Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2012, 07:22 PM   #1
mudpy
Registered Member

acclimating 100 fish

Hi guys my brother who lives in Hawaii is going to ship about 100 fish to me and i need to know how to properly acclimate them.
I have 3 separate 200 gallon tanks with their own sumps
I know i have to match the temp and ph of the water but how do i prevent ammonia spikes if the tanks have not cycled?
i was told to add live rock from my display tank but do i need to add anything else? can you guys help? if your a store owner could you please tell me the steps? thanks so much

mudpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Dashiki
Registered Member

Not sure you could create a system for that bio load quickly or efficiently.

Look into mechanical filtration like a pool style filter. Try lifegard.

Dashiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2012, 05:56 PM   #3
dsmhero
Registered Member

I would hold off until you have an environment capable of handling that many fish.

How long have these tanks been up? Do you have any live rock in either of your tanks? We need to know more information.

dsmhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2012, 05:58 PM   #4
LOU A VILLE
Registered Member

Please have a plan in place before you go any further, It would be a disaster to lose 200 fish.

LOU A VILLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2012, 10:36 PM   #5
Everyones Hero
Registered Member.

Are these going to be big fish or small fish?

When I was at Petco we received upwards of 2000 feeders at a time. They would just get floated & then released into a tank that was probably about 140g total system water. Probably lost about 10-15% of the fish on a daily basis.

Everyones Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/05/2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Everyones Hero
Registered Member.

Double post.

Unread 04/05/2012, 10:53 PM   #7
gbru316
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyones Hero View Post
Are these going to be big fish or small fish?

When I was at Petco we received upwards of 2000 feeders at a time. They would just get floated & then released into a tank that was probably about 140g total system water. Probably lost about 10-15% of the fish on a daily basis.
Is losing 200-250 fish a day acceptable?

I used to work at one of the largest pet stores on the east coast. They have several systems of 1000 gallons or more. In the salt section, a typical delivery was less than 100 fish per section. Fresh was 200-500 (although there were a lot of guppies, platys, tetra, etc).

We had 5'x5'x3' sumps for each system, the salt sections had 8' tall skimmers, among other things.

To answer your question, there really isn't much you can do if you're set on adding that amount of fish at once, short of keeping a very close eye in ammonia and nitrite, and doing water changes to minimize the spikes.

Last edited by gbru316; 04/05/2012 at 10:58 PM.
gbru316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 05:45 AM   #8
doctorgori
Moved On

I wouldn't do this if it were me...heck if it isn't true the entire thing is almost sounds like its on a "troll" level (OP please forgive us skeptics!)

OTOH my wife did buy a "tankful" of fish from live aquaria and dumped them in at once (spare us the blast, we had numerous reasons for doing this)....

...anyway, that said: I had recalled a "experiment" on a board several years ago using BioSpira ...the concensuis was it worked (and yes this is comming from a eternal skeptic sick of being burned by the assorted snake oils passing as legit products)

...so we used Biospira in tandem with dumping a load of fish in a 150G ...
I'm not 100% endorsing it, but would rather say: "we got away with it"...

BioSpira? "maybe" there's your answer with a big disclaimer

doctorgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 06:14 AM   #9
mudpy
Registered Member

I have 3 200 gallon tanks set up on 3 separate systems meaning they each have their own bubble king 250 skimmers and separate sumps. I'm getting about 100 fish and planing on using some live rock from my display tank when the fish arrive. I'm thinking adding about 35 fish per tank. I will make sure i match the temp and ph of the water when fish arrive. How do fish stores do it? they get a lot more fish
Thanks for the help

Unread 04/06/2012, 07:45 AM   #10
Yogre
Cheesehead Reefer

I would think your biggest concern will be an ammonia spike, so you'll need to monitor ammonia closely.

I'd have plenty of Amquel, Prime or other ammonia neutralizer on hand in case ammonia starts to spike.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal TBS Reef
Yogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 08:18 AM   #11
moshi1ry
Registered Member

It would make alot more sense to have maybe 20 fish shipped at a time and slowly acclimate them. Would make a lot more sense to slowly go about adding fish. You definitely need to have your tanks already cycled this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen haha. It might cost more in shipping to have them shipped in smaller amounts but it would be alot less expensive in the long run since your going to lose less fish!

moshi1ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 08:29 AM   #12
jscarlata
Registered Member

It sounds like you are setting up 3 large qt systems, is that what's going on? You mentioned "display" separately from these 3 tanks. One thing I would say is to have a maybe 100 gallons each if mixed salt water and fresh RO water on hand for water changes. this way if you have issues you are ready with pre made water, or at he least to water that can be mixed quickly

jscarlata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 08:35 AM   #13
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

What are the long term plans for these 100 fish?

