Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2011, 06:47 PM   #1
JoshuaG
Registered Member

CA1 calcium reactor, any reviews?

Thinking of picking up the DIY CA1, anyone have it yet and willing to post your review? Thanks!

"Out with the old, in with the new!"
JoshuaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Der ABT
Registered Member

Here is a review i wrote in my local boards back in August. Since ive had it running its been nearly flawless, the microvalve has clogged once but i kinda expected that and some basic maintenancy (every 3 mo or so is all that is needed and it takes like 2 min)
I would strongly suggest this CaRx to you, for the money its unbeatable. I just got one of their media reactors as i was soo happy with this and just as teh ca rx it was easy to put together, if you can glue you can do it.

Well its about time I did a write up about my new Calcium reactor from Avast Marine (formally Grey Seas as many of you know). I started out looking for a used Ca Reactor when my SPS addiction was in full tilt and I had more frags then gallons of water. I just had a little one and wanted to save all money possible so I began in the classified sections. There are a few deals here and there but nothing really stood out as ohh I have to have that. When I saw that Avast did some DIY media reactors and the like I decided to email them as they where a local company. Much to my surprise less then an hour later I got an email response with some options. After weighing my options I realized how good of a deal they had to offer. A brand new Ca Reactor for about half the price of most others. There where a lot of things I wanted, size restraints, re-circulated CO2, ease of changing media, etc. So after a bunch more emails back and forth from Dan and Justin I finally made my order for a DIY kit Ca Reactor.

About a day later I got the email that my reactor had shipped and was on its way with a tracking number. Again very surprised at the speed this all happened. This was just before I had a baby and truthfully I expected to get the kit after I was home from the hospital, but it was there well before that great day. Being one of the early kits the instructions where written only and there was not video for the build yet but I knew about this when I bought the kit and with the speed of email response it was probably faster for me to not have the video.

The build went really smoothly when I finally got around to it (by this time my daughter was about 10 weeks old). I read through the instructions first and it all pretty much made sense. I am able to build things though my forte is with cars. Any question i had was anwsered sometimes too quickly, example, sent a message at 10:49 pm and went to go do a final check on the tank before getting the baby to bed (her schedule was late b/c i get up early) and at 10:52 i had an email response waiting.....just wow now thats service haha here are some pics of the build, literally anyone could build this if you can glue.

all in all the parts all fit and came together very nicely. i think i had to cut two pieces of pvc by about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch but with this being an early model i expected that. A few little design changes occured before i built the second reactor, aka placement of the recirculating pump which made those pipes i had to cut not needed.

I highly recommend this product to anyone looking to save some money and still get a high quality product, and its nice to know how things went together so i can fix anything that goes wrong, and to upgrad, all i would have to do is get a new base and a taller main chamber to hold more media.... dont see that expandability often, usually its time to buy a new one. it comes with a ph probe hole that can be sealed if you dont use a controller.

Thanks again to Avast/Grey Seas for the help and the product, Ill get some up and running pics here soon.....

just like any ca/dosing, ive seen alot more growth since i started the reactor. it runs silent and doesnt leak...all i could ask for. Sorry this took so long ill get some pics of the build here as soon as i remember to. but here are some of the pre assembly pics

The other thing i really like is that if you need a larger reactor you can ask them to make the main tube taller and there is a bigger reactor..

Der ABT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2011, 10:45 AM   #3
mojo~
Skimmer Guy

might have to chek this out. Nice write up.

Unread 05/02/2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Der ABT
Registered Member

might as well revive this since its on about every other board i can find

here are some pics of how this thing is treating my system if your not a believer, wait till you get yours.

Der ABT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 07:51 PM   #5
lewisjl481
Registered Member

I really hope they reintroduce this calcium reactor! I would buy one in a second.

lewisjl481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 09:00 AM   #6
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

It's coming back

I have a built one on my workbench right now, and parts for a few more. Need to build one for the camera and write up the manual!

Evan, those are nice acros!

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2012, 01:47 PM   #7
Avast Marine
RC Sponsor

Kits are done and Justin is coming down to the shop Friday to pick them all up. This first batch is pretty limited supply (only about 3 dozen reactors) so shoot us a email if your interested.

Please, no PM's. Here is the best contact route: http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/Contact.do

Thanks for supporting AVAST!

Don't rush art, you get bad art.
Avast Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2012, 03:57 PM   #8
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Any pictures of the completed Ca Reactor? Are there models for small tanks say 33 gallon?

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote