Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/14/2016, 07:01 PM   #1
AcroNewbie
Registered Member

ProBioS with carbon dosing

Hi,

I am currently in the process of switching over to the Aquaforest system, and I was wondering if I can continue dosing vodka with ProBioS, or do I have to use NP Pro instead?

Thanks

AcroNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2016, 08:48 PM   #2
fessoclown
Dis-Membered

I have been dosing vinegar instead of NP-Pro for almost the last month along with pretty much every AF product. Seems just fine. I would use NP-Pro if it was available on Amazon.ca (nudge,nudge AF)

I am pretty sure they(AF) will suggest you switch to NP-Pro but they will probably also admit that it's not critical. They (AF) seem to be cool like that.

Unread 03/15/2016, 07:14 AM   #3
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroNewbie View Post
Hi,

I am currently in the process of switching over to the Aquaforest system, and I was wondering if I can continue dosing vodka with ProBioS, or do I have to use NP Pro instead?

Thanks
we recommend to use -NP Pro.

Regards,
Aquaforest

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2016, 08:41 AM   #4
Tweaked
FUP&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fessoclown View Post
I have been dosing vinegar instead of NP-Pro for almost the last month along with pretty much every AF product. Seems just fine. I would use NP-Pro if it was available on Amazon.ca (nudge,nudge AF)

I am pretty sure they(AF) will suggest you switch to NP-Pro but they will probably also admit that it's not critical. They (AF) seem to be cool like that.
Did you check the Salty Supply site (US Distributor aka Deepwater Aquatics).

Unread 03/15/2016, 10:43 AM   #5
AcroNewbie
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply everyone! Not sure if vodka will be the same as vinegar and ProBioS, so I am ordering the NP Pro just to be safe, not a chemist

AcroNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2016, 07:41 AM   #6
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroNewbie View Post
Thanks for the reply everyone! Not sure if vodka will be the same as vinegar and ProBioS, so I am ordering the NP Pro just to be safe, not a chemist
This will be a safer approach, wise choice, the NP Pro has no odors of vinegar or alcohol, is is a different product all together. Good luck and keep us posted

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2016, 08:32 PM   #7
fessoclown
Dis-Membered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaked View Post
Did you check the Salty Supply site (US Distributor aka Deepwater Aquatics).
I did, added to my cart but the shipping is more expensive than the product... plus the exchange rate plus the customs tax makes it nearly 3x the cost.... I'll stick with vinegar until AF makes NP-Pro available on Amazon.ca. It seem to be working just fine....

Unread 03/27/2016, 04:12 AM   #8
nool1983
Registered Member

Does it mean that vodka can be use with np pro?

nool1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2016, 07:37 AM   #9
elviraveloz
Registered Member

AF don't recommend vodka method while using probiotic method. Company will never tell it's ok to use, it's of to you to give it a try. I use a denitrator to control nitrates ( like carbon dosing) so, I just use micro and macronutrients, Zeo mix,reef salt and carbon.

elviraveloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2016, 01:33 AM   #10
Aquaforest
RC Sponsor

We recommend to use Pro Bio S with -NP Pro.
We do not recommend to use vodka.

Regards,
Aquaforest

Aquaforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 05:08 AM   #11
panozzz
Registered Member

Hello! I am also switching from vodka dosing to AF method.

I am currently dosing 2.5ml on my 55G cube. my readings are: No3 2.5ppm & PO4 0.052

how should I switch?

stop vodka immediately and start using NPpro and probioS or use probioS and reduce vodka dosing gradually ???

panozzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 05:27 AM   #12
plyle02
Registered Member

I would recommend to switch to Pro Bio S, and NP Pro at 1/2 dose daily. Please read the product guide for more familiarity with the Probiotic system. Like others, requirements are not an exact, and more based on a user who understands how to make adjustments through observation and test results. Using the Probiotic reef salt will also benefit in this arrangement. Based on your requirements try 1 drop each day, and go from there Cheers

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 05/26/2016, 07:25 AM   #13
panozzz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
I would recommend to switch to Pro Bio S, and NP Pro at 1/2 dose daily. Please read the product guide for more familiarity with the Probiotic system. Like others, requirements are not an exact, and more based on a user who understands how to make adjustments through observation and test results. Using the Probiotic reef salt will also benefit in this arrangement. Based on your requirements try 1 drop each day, and go from there Cheers
thank for your instant reply!

I have read and understand the product quide
so, as I understand, your syggestion is to start half dose AF products and stop vodka straigh away, am I right?

Unread 05/26/2016, 09:06 AM   #14
plyle02
Registered Member

Yes, correct. Essentially NP Pro is a carbon source and Pro Bio S is your bacterial support. The carbon source is food to help the bacteria to grow, to aid in further reduction of N&P through efficient protein skimming. This system is more efficient than vodka alone. I would say start 1/2 dose, but you may see nutrients rise, in which case you can swtich to full dose. As with anything, observe your corals and make sure to test often. The system is rather forgiving and to me gentle. Cheers

Unread 05/26/2016, 10:03 AM   #15
panozzz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Yes, correct. Essentially NP Pro is a carbon source and Pro Bio S is your bacterial support. The carbon source is food to help the bacteria to grow, to aid in further reduction of N&P through efficient protein skimming. This system is more efficient than vodka alone. I would say start 1/2 dose, but you may see nutrients rise, in which case you can swtich to full dose. As with anything, observe your corals and make sure to test often. The system is rather forgiving and to me gentle. Cheers
Ok, I start dosing AF bacteria and carbon source half dose today and keep vodka to dose myself

I also added 1/2 liter siporax and 1/2 liter zeo mix to a zeo reactor and set the flow inside at 300lt/hour.

Here is my 55 gallons cube

lightning: 6*24w ati t-5 (4blue plus & 2 coral plus)
Skimmer: deltec mce600
Flow : 1 jebao rw8, 1 tunze 6025, eheim 3000 return pump.

Dosing through calcium reactor using knop media

My parameters

Salinity: 35ppt
Alkalinity: 7,5 dkh
Calcium: 420 ppm
Magnesium: 1380ppm

Nitrate: 2,5ppm (salifert)
Phosphate: 0,052ppm (Hanna 736)

as I wrote I will continue check daily. If nitrates rise I will increase probio S and NP pro up to recommended dosage.

Once my No3& PO4 readings are zero I will start dosing vitality and build along with KZ amino acids and KZ Vitalizer.

What do u thing ?

Unread 05/26/2016, 01:12 PM   #16
plyle02
Registered Member

Sounds good to me, just continue observation and testing. Once you gain the grasp you will understand the products much better. Your tank is beautiful, nicely done

Unread 05/26/2016, 01:28 PM   #17
alex78
Registered Member

ProBioS with carbon dosing

ProF is a carbon "fuel" for the bacteria so you adding them at the same time. From the nutrient reduction point of view there is no difference between day and night time dosing. However corals especially SPS treat bacteria as a meal so dosing them when the lights are off gives extra benefit wor whole reef system.

There is no obstacles for dosing ProBIoS ProF during water changes. You may observe temporary few hours bacteria bloom. After this water will be crystal clear.

alex78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2016, 02:17 PM   #18
panozzz
Registered Member

thanks guys, appreciate your help