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 08:53 AM   #14
yh1185
Registered Member

I know i'm going to be bashed for suggesting this, but there have been people who have used dr.tim's nitrifying bacteria the day before they put a fish or two into an uncycled tank, and had the fish survive. It's not going to eliminate the cycle, but it did help me shorten my cycle, and people have had fish survive without a true cycle. Just something you might want to look into. (yes i know don't trust snake oils, but if there's science behind the product, i think it's worth a shot, especially if it saves a couple of fish)

Unread 04/06/2012, 10:19 AM   #15
Alexraptor
Registered Member

It all seems like a very bad idea to me.
The thing ive learned from keeping SW over the years, is that patience is a virtue.
Even a fully cycled system is going to have trouble if you add too much at once.

Alexraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 10:27 AM   #16
Soccernut5824
Registered Member

Dr.tims one and only will work and its been proven.

Current Tank Info: It's getting there
Soccernut5824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 10:46 AM   #17
djkms
Fish Freak

Call these guys

They can tell you how to do it!!

Current Tank Info: 225 Upgrade Setup 11/17/2012 72x27x27 - Custom 40g sump/Diablo DCS-250int skimmer/Blueline HD40x/2 MP40's/Tunze ATO/2 Part/BRS RODI/ Neptune apex, WXM/3 Radium 250w Galaxy Ballast/8 39w T5's/Litermeter III/Aquavitro Salinity/20%WC/Carbon/GFO/Vinegar
djkms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 10:49 AM   #18
Grendel0501
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by der_wille_zur_macht View Post
What are the long term plans for these 100 fish?

Grendel0501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2012, 12:20 PM   #19
Everyones Hero
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpy View Post
I have 3 200 gallon tanks set up on 3 separate systems meaning they each have their own bubble king 250 skimmers and separate sumps. I'm getting about 100 fish and planing on using some live rock from my display tank when the fish arrive. I'm thinking adding about 35 fish per tank. I will make sure i match the temp and ph of the water when fish arrive. How do fish stores do it? they get a lot more fish
Thanks for the help
The fish stores are running mature systems that always have a lot of fish in them so they already have the bacterial colonies established so they can deal with the ammonia the new fish are going to produce are added. We also used MicrobLift. Not sure if the Microblift did any good or not. Smelled like death.

Quote:
Is losing 200-250 fish a day acceptable?

I used to work at one of the largest pet stores on the east coast. They have several systems of 1000 gallons or more. In the salt section, a typical delivery was less than 100 fish per section. Fresh was 200-500 (although there were a lot of guppies, platys, tetra, etc).

We had 5'x5'x3' sumps for each system, the salt sections had 8' tall skimmers, among other things.

To answer your question, there really isn't much you can do if you're set on adding that amount of fish at once, short of keeping a very close eye in ammonia and nitrite, and doing water changes to minimize the spikes.
IMO- no, it wasn't acceptable. But when management only cares about the cute little fuzzy animals... Well, there's a reason I'm not there anymore.

Unread 04/06/2012, 02:24 PM   #20
mudpy
Registered Member

Yes they will be for now 3 qt tanks. I have my display tank 300 gallons but do not want to add these fish in case of decease untill at least 3 weeks. I will be keeping most of the and a few i will give to a friend. eventually i will have all the fish tanks set up for a total of about 900 gallons. I will also have 200 gallons of water mixed ready in case of ammonia spike. The reason why i'm getting about 100 is because my brother is moving and he's getting rid of his tanks

Unread 04/07/2012, 07:15 AM   #21
billsreef
10 & Over Club

I've used the fresh (you need to have it shipped overnight) bacteria that Tim Hovanec developed, and it does work to shorten the cycle considerably. It's also a bit pricey to get the fresh stuff, but it's the best way to go. Depending on your timeline, you also might be able to ramp up a good biofilter with the LR and dosing some ammonia to feed those biofilter bacteria and expand their population to accommodate the expected fish load.

As for acclimation proper...do this one box of fish at a time in dim lighting. Open box, float bags for about 15 minute to adjust temp. Remove fish from bag...if wild caught stuff do a FW dip for 1 to 5 minutes...place fish in tank...do not allow that nasty bag water into tank.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)

Current Tank Info: Far too many tanks according to my wife, LOL.
billsreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2012, 07:29 AM   #22
londonloco
Registered Member

I've read many times Dr. Tim's works. I use Seachem Stability, but for much smaller freshwater tanks (125g was the largest), and with much smaller fish loads. Stability works for me, I have never lost a fish using it.

Unread 04/07/2012, 01:19 PM   #23
mudpy
Registered Member

Thanks so much guys!! Once i get them will let you know what happened and pics. I really don't want to loose any fish so i will do my best .

Unread 04/14/2012, 04:39 PM   #24
eatbreakfast
Registered Member

why not take a bunch of water from your display and add to each of the tanks?

eatbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2012, 05:47 PM   #25
Waddleboy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatbreakfast View Post
why not take a bunch of water from your display and add to each of the tanks?
water does non contain enough bacteria to do anything here. Good luck with process keep us posted

Waddleboy is offline   Reply With Quote