Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/08/2018, 08:18 PM   #1
Roellers117
Registered Member

Aquaforest Probiotic Reef Salt dkh to high?

Hi every one!

I have owned a 90 gallon fresh water for over 4 years now and I want to get in to the salt water.

I started a +- 16 gallon tank and chose to go with Aquaforest Probiotic Reef Salt. Today I mixed to 35ppt (The instructions says that is good for SPS corals)
heated it to 24.5 celcius / 76 degrees and let it stir for a hour here are the results:

Parameters advertised: dKH: 7.7-8.3 Ca: 440-460 Mg: 1360-1420
Parameters self mixed: dKH: 8.4 Ca: 450Mg: 1410
(Colombo test kit)

The salt matched the advertised values except for the dKH witch is slightly higher.

On the website of aquaforest they say; "Due to the content of probiotic bacteria the dKH value should be maintainedat 6.5-8.0. Higher values may have a negative effect on the growth of SPS corals."

I am trying to maintain constant values and dose dKH Ca and Mg. Should I maintain the parameters I get from my salt (so dKH 8.3) or maintain it at 8.0?

Greetings,
Roel.

Roellers117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 09:56 PM   #2
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

The reference to 6.5-8.0 pertains to running a ULNS . If your nutrients are on the higher side then the 8.3 is fine. If your nutrients run low or on the lower side let’s say less than .03 Phosphate and less than 1ppm nitrate then you should run between 6.5-8.0 this way you don’t chance getting burnt tips on your Acros.

So if your doing the recommended 10% water change per week as recommended, even with 8.3 dkh salt you’ll still be fine . Your only changing 10%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2018, 10:02 PM   #3
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

We make reference to variation here.

http://aquaforest.eu/en/product/probiotic-reef-salt/

Also I’d like to note that while using the Probiotic Salt you should do a 10% water changes per week.

If you ever need to do a larger water change you should use the Reef salt. This is due to the fact that with doing larger water changes with the Probiotic Salt you could up set the bacterial balance of the system once established.

This doesn’t pertain to starting a reef with the probiotic salt. You can start a system with 100% probiotic salt . Once established then it should be 10% water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 04:39 AM   #4
Roellers117
Registered Member

Thanks for the fast reaction! I will keep this in mind

Roellers117 is offline   Reply With Quote