Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/15/2018, 09:38 AM   #26
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Your doing the right thing....go ahead and bring to correct level.
My post was not to say use less. I liked the way you were not over agressive with the meds at the beginning leaving time for your fish it adjust.
The only time I go straight to max is if the fish is in a very bad state, then time counts.
Remember that getting your fish strong and healthy with the least stress is as important as the meds over the long term

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 11:00 AM   #27
kiMxD
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle99 View Post
Yes to specific levels, but just what is that, what the manufacture says?
Dosage is guided by salinity and temp and that varies from tank to tank.
The OP is doing the right thing by gradually increasing the dosage and watching what how the patient responds, it may take several days to bring the amount up to max, I always stop short of max and not exceed 90% of the reccommended, and in two cases, stopped about 70% when the Ick fell off.
After the Ick falls off, then I go to Hypo for 2 weeks, then bring the salinity up to norm slowly over the last week.
I think the OP is smart.
What does OP stands for?

kiMxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 12:21 PM   #28
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

That be you!
Original Poster
��

Unread 02/15/2018, 01:20 PM   #29
kiMxD
Registered Member

Quote:
That be you!
Original Poster
��
Hahahaha... Thank you for clarifying that Uncle99!

Unread 02/15/2018, 01:49 PM   #30
pisanoal
Registered Member

Quote:
Copper, the reef safe forms that is, is a tried and true method that will work provided you don't overdose. You exercised great caution in going half dose and you recognize the need to keep ammonia in check. IMO you are doing the right things and you should continue to finish the treatment you started. I have tired all three methods and if you follow the instructs to the tee, your fish will survive the Ick parasite. Personally, I have never had any long lasting effects of reef safe copper treatments except for the first time 25 years ago now when I killed a fish by not managing the copper dosage correctly. Good luck!
It worries me a little that you say "reef safe" copper. There is no such thing. I'm sure that you did not mean it that way, but to anyone who might misinterpret this post, both ionic copper and chelated copper (cupramine) will devastate a reef tank. It is lethal to inverts at way below the therapeutic levels required. Fish must be placed in a hospital tank for treatment as the OP is doing.

pisanoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2018, 03:57 PM   #31
kiMxD
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisanoal View Post
It worries me a little that you say "reef safe" copper. There is no such thing. I'm sure that you did not mean it that way, but to anyone who might misinterpret this post, both ionic copper and chelated copper (cupramine) will devastate a reef tank. It is lethal to inverts at way below the therapeutic levels required. Fish must be placed in a hospital tank for treatment as the OP is doing.
Good point.

It's extremely important that everybody understands that we must separate the fish from any inverts we might have, as well, even if you have a fish-only tank with live rock, you should either remove one of the other, otherwise your live rock will turn into dead rock.

Unread 02/16/2018, 12:37 PM   #32
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

"Reef Safe" is the correct word in terms of distinction between actual copper and cupramine.
There are other forms of copper which are available, yet would be deadly at even small amounts.....kinda like iodide versus iodine, the latter can be very deadly.....where the former is more forgiving...not to say if you dump the whole bottle in that would be safe.
Reef safe has been that generic term used in the marine hobby for years, yet as we all know, not everything is safe...then again I was hoping...maybe not...

But I hear your concern. I agree that cupramine (copper) should only be used as directed, in a HT or QT tank with nothing but fish, tank, water, heater and the treatment. Nothing else, copper is deadly to all else. Killed one of my cycled rocks as well..

Last edited by Uncle99; 02/16/2018 at 12:44 PM.