QT tank. He has what looks like some scrapes on both his sides, possibly from the rocks. He is not even looking at even the live minnows. I've got some Pimafix and cupramine. Should I try and add one of these to the QT tank he is in?

Unread 03/14/2012, 05:15 PM   #32
Glennw
Registered Member

Too late. He died.

Unread 03/14/2012, 06:12 PM   #33
Wolverine
RC Mod

Sorry to hear that.

Current Tank Info: 14g, 29g nano reefs
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2012, 09:57 PM   #34
thebluepond
Registered Member

Just got a 8 inch that was supposed to be weaned off live...wouldn't eat for some time....simply waited for him to get hungry enough, and then waved silversideds just below the surface...he shot up and snagged them instantly! Hunger makes them smack it up quicker, and not examine it quite so closely

thebluepond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 01:34 PM   #35
megatron8121
Registered Member

I got a Lionfish about a month ago and the dude eats ANYTHING! I stick my hand in the tank to do weekly water tests and he is trying to bite my hand. I'm so happy we got a good eater, he eats pellets, silversides, frozen, and live. Fed him live the first night, never since. We put 5 ghost shrimp in right after we acclimated him and within 30 seconds he had eaten all 5.

Next day went to the store and got pellets and he tears them up as well, also eats krill.

megatron8121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 02:35 PM   #36
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

megatron,

Since your lion is such a strong feeder, I'd consider losing the krill altogether (anecdotal evidence has linked a diet high in krill to lockjaw on several occasions) and adding foods like table shrimp, SW fish flesh (salmon, tuna, snapper, swordfish, etc), scallops, octopus, squid, etc. These can all be had at your grocer's seafood counter, or local fish market, and in small amounts, are very reasonable (much moreso than food from the LFS).

As far as enrichments go, beta glucan and vitamin C are mostly what we use, altho we also use B6 and B12 as well as astaxanthin.

Unread 03/15/2012, 02:46 PM   #37
megatron8121
Registered Member

Yeah I feed him mostly pellets, with occasional frozen mysis. Dropped the live fish and krill all together since I got more food for him.

megatron8121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2012, 05:05 PM   #38
Glennw
Registered Member

Namxas,
Is it OK to feed my pearl toby puffer, krill. What about pellets, will it eat those eventually?

Quote:
Originally Posted by namxas View Post
megatron,

Since your lion is such a strong feeder, I'd consider losing the krill altogether (anecdotal evidence has linked a diet high in krill to lockjaw on several occasions) and adding foods like table shrimp, SW fish flesh (salmon, tuna, snapper, swordfish, etc), scallops, octopus, squid, etc. These can all be had at your grocer's seafood counter, or local fish market, and in small amounts, are very reasonable (much moreso than food from the LFS).

As far as enrichments go, beta glucan and vitamin C are mostly what we use, altho we also use B6 and B12 as well as astaxanthin.