Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2018, 05:19 AM   #1
five.five-six
Registered Member

ATO Pumps

I have a 135 gallon tank with metal halide lighting that is compleately cooled with evaporation. As such I pump a lot of kalkwasser with my ATO pump over the course of a year, about 800 gallons a year.

I started off with a TOM aqualifter because BRS boosts a cheep rebuild kit for it but by the time it started to wear out, BRS was out of stock of that kit. I kept my eyes open for it and even started a WTB thread but came up short. And even though BRS still hosts a video pitching the rebuild kit, they now mark that kit as discontinued.

I ended up getting a BRS 50ml paristolic pump because you can always get replacement tubing for those, right? Wrong. That pump started slowing down and when I went to order a replacement they were out. Even if they do get the proprietary tubing kit back in stock, I need a solution that dosen’t leave me needing to buy a new pump every 6 months or so.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 07:05 AM   #2
LQT
Registered Member

Look at the Spectrapure stand alone 50 ml/min peristaltic pump or the Avast Marine 25 ml/min peristaltic pump. I use the Avast pump in combination with my Tunze 3155 ATO with no complaints.

http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-OF...er-Dosing-Pump

https://www.avastmarine.com/products...r-auto-top-off

Deep Blue 57 Edge ATI Acro Garden Build Thread
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25573384#post25573384

Current Tank Info: DeepBlue 57 Edge
LQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 07:16 AM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I switched back from ATO kalk delivery to 2-part dosing for the same reason.
Just could not keep the pump running in the solution for long, unless I cleaned it regularly with vinegar....which added extra work...

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 09:15 AM   #4
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

get a tunze ato pump on ebay or amazon.
the pump can suck water down to about 1/4" level on your ATO container.
you need to hook it up to a 12v DC power supply though.
you don't want to submerge the pump in kalk solution. best setup is to pump freshwater from ATO reservoir into a kalk stirrer and the output solution dosed to your tank.

I don't know why aqualifter became popular, its a pretty lame pump. I stopped buying anything from brs many years ago.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 01:27 PM   #5
hkgar
Registered Member

I use a Cole Parmer Msterflex peristaltic pump (I got way before the prices soared on ebay), controleby Apex with a Avast Marine sensor.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 06:54 PM   #6
2000se
Registered Member

Stenner -85M5- Adjustable between 4.3gpd and 85gpd. A work horse.

Or the Cole as mentioned above.

2000se is offline   Reply With Quote