Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2019, 10:05 AM   #1
mfinn
Registered Member

DD Jumpguard kit

Was wondering if anyone has used this screen top kit and how they like it.

Unread 01/21/2019, 09:08 PM   #2
billwill
Registered Member

I just ordered and should be getting later in the week! I'm excited about the custom cutout options that the BRS DIY setup didn't do.

billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2019, 07:27 AM   #3
paal
Registered Member

I installed my *pro* version last week (black net – less reflections back into room)
Overall I guess it is OK, but I actually managed to screw up. Will share here so you hopefully won’t do the same mistake

First of all, the instructions make you measure the inside of your tank and then subtract (4.1cm iirc) to make room for the connecting corner units. Fair enough, but in my opinion, it created a little too much “slack”. No big deal I guess as the frame still won’t be able to fall into the tank once it is resting on all sides, but if you are not careful when measuring it does not leave much room for mistakes. I would rather have them operate with numbers giving a much more snug fit, and then “worst case” would be that you would have to saw off an additional .5 mm or so if you were not careful enough when measuring/cutting.

The above is just nitpicking though. No real problems.

My main issue was that I used waaaay to much force when stretching the net over the frame:
I was trying to be very careful making the net pattern stay parallel with the frame (it looks a LOT better if you do this) I always managed the first three sides (doh), but the last one always got sliiiightly off. I re-did it a few times, but nope…same issue. At the end I tried my very best to loosen a few parts and stretch the netting WAY hard. (I had help doing this) I was afraid the net would tear but surprisingly it held. I then cut of the unused parts and put it over the tank.
Not until this point did I notice that the entire frame had deformed. Imagine holding two of the far away corners and then twisting in opposite directions.
The frame was *mostly* lying flat on the floor when I was working with the net, so I cannot see how I bent it directly. It seems like my constant pulling and stretching on the net actually did this(!?) And since I cut the net I cannot release the stress as the net would no longer fit.

The jumpguard still “works”, but it does not lay perfectly flush on the tank.
Just a friendly heads-up

paal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 09:52 AM   #4
paal
Registered Member

Omg...
Bought the net in order to keep wrasses. Got 4 wrasses yesterday and today I came home to this:

I mean... common, IT DOESN'T EVEN FIT (when dry)!!!! What are the odds?

paal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2019, 12:20 PM   #5
billwill
Registered Member

That sucks! I too woke up to a erase on top of my screen not long ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 01/26/2019, 02:16 PM   #6
mfinn
Registered Member

I'm very happy with mine. I ordered 2 of the smaller kits to fit on my 72" eurobraced tank.
It added extra, but I got exactly what I wanted.
I measured the opening, then measured the corner pieces and the center braces and subtracted all the numbers and put it together. Went pretty fast.
Fits perfect. Most of my black screen lines are nice and straight.
Having made several diy Home Depot window screen tops, and even bought a expensive polycarbonate top, I'm very satisfied with the product.
I love the continuous lip that holds it up.
As far as fitting flush, it has to stick up a little. It's maybe a 1/8th of a inch.

Unread 01/27/2019, 01:59 PM   #7
billwill
Registered Member

Super impressed with this, especially the kits to fit around obstructions. I’ve got radion tank mount brackets, and the brs diy kit required me to macgyver something. These have nice heft and very sturdy feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk