Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/02/2017, 06:36 AM   #76
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangy View Post
Groovy as Perry! Definitely really interesting to hear about the faux rock doing that as I used the same rock but didn't face those issues. Maybe there was something in the batch that was causing an excess leaching! It's good that you're not crazy though

Hey Mate,
I did my do diligence in eliminating possibilities, I documented test after test for about 2 months. Each week before a 20% water change, I saw 1.5dkh increases, without any dosing. Given I have frags and the demand would be low, I knew I should slowly see alk decrease throughout the week, and likely a 25% water change would suffice until they took off. I finally decided to do some research, the only thing that I could logically think of is something sourcing alk back into the water. I checked RODI and it was like it should be, zero. So I pulled all decorative rock except one small piece, it too was later found to be leaching in very small amounts. I tested the bin where I stored the decorative rock and noticed that the alk climbed in that tank, whereas my display started to slowly stabilize. Not sure what or why, and up to this point, I have never really had anything negative with RRR. In a larger system with larger corals, likely you would never detect. Anyway, my structure was reduced to one single larger shelf of Fiji live rock, that was air freighted in, I will only use real live rock with any new display moving forward, some drawbacks, but paling in comparison to the benefits Cheers

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/04/2017, 12:55 PM   #77
Zoahoarder
Registered Member

Dang that's crazy how the rock was leaching alk. Glad you found the source of the problem so you can get some sps in the tank. Looks great by the way.

Zoahoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2017, 09:50 AM   #78
plyle02
Registered Member

Balance and low nutrients bringing in some color shifts, thanks for looking.

[IMG]IMG_8420******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8419******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8418******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8417******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8412******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8404******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8403******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8400******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8398******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8397******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 08/05/2017, 04:50 PM   #79
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Looking good!

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2017, 11:43 PM   #80
Wrangy
Acrotrooper

Gettin' groovy Perry

Courtesy of Nils:
"you are welcome to your nem / flub tank because we need people like you to balance the sick ( sick in the head SPS OCD ) speaking for myself here!!"
Wrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/06/2018, 09:57 AM   #81
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Any updates, Perry?

Unread 01/08/2018, 06:21 AM   #82
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Any updates, Perry?
Oh yeah,
Definitely updates, but since my current project was rebooted, due to loss of ALL acros after Irma power outage, I did salvage some softies, and decided to take some time and allow the system to run sort of fallow. Not much in the way of dosing, routine, management, just kept the basics running and allowed my piece of Fiji LR completely cycle. I have since transitioned this tank to softie dominated bottom part of the reef, and have slowly started adding LPS, orange torch, acans, duncan, and also a cultured electric blue maxima clam. I also added bubblegum monti, and a piece of BOP BN. They are all doing very well at this point, and the system is giving me confidence to start adding acros again. I have a large top reef area where my final coral additions will be made. I would like to say that my mushroom collection/ passion inspired my return. The colors available are sick! The tank design is to run a clean colorful mixed reef. So I guess I can begin posting here again, lol The tank is super simple, I will update with photos, and equipment list, and all dosing, etc. The tank is lit by a single LED pendant that is 96 watts of 3 watt crees. Block 2 LED prototype, this thing puts out a ton of light, have plans to add 4 t5's, stay tuned
Cheers and Happy New Year!

Unread 01/08/2018, 08:02 AM   #83
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Looking forward to the pics!

Unread 01/08/2018, 09:06 AM   #84
drawman
Registered Member

Hey Perry sorry to hear about the acro loss! Good to see you on here with the build though I hope all is well. Time to add some acros I think

Current tanks:
30 gallon rimless, G2 radion, Vertex 130, MP10w
60 gallon rimless, G3 radion, Vertex 130, MP40QD
drawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2018, 07:29 PM   #85
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Perry, sorry to hear but I’m glad you’re still tinkering!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/14/2018, 07:41 AM   #86
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Looking forward to the pics!
I am going to try and get some pics today, kind of difficult with the blue in the led, but I can tweak my schedule and intensify the whites during photos, then post process for color rendering. I have always found that t5's are easiest for taking quality pics... I will give it the ole college try, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawman View Post
Hey Perry sorry to hear about the acro loss! Good to see you on here with the build though I hope all is well. Time to add some acros I think
Hey Tim, no worries... Irma was very scary, and Matthew year before was bad in our area as well. We were VERY lucky, but ended up being in direct path in our area as Irma passed by. We did fine with damage, lost power for a week, and the tank quite honestly was not of my concerns, we were lucky! That all being said, this gave me a chance to A. play around and learn led's B. Reboot with something less difficult to manage C. Enjoy reefing again from the ground up D. Little stress managing softies, so the tank became fun again

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Hey Perry, sorry to hear but I’m glad you’re still tinkering!
Hi Matt, long time my friend! Tinkering again yes, good to start adding sps to this tank design, I am more than satisfied with the appearance of this tank. I have some crazy rhodactis shrooms, bounce, 12 different paly species, maxima clam, beautiful neon toady, some acans, orange torch, some real quality ultra and rainbow corals for sure. Yesterday I purchased a blue tipped granulosa, and A. Rosaria. Both were chunky fresh cuts from maricultured shipment that were going for over a year at my LFS. I also have bubblegum monti digi, and ORA BOP BN. That is now 4 SPS, I will be adding about 10-15 more sps, and continue with my paly and shroom craze. Will be updating lighting soon, and it will by hybrid for sure. I really want that new ATI hybrid t5/led lamp, just beautiful!!!

Unread 01/14/2018, 08:57 AM   #87
plyle02
Registered Member

Here is a pic from this morning. The corals are still small, but progress being made

[IMG]IMG_8878******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

Unread 01/27/2018, 05:55 AM   #88
plyle02
Registered Member

Couple hardware additions to the tank and pic for reference.
1. Tunze 9040 controllable nano wavemaker pump
2. Aquatic Life Hybrid 24" 4x24 watt t5(2 KZ Super Blue, 1 ATI Coral Plus, 1 ATI Actinic)

Did not care for the hanging kit, but luckily I already had suspension cables in place, so I modified. The LED panel was able to be mounted and looks amazing. The t5's are definitely throwing much more light than expected, so I had to tune down my led and cut whites out completely. I am very impressed, and at the price point, I figured why not try. Glad I did, this looks awesome! Here is a quick pic taken last night

[IMG]IMG_8987******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

Unread 01/27/2018, 09:06 AM   #89
plyle02
Registered Member

Still in process of collecting SPS. The tank is full of other corals, but here are some of my 6 SPS corals at the moment.

[IMG]IMG_9022******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9018******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9016******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9015******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9010******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9007******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

Unread 01/27/2018, 09:10 AM   #90
plyle02
Registered Member

Some other additional angles of the tank

[IMG]IMG_8999******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_8998******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9031******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9032******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

Unread 01/27/2018, 09:35 AM   #91
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Perry looking good. I like the concept of the aquatic life fixtures. Nice versatility.
I forget, which leds are you using?
I thought the 24 inch only accommodated one led.. looks like you have two in there.. I like that as well.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 01/27/2018, 10:44 AM   #92
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Perry looking good. I like the concept of the aquatic life fixtures. Nice versatility.
I forget, which leds are you using?
I thought the 24 inch only accommodated one led.. looks like you have two in there.. I like that as well.

Hey Matt,
Using HME Block2 LED
Here are the specs:
BLOCK 2C

CCT:20000K
​LED: 6500K Cool white /CREE XP-G2 8pcs
390nm UV /Semiled C3535 2pcs
410nm UV /Semiled C3535 2pcs
450nm Royal blue /CREE XTE 12pcs
470nm Blue /CREE XBD 4pcs
505nm Cyan /OSRAM OSLON 2pcs
660nm Deep Red /OSRAM OSLON 2pcs
LED MAX Power: 140W
Adapter: Input: 85~264VAC
Output: 15V/9.6A

Unread 01/27/2018, 10:52 AM   #93
plyle02
Registered Member

Matt,
I am certain that the LED lamp alone is well enough for the tank, but I wanted to have best of both worlds. I will point out that there was little shading on corals, the spread was nice stand alone. I have had good success for many years with t5's. I have learned more about LED's and can say that I am very happy combing proven technology and flat light with the brilliance of LED. I am not using any whites at all on the LED, but they peak at 80%. I use only 10% peak on Cyan/ Green(same channel), and UV at 15% peak. It is in my thoughts that they are not so necessary, specifically with my color scheme in the t5's. The color scheme is brilliant alone, but the LED blues really help with pop.

