Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/09/2018, 04:18 AM   #1
user12345
Registered Member

Need ID help.

Hi, I have seen this organism first on hair algae growing in my tank, then in my sponge filter. It swims like a octopus, blasting it self. My lfs tells me it could be a baby limpet. Could you guys confirm this? If not what could it be?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

user12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2018, 05:19 AM   #2
user12345
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusha View Post
Hi, I have seen this organism first on hair algae growing in my tank, then in my sponge filter. It swims like a octopus, blasting it self. My lfs tells me it could be a baby limpet. Could you guys confirm this? If not what could it be?

Actually the person from my lfs isn't sure what it is either.

Unread 06/09/2018, 06:23 AM   #3
Smokey Stover
Registered Member

Kinda looks like a Hydroid, Check out this link sometime,
https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/

Smokey Stover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2018, 09:51 AM   #4
user12345
Registered Member

Thanks! Does look like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Stover View Post
Kinda looks like a Hydroid, Check out this link sometime,
https://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhikers-guide/

Unread 06/09/2018, 10:56 PM   #5
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Hydroids - Medusae

They commonly come in with live brine shrimp. Apparently its fairly common for them to get mixed into brine shrimp hatchery/egg setups and therefore end up in live brine shrimp food sources. I have them in my tank too and they mostly bloom and die out in a few weeks. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see them MASSIIVVEELLYY breeding for more then a few weeks without new additions of live food sources.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2018, 04:11 AM   #6
user12345
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndfreeze View Post
Hydroids - Medusae

They commonly come in with live brine shrimp. Apparently its fairly common for them to get mixed into brine shrimp hatchery/egg setups and therefore end up in live brine shrimp food sources. I have them in my tank too and they mostly bloom and die out in a few weeks. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see them MASSIIVVEELLYY breeding for more then a few weeks without new additions of live food sources.
Thanks. But what should I do if I see them breeding massively?

Unread 06/10/2018, 04:44 AM   #7
mndfreeze
Invert Sexy Time!

Stop over feeding. There isn't much you need to do other then control their food source. Like a lot of micro critters that appear in tanks, especially new tanks, they are limited by the food supply. Most also don't have ideal conditions in home aquariums so they die out as their life cycle runs into issues, etc.

IMO I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure you are not over feeding your tank. That's usually the root of most peoples problems with stuff like this.

Even in the extreme and rare case they do breed like crazy, I've never seen them actually harm anything. If anything they might end up being more planktonic food for your corals and stuff.

mndfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2018, 04:48 AM   #8
user12345
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndfreeze View Post
Stop over feeding. There isn't much you need to do other then control their food source. Like a lot of micro critters that appear in tanks, especially new tanks, they are limited by the food supply. Most also don't have ideal conditions in home aquariums so they die out as their life cycle runs into issues, etc.

IMO I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure you are not over feeding your tank. That's usually the root of most peoples problems with stuff like this.

Even in the extreme and rare case they do breed like crazy, I've never seen them actually harm anything. If anything they might end up being more planktonic food for your corals and stuff.
Thanks a bunch!