Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 05/07/2012, 09:13 AM   #1226
Travis1787
Registered Member

Yea ianwraab is right I take that back I haven't heard bad things from ali express ... As long as they stick by there 3 year warranty theyy might be the best....

This is with the shipping back and forth to china after the first year if something goes wrong that could add up or you have to know how to install it on your own and they will send you parts but I guess that's better then being SOL lol

Unread 05/07/2012, 09:25 AM   #1227
Travis1787
Registered Member

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkenny76 View Post
Morning Guys , ive been running the TaoTronics units for a little over 3 months now , i have them on top of the canopy and ive got chalices and zoes on the sandbed along with a large clam, everything is fine and responding well.i bought the 20k fixture , i like the color and look is really nice. i have 3 over my 220DT. 84x24x24.
Which led ratio is considered the 20k unit from tao?

Unread 05/07/2012, 09:33 AM   #1228
bigkenny76
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis1787 View Post
M

Which led ratio is considered the 20k unit from tao?
Whats up Travis1787,

It has 30 blue and 25 white

Unread 05/07/2012, 10:10 AM   #1229
kbell2433
Registered Member

Quote:
i just don't trust the ebay seller to still be around when something goes wrong ... He got his at newegg.com and although its a tad more they seem more reliable if something goes wrong so its work the extra and its not even that much extra ....
My guess is the ebay seller is just ordering them in bulk from china or drop shipping. They are not warranteeing them. They will tell you to return them to the manufacturer for service if it's after there 7 or 14 day return policy.

Anyone can sell on ebay even you. But they are warrenteed by the manufacturer. New Egg might have a 30 day return policy but after that they will probably tell you the same as an ebay seller.

Last edited by kbell2433; 05/07/2012 at 10:21 AM.
Unread 05/07/2012, 11:11 AM   #1230
Travis1787
Registered Member

Yea as of now I am leaning towards these aliexpress ones or the aquarium leds one.....

Also sam emailed me and cleared up the coverage thing