Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2010, 10:05 AM   #51
austin93
Don't Panic!

Has anyone found this stuff in the regular stores yet? I would rather just order this stuff from somewhere instead of directly from Kent via email and such. Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 30 Rimless
austin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 11:05 AM   #52
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

According to Jon, this should hit the shelves in about 3 weeks. He's still waiting on final packaging. If you want it that bad, you should order it through him

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 01:59 PM   #53
Bmwtechray
Registered Member

I remember John saying 100gph per liter of media

Bmwtechray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 02:20 PM   #54
tony varrell
Registered Member

So is the claim that by using this product you could eliminate both NO3 AND PO4 reactors and maintaine the same water quality?

tony varrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 02:24 PM   #55
agsansoo
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony varrell View Post
So is the claim that by using this product you could eliminate both NO3 AND PO4 reactors and maintaine the same water quality?
Yes, within reason. If your an over feeder and have too many fish, you might have to run gfo to keep up with the higher than normal nutrients levels.

Current Tank Info: Barebottom, 65 Bow-Front, 20 gal sump/fuge, octo extreme 160, (2) Lumen Max3 250W w/ XM 20k's, 2 VHO Actinic and (1) VorTech MP40w & (1) VorTech MP10
agsansoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 02:26 PM   #56
Moser
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, in most cases. We have heard of cases where phos media may still be required if there is any residual phosphate, but it should still be less than otherwise required....

Mo

Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 02:43 PM   #57
tony varrell
Registered Member

Is it just as effective on larger tanks? How much would be required for 400 gallons of water? How much would it cost and how ofter would you have to fill the reactor back up? I am a heavy feeded but maintane NO3 .50PPM and PO4 .06 with my current setup but the GFO cost a fortune and the carbon based NO3 reactor is a PITA. My tank has large angles and SPS. This could be interesting.

tony varrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 04:05 PM   #58
PowermanKW
Registered Member

500ml /100g of water. $35/500ml...I know it is cheaper than $70 for 1000ml but not sure the exact amount.

90g RR SPS dominate. WM K2 skimmer /red nw. 60g fuge/sump. Upgraded Coralife Pro 250w w/ dual Galaxy and 14K Phoenix with 2x96 SPS dual actinic. Apex controller with WXM and two MP40s. Herbie overflow. Now running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets.
PowermanKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 04:08 PM   #59
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Jon did say as low as 100gph for 500ml.... but I'm not real comfortable with that. That is not very much flow. I don't want "high" flow.... I just want the pellets to be expanded and moving a bit just so I know detritus isn't building up or getting caught. So that is where I have my flow at in my reactor.

90g RR SPS dominate. WM K2 skimmer /red nw. 60g fuge/sump. Upgraded Coralife Pro 250w w/ dual Galaxy and 14K Phoenix with 2x96 SPS dual actinic. Apex controller with WXM and two MP40s. Herbie overflow. Now running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets.
Unread 05/18/2010, 04:15 PM   #60
Moser
Registered Member

Quote:
Is it just as effective on larger tanks? How much would be required for 400 gallons of water? How much would it cost and how ofter would you have to fill the reactor back up? I am a heavy feeded but maintane NO3 .50PPM and PO4 .06 with my current setup but the GFO cost a fortune and the carbon based NO3 reactor is a PITA. My tank has large angles and SPS. This could be interesting.
Apparently so. Dose 1 litre per 100Gallons water, with 100 gph flow per liter of pellets.
I think usage is fairly slow, so you shouldn't need to replace the full volume roughly for a year or so, but slow top ups required.

Mo

Unread 05/18/2010, 04:21 PM   #61
PowermanKW
Registered Member

It's 500ml per 100g of water.... not 1 liter.

Unread 05/18/2010, 04:24 PM   #62
Moser
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowermanKW View Post
It's 500ml per 100g of water.... not 1 liter.
I read it as 500ml- 1L per 100G, but apparently you can't overdose according to the developer, so I'm guessing you can build up to 1L per 100G...

Mo

Unread 05/20/2010, 02:02 PM   #63
Buganddoug
X NJRC Vice President

OK, I got mine yesterday. How do we know when they are worn out? Do they change color or do they breakdown? Would it be better if I take out my carbon from my reactor and put in the Bio Pellet? I would them let my carbon sit in a bag in side my sump with good water flow going at it? Or keep my carbon in the reactor and let the Pellet be in my sump with good water flow going at it"?

Current Tank Info: 220 Gallon Heavily stock tank Reef and Fish. 100 gallon sump, ATI Power cone IS Protein skimmer, Warner Warine MR100. 4 AI Hydra 52 HD LEDS running Warner Marine EcoBAK bio pellets,Warner Marine additives
Buganddoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2010, 04:03 PM   #64
solitude127
Proud user of IO Salt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buganddoug View Post
OK, I got mine yesterday. How do we know when they are worn out? Do they change color or do they breakdown? Would it be better if I take out my carbon from my reactor and put in the Bio Pellet? I would them let my carbon sit in a bag in side my sump with good water flow going at it? Or keep my carbon in the reactor and let the Pellet be in my sump with good water flow going at it"?
According to Jon, the bacteria consumes these pellets therefore needing replenishing. I would separate the Carbon and the Pellets into 2 different reactors.

