Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2018, 06:13 PM   #1
Weboh
Registered Member

Viparspectra vs. Photon 24?

I know I need another light for my 4 foot 60 gallon tank. Previously, I posted about getting another light and the consensus seemed to be a Photon 24. However, I see a Viparspectra light that has pretty good reviews and says Reef Central members helped them get the optimum layout. Would that be a good light? I see some reviews say anemones don't like it, some say SPS doesn't like it... I do have an anemone and SPS that aren't doing well under my current light, so I'd rather not have a repeat. On the other hand, if this light is nearly as good as a Photon, I'm inclined to go with it since it's a third of the price.

Weboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2018, 06:42 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I have used 2, 165watt, Visparspectra LED lights for 24 months now.
I have softies, LPS, SPS, clams and a nem, all looking great, and, I only run at 30 white 60 blue.
The light is a bit focused so I mount about 14" from the surface to spread it out

Some find the draw back is that you only have a two channel timer control, no special effects and IOS software, no ability to custom blend the colours, no ramp up/down.

It appears my inhabitants don't care.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2018, 06:57 PM   #3
lpsouth1978
Registered Member

Of the "Black Box" LED's, I think that Viparspectra is among the top. That being said, there is still a lot to be desired. Until about a week ago, I was using a Mars Aqua and was pretty happy with it, but not thrilled. Then I decided to switch to the AI Prime. The difference is night and day! I will never go back to the Black box again, my tank just didn't look great, I had algae growing that I couldn't get rid of and my corals were doing ok. After switching to the Prime, my corals have really responded well and look 600% better, the algae is almost completely gone, and I am a happy camper.

Viparspectra, may have taken info from these bards, and maybe even some members here to decide on the wavelengths to use, but Ecotech and AI have spent years and fortunes researching and testing to find the best spectrums and layouts for our tanks. You can absolutely keep anything under the Viparspectra light, but it is definitely not as user friendly for you or your tank inhabitants.

Unread 08/14/2018, 10:11 AM   #4
reefteaser
Convince'em or confuse'em

Been using photon V2 for a little over two years now with great results. It replaced two ecoxotic fixtures and the difference was dramatic. Logan’s customer service has been terrific.

reefteaser is offline   Reply With Quote