Unread 01/27/2018, 11:38 AM   #94
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Matt,
I am certain that the LED lamp alone is well enough for the tank, but I wanted to have best of both worlds. I will point out that there was little shading on corals, the spread was nice stand alone. I have had good success for many years with t5's. I have learned more about LED's and can say that I am very happy combing proven technology and flat light with the brilliance of LED. I am not using any whites at all on the LED, but they peak at 80%. I use only 10% peak on Cyan/ Green(same channel), and UV at 15% peak. It is in my thoughts that they are not so necessary, specifically with my color scheme in the t5's. The color scheme is brilliant alone, but the LED blues really help with pop.
Great looking tank.
Sorry maybe I missed it.
What bulb combo are you running for the T5's? I run something similar on my shallow reef , 2 AI 26's with 4 T5's. Just curious what others running hybrids run for the combo.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 11:51 AM   #95
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
Great looking tank.
Sorry maybe I missed it.
What bulb combo are you running for the T5's? I run something similar on my shallow reef , 2 AI 26's with 4 T5's. Just curious what others running hybrids run for the combo.
Hello, and thank you very much!

Front to back postioning:
1. KZ Super Blue
2. ATI Coral Plus
****LED PANEL(HME BLOCK2C)****
3. ATI True Actinic
4. KZ Super Blue

Unread 01/27/2018, 12:16 PM   #96
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Hello, and thank you very much!

Front to back postioning:
1. KZ Super Blue
2. ATI Coral Plus
****LED PANEL(HME BLOCK2C)****
3. ATI True Actinic
4. KZ Super Blue
Nice. Very close to mine, only difference is I use Blue+ rather than the KZ since ATI is pretty much all that is available in town.

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 03:09 PM   #97
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapreef View Post
Nice. Very close to mine, only difference is I use Blue+ rather than the KZ since ATI is pretty much all that is available in town.
Yep,
I have used both, and they are VERY comparable in terms of color. I was turned on to KZ back in 2007, anytime I can get a deal, which I did, I choose them, otherwise, it is ATI all the way. I love KZ Fiji Purple, but, I think that ATI Coral Plus and the Actinic are a perfect compliment to blue bulbs. Nice thing is, that the LED panel gives me plenty of options to dial in the perfect spectrum Cheers!

Unread 01/27/2018, 03:59 PM   #98
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Perry, I’ve done the same with my AI Primes.. whites are at 10% when maxed, I turned the red and green off completely and only use the uv, violet, and the blues..
I like the color combo on that block2c. Gonna check it out..

Unread 01/28/2018, 08:38 AM   #99
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Perry, I’ve done the same with my AI Primes.. whites are at 10% when maxed, I turned the red and green off completely and only use the uv, violet, and the blues..
I like the color combo on that block2c. Gonna check it out..
Hey Matt,
The light is pretty powerful, again, stand alone I could have pulled it off, but there is something that t5 brings, specifically as it relates to certain acros. I was really close to going with Atlantik V4 Compact, which would have been insane, but already had this lamp, and been watching this Aquatic Life fixture, and said, what the heck, turned out perfect. Now I have all the power and control I need. The t5's are not as powerful as ATI for example, but powerful enough to grow acros at the depth they have been placed. Fixture is 10" off the water line,n tank depth 21". The LED will take care of the rest, and the blue spectrum, as I understand it, is the only one the corals need to fluoresce and grow, but don't quote me, lol..

Unread 02/03/2018, 08:23 AM   #100
plyle02
Registered Member

Hey guys,
Progress being made, was able to get a few updated photos. Taken under only t5 lamps, so colors are not quite as sweet as when LED on, post rendered to appear as close to possible as what the eye sees. I have now upped my acro game. Currently have 8 acros, and total of 11 sps corals. I have plans to add a few more of all variety of corals, but have specific corals planned for remaining real-state. Cheers!

[IMG]IMG_9127******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9126******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9129******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9128******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9121******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9119******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9106******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9101******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_9100******** async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">[/IMG]