ReefKeeping.com TOTM Nov 2012
Socalireefs Featured Reef Oct 2011

Current Tank Info: 60*30*20, 8x54 ATI Powermodule, ReefBrite XHO, ATB Elegance 200, Aquamaxx CTech CaRx, Ecotech Vortechs, Apex Controls, WM Ecobak powered. RedSea Reefer 170, MP10, Apex Jr, Ecotech Radion XR15, Aquamaxx WS-1
solitude127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2010, 07:14 AM   #65
reefkt
Registered Member

I am so exciting!!!
I got mine from Jon at March SCMAS club meeting (3/19).
Phosphate dropped from 0.05 ppm to 0.02 ppm in one month (3/19~4/16, both are Hanna Photometer result, test done by Steve Garrett)
Last night Mario test the sample for me during club meeting (5/21, using Hanna Photometer), the number hold at 0.02 ppm
No GFO

reefkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2010, 08:41 AM   #66
PowermanKW
Registered Member

That's what I'm hoping for too. I was going to test some mysis water to see how much PO4 was in it. If I can reduce that, and run the pellets, I think I can get away from GFO.

If that turns out to be true, then I'm paying $75 a year in GFO and so far pellets will be $35. Judging by expected consumption rates this will still come out much cheaper with the added benefit of more nitrate reduction.

Now if all this means my cheato in the fuge dies off, then I am planning on turning that into a cryptic/semi-criptic zone. We'll see... still a ways to go.

Unread 05/22/2010, 11:27 PM   #67
lex211
Registered Member

I Started using this 4 days ago now i am seeing allot of red cino on my rock why?

lex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2010, 12:08 AM   #68
Psionicdragon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex211 View Post
I Started using this 4 days ago now i am seeing allot of red cino on my rock why?
it could be the media fueling the cyano.

Unread 05/23/2010, 12:31 AM   #69
lex211
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionicdragon View Post
I have the return from reactor running to a tee that I placed over the intake to the skimmer pump is there any thing else that I can do?

lex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2010, 01:51 PM   #70
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psionicdragon View Post
But that was one of the advantages of pellets of not adding the carbon to the whole tank.

I don't really know, curious myself. I have some cyano too, but hard to attribute it to this. Never had any before, but then started dosing more food. So then it went away and now it is back, but not sure why or if things will settle out.

Unread 05/23/2010, 02:09 PM   #71
ChuckG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowermanKW View Post
But that was one of the advantages of pellets of not adding the carbon to the whole tank.

I don't really know, curious myself. I have some cyano too, but hard to attribute it to this. Never had any before, but then started dosing more food. So then it went away and now it is back, but not sure why or if things will settle out.
My experience thus far with the N/P version is that some carbon might find it's way to the display. Whether it is the raw material (I doubt) or sloughed off bacteria (more likely) that makes it into the display to decay I am not sure. Either way I have had some teething problems integrating and some things I would recommend to anyone new to this type of media to at least consider and keep an eye out for.

1) If your tank already has low readings for PO4, NO3, and has no active or viable nuisance algae growths then I'd suggest starting with a lower dose than is recommended for your tanks volume, monitor N03 and PO4 and add more pellets as needed.

2) Point the output of the reactor at your skimmer inlet as best as possible and make sure the skimmer is running optimally.

3) If you have low PH over night in your tank, then the efficiency of carbon dosing (low nutrient) combined with high CO2 levels might provide an environment conducive to a dinoflagellite bloom. Any bacteria sloughed out of the reactor and not captured by a skimmer might be used by the dinos as food also.

ChuckG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2010, 03:09 PM   #72
hardiel
Registered Member

3 weeks ago I also restarted my 100G tank. I have a coil denitrator and (of course) shows 0 as nitrates.The tank is around 2 or so. Just a little bit "less yellow" so I don't really have a problems with nitrates thus far. I know I will, so I'm interested in this new pellet technology that it seems it improves both coil and sulfur denitrators.

There are a couple of questions that come to mind:

1.: I thought that the school of though that was in favor in dosing vodka (came from Germany I believe) was already dead since it had more problems and after long use didn't prove very effective.

2.: If this new technology is directed to take of P and N, why would occur these cyano outbreaks that some people report? why? cyano has no P and no N, so even if there's no enough water movement, bad lightning or any other circumstances it would starve, right?

Just curious and following up on this new way of getting rid of the nasty.

tl;dr(Too long; didn't read): 1: I thought vodka dosing was something of the past and 2: why the cyano outbreak?

hardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 09:11 AM   #73
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

1. Vodka dosing is alive and well. I've been using it for over 16 months along with some vinegar with good results in nitrate and phoshate reduction as have others.

2. The cyanobacteria may be fueled by excess organic carbon deposited by miscible organic carbon from the pellets or some other component of the pellets or by product of the polymer breakdown.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2010, 06:06 PM   #74
PowermanKW
Registered Member

Well, I probably being a little silly. So I did some rearranging in the tank. I had some Monti that was really overgrowing and a bunch of new frags to place. So I took out the Idaho Grape colony, and capped off the remaining stuff stuck to the rock with putty to kill it off. Probably a 25 sq. in area.

I also put 4 rocks in I had taken out before. I scrubbed them as best I could and was not too worried about amount.

Well with all that, I have no doubt it is at least contributing to my cyano, if not down right causing it. I didn't really think about the recent changes till tonight.

My pellets are starting to stick together a bit. Easy enough to break up. Just noting the change.

Unread 05/26/2010, 09:16 PM   #75
cunningham
Registered Member

water?

I have had 750ml of Warner pellets running for 3 days in a 500 TLC Reactor and my water is not as clear (cloudy) as it was prior to adding the pellets also I put in a 150 TLC Reactor with carbon, what do you guys think?
Thanks
Danny

Current Tank Info: 95g Mixed reef bowfront, 30g sump with refugium, 2-250w Radium Halides with Galaxy Ballasts and T-5s, Bubble King Mini 200,2 MP-40s, 1/4 HP Aqua Euro Chiller. 135 FOWLR Triggers,Tangs, and cycling a 24 g. Nano
cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote