Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Nashville Area Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2007, 09:14 AM   #1
jfolley67
Registered Member

Questions Questions Questions....heater Help

probably going with titanium heaters.....want to order now but are there significant differences between brands? What is everyone's experience? I found ones that are pacific coast titanium with a basic controller for them for like 40 bucks and then there are some no controller you buy separate that end up to be about 80 bucks.....help!!
going to go with one 500w hooked to the aquacontroller and then a separate one not hooked to controller (in case of heater or controller failure) that is 300w. How does that sound?

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon Reef....lovin' it!
jfolley67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2007, 10:12 AM   #2
c_stowers
Registered Member

I personally like the idea of having at least two seperate heaters. I have used the Finnex and Pro-Heat Titanium heaters with built in controllers. Although both have controllers, I have them hooked up to my AC Jr. so in essence I have double control. If the AC Jr. were to fail, my heaters would only heat the tank up 2 additional degrees before their internal controllers kicked off.

As far as brands, both brands I have tried have only lasted 1-2 years and I have owned 4 of each now. So I can't say that these brands are the best, but I haven't heard of any other brand doing much better.

c_stowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2007, 10:34 AM   #3
crumbletop
Registered Member

I agree with Chris that more than one smaller heater is safer than one big one. Maybe 2 or 3 250W heaters? I'd set their thermostats to a degree or two above where you have things set on the AquaController and hook them up as c_stowers describes.

Chris, you need to update your current tanks. I don't think I've ever seen that 5 gallon nano

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon AGA RR. 20 gal sump. 6x54W T5. AquaController Jr.
crumbletop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2007, 10:50 AM   #4
c_stowers
Registered Member

OK Crumbletop, the profile has been updated. I used to have the 5 gallon nano. I got rid of it about 2 years ago by giving it to Siffy since he wanted to do SW and didn't have a tank. He actually took down the tank about 9 months ago, so I may ask for it back and set it up again.

Unread 08/22/2007, 10:51 AM   #5
jfolley67
Registered Member

I did not realize you could set more than one heater to the aquacontroller....I guess I need to have more understanding to that. I would not want the controller to turn them all off at once of course....I was going with the 300 and the 500 thinking this was a good combo for the entire tank....being that the 500w would be hooked to controller and the 300w would not work as hard to keep tank as warmed as the secondary ....I was concerned that having only 2-250 or even 2 -300w would not be enough to heat it all because remember my lights have no heat output....and not sure if I should even bother with titanium?????

Unread 08/22/2007, 10:58 AM   #6
c_stowers
Registered Member

I would only go with titanium heaters. Glass heaters are just too much of a rick and a titanium heater is only $30-$50. Two 250 W heaters should be plenty enough unless your house gets below 60 degrees in the winter. Your light will have some heat output and running a large return pump/ skimmer pump will add plenty of heat. Just wait and see what the steady state temp of the system with the lights off is. I tried to design my system as efficient as possible and I was still suprized as to how much heat my pumps added.

Unread 08/22/2007, 11:00 AM   #7
TitansFan
Registered Member

Julie did you get a direct connect 8 for your controller? Be careful with how much wattage you plug into one. They can not handle a whole heck of alot. The first one I had I blew a fuse or something and had to send it back for repairs. I think they handle a max of 15 Amps.

TitansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2007, 11:22 AM   #8
jfolley67
Registered Member

what do you have totally plugged into your direct connect? My lights are the solaris so they have their own controller...not putting the pumps on it......I know my heaters will go on it.....eventually I will put something to balance the ph, some kind of pump to drip maybe the 3part mixture if ph drops??? My tunze pumps have their own controller.....etc......so most of the connects are for future things......I got it cheap enough so I figure it was a good investment for my needs now for small things...what do you think? so you can set more than one heater on it???

Unread 08/22/2007, 11:34 AM   #9
crumbletop
Registered Member

Yes, you can hook up more than one heater. 3 250W heaters would draw around 7 amps which leaves some room. Also, if you ever needed to spread the draw to other outlets, you can purchase an expansion socket (~$40) that is controlled by the DC8 but effectively doesn't draw any current from the DC8. For now you are fine with your DC8.

Unread 08/22/2007, 12:08 PM   #10
jfolley67
Registered Member

Jack, it seems more complicated to have 3 heaters only because if you have a failure it would be hard to define which one vs. having 2 of them.....but maybe I am wrong? what about 2 - 300w???? how many amps would that draw as well....what kind of heaters have you had experience with that has been good?

Unread 08/22/2007, 12:23 PM   #11
SRT80
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by c_stowers
I would only go with titanium heaters. Glass heaters are just too much of a rick and a titanium heater is only $30-$50. Two 250 W heaters should be plenty enough unless your house gets below 60 degrees in the winter. Your light will have some heat output and running a large return pump/ skimmer pump will add plenty of heat. Just wait and see what the steady state temp of the system with the lights off is. I tried to design my system as efficient as possible and I was still suprized as to how much heat my pumps added.
yes, I know my tank is 100 gal. smaller but I'm not even runnin' a heater on my 80 euro....well my brothers 80 thats setup at my house. The temp stays around 84 during the day and 82 at night. I have a heater in the tank but its not plugged up. I'm guessin from the return pump, skimmer pump (i think its a mag 3?) its not a maxi jet. And there is 2 maxi jet 1200s in the tank. I wonder too is it because I keep the upstairs warm, set on 80. I know have it on 78, thats just to try and keep the AC from runnin 24/7. Can't wait til it cools down outside.

Steve

SRT80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2007, 12:25 PM   #12
crumbletop
Registered Member

I have a heap of Visitherm Stealths that have been great going on 2 years. They are black plastic. They work fine for me. 2x300W would be fine. For now, I'd give them both separate channels on the DC8, but it is possible to combine them both on one. It is really straight forward. You are just in the midst of a HUGE learning curve. Going from a tank without an overflow, to one with a sump + external skimmer + return pump + equipment room + plumbing + water chemistry + .....

Take it slowly. You'll be fine. I know when I made the jump to reef-ready it really made my head spin

Unread 08/22/2007, 12:30 PM   #13
jfolley67
Registered Member

spinning and spinning and spinning......"GRIN" you are so right.....that is ok, it is very interesting stuff!! I actually found a good deal on a 350w titanium with the controller for 31.99.......marinedepot.com ....I will first go check out the ones like yours, but that is the best price on them I have seen...might order those, what do ya think?

Unread 08/22/2007, 12:34 PM   #14
SRT80
Registered Member

I have had really good luck out of the glass visi therm heaters. I have a 250w stealth and my only dislike on it is there's no light letting you know if its on or not. I have a 50w titanium on my 10 gal. Cant remember the brand but its my favorite cause you can adjust the temp on the outside of the tank. I hate when you have to get your hands wet to adjust a heater up or down.

Steve

Unread 08/22/2007, 12:42 PM   #15
crumbletop
Registered Member

The "Fish Cue" titanium heater? I've never heard of it.

Unread 08/22/2007, 01:21 PM   #16
jfolley67
Registered Member

they are out of stock anyway on it, so that was not a ment to be thing anyway!!

Unread 08/22/2007, 01:29 PM   #17
SRT80
Registered Member

what about the via aquas? If they are out of stock on them petmountain carries them.

Steve

Unread 08/22/2007, 02:37 PM   #18
jfolley67
Registered Member

Ok, purchased 2- 300w Finnex titanium heaters for a 56.00 buckaroos. Decent deal. Both have a little external controller. I tried to investigate today which ones were better and the one feature as an FYI to others is that you want to order a titanium heater that has the auto shut off if it leaves the water at all. Most of the cheapo ones did not have this safety cut off, but the ones I purchased do. Hope they are good!