Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/17/2015, 04:10 PM   #1
james30ct
Registered Member

kalk in ato evaporation question

Trying kalk instead of 2 part. Should help because ph is usually low in my tank. My tank is 180g w 40 gal sump. I have a clam and a bunch of frags mostly sps. The tank evaporates about 1.7 gallons a day.

Is that too much evap for kalk? Do I do 1tsp for every gallon of ro/di I add to the reservoir? Thanks for any help.

Heres the tank

james30ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/17/2015, 04:23 PM   #2
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

How much alkalinity drop do you have per day? That's where you'll get how much kalk you need per day. From that and your evaporation rate you can get how much kalk per gallon.

Current Tank: Undergoing reconstruction...
disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2015, 11:47 AM   #3
DrBoxedWine
Registered Member

I do 3 tsp per gallon for my 75g. The limit is supposed to be 2 tsp, but Randy Holmes did an article about how dosing vinegar through the ATO (which I also do) raises the capacity for how much Kalk can be dissolved into the water.

I think you're totally fine. If anything, you may find you can quite meet your tanks needs with Kalk. I'm in the Super dry Denver area, and I evaporate about a gallon a day for my 75g... Kalk can barely keep up.

DrBoxedWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/18/2015, 05:52 PM   #4
DrBoxedWine
Registered Member

*may find you can't

Unread 11/19/2015, 05:09 PM   #5
james30ct
Registered Member

Dialed it back a bit and I'm gonna try 1/4tsp/gal and check alk and see how it stands.

Unread 11/19/2015, 05:59 PM   #6
DrBoxedWine
Registered Member

Yeah give it a shot!

Unread 11/19/2015, 06:01 PM   #7
DrBoxedWine
Registered Member

My tank doesn't have that many more corals than you, and 3 tsp barely covers it, so keep an eye on it.

Unread 11/19/2015, 06:02 PM   #8
DrBoxedWine
Registered Member

Also, I think I'm about to upgrade to a 180. How long have you had yours?

Unread 11/20/2015, 03:08 PM   #9
james30ct
Registered Member

Probably around 6 months.

Unread 11/20/2015, 06:31 PM   #10
outy
Moved On

I use a calcium reactor and kalk because my demands are so high, and like you it helps PH

kalk by itself is not often used long term as a solution.

You might get away with it for a little bit longer, but once growth starts NO way

outy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2015, 08:21 AM   #11
Syntax1325
Acro Addict

Kalk in ato worked for me for a while during the winter; however, when the summer came and evaporation slowed down I couldn't keep up with my alk and calc needs and started 2 part. Two part is ok besides having to keep an eye on tank salinity, I have to remove about a gallon a week of water and allow the ato to kick in and bring my salinity back to 35.

Current Tank Info: 180g sps dom, 40b sump, Reeflo Dart, Apex, Aquamaxx co2, Reefbrite mh/led pendants w/14k twinarcs, Kore 5th doser, Tunze ATO, Ranco controlling 800 watt Finnex tube, 2 Maxpect Gyre 150XF with Ice Cap Controllers and battery backup, Bean Animal drain
Syntax1325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2015, 02:29 PM   #12
james30ct
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsovetsky View Post
Kalk in ato worked for me for a while during the winter; however, when the summer came and evaporation slowed down I couldn't keep up with my alk and calc needs and started 2 part. Two part is ok besides having to keep an eye on tank salinity, I have to remove about a gallon a week of water and allow the ato to kick in and bring my salinity back to 35.
2 part adds salinity?

Unread 11/21/2015, 05:50 PM   #13
Syntax1325
Acro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by james30ct View Post
2 part adds salinity?
Yes....

A Quote from Bertoni regarding the chemical reaction that turns the alk and calc solution into table salt:

"They are mostly calcium chloride and sodium carbonate (or bicarbonate), so when the corals deposit calcium carbonate, NaCl (table salt) gets left behind."

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1940206

Current Tank Info: 180g sps dom, 40b sump, Reeflo Dart, Apex, Aquamaxx co2, Reefbrite mh/led pendants w/14k twinarcs, Kore 5th doser, Tunze ATO, Ranco controlling 800 watt Finnex tube, 2 Maxpect Gyre 150XF with Ice Cap Controllers and battery backup, Bean Animal drain
Unread 11/21/2015, 11:20 PM   #14
bertoni
RC Mod

Ye, the two-parts leave behind table salt.

Unread 11/22/2015, 11:16 AM   #15
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

You might get away with it for a little bit longer, but once growth starts NO way.

YES, way.

There are many tanks with lots of growing sps and other calcifying organisms including mine that meet the need for alk and calcium with kalk alone .

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2015, 02:48 PM   #16
Syntax1325
Acro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
You might get away with it for a little bit longer, but once growth starts NO way.

YES, way.

There are many tanks with lots of growing sps and other calcifying organisms including mine that meet the need for alk and calcium with kalk alone .
Can you explain how you keep up with alk and calc demands once kalk in ato doesn't keep up? I was doing just fine with kalk in ato last winter but my evap rate slowed down during the spring and summer months leaving me with a deficit.

Unread 11/23/2015, 11:21 AM   #17
bertoni
RC Mod

One way to handle that is to use a fan to increase the evaporation rate. Other people just use both 2-part and Kalk.

Unread 11/23/2015, 12:59 PM   #18
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsovetsky View Post
Can you explain how you keep up with alk and calc demands once kalk in ato doesn't keep up? I was doing just fine with kalk in ato last winter but my evap rate slowed down during the spring and summer months leaving me with a deficit.
I dose a consistent amount of fully saturated kalk/ limewater from a still reservoir 24/7 in small increments throughout the day at the same rate all year. I set the daily amount ( 20 liters/ 5.2 gallons for a 650 gallon system)to a little less than the lowest seasonal daily top off and make up any shortfall in top off with ro/di water. This together with daily 1% water changes holds the alk and calcium at 8.5dkh and 460ppm ,respectively in a system packed with sps. The small increments minimize losses to precipitation ;combined with a consistent daily rate a steady alk level is maintained.

Two part dosing to supplement it hasn't been necessary as a routine but is easy to do manually if a tweak is desired or with dosing pumps on an ongoing basis. Using a calcium reactor along with kalk can also help and the lower pH of the calcium reactor effluent will help mitigate the pH rising effect of the kalk dosing. I have a calcium reactor but haven't needed to use it in over 5 years.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.

Last edited by tmz; 11/24/2015 at 11:18 AM.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2015, 01:19 PM   #19
cardiffgiant
Registered Member

dsovetsky, I used to do it the way that you did, but the tank did not react well to seasonal fluctuations in evaporation rate.

Now I do it hte way that tmz does, a fixed amount of kalk each day (programmed with my Apex with failsaifes for high ph and overfilling) and then use ATO float switch to top off with RO water if the fixed amount of kalk is less than evaporation. The consistency has been great for me.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2015, 03:21 PM   #20
james30ct
Registered Member

5 days later and alk is staying at 8.5. I will keep checking as time goes by.

Unread 11/24/2015, 03:49 PM   #21
jason2459
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post

YES, way.

If I recall you use coralife ASW on a 1% daily change out? That mixes to the mid to high 500's in calcium right? That would help a bit more then someone on a salt mix with lower calcium. I'm not sure how much help?

edit: didn't see your following post confirming the 1% daily change

You can check out my parameters at reeftronics dot net website and look for my username.

Current Tank Info: 180g mixed reef w/ a beananimal overflow to a dolomite RRUGF. | 20g long G. Smithii Mantis Tank
jason2459 is offline   Reply With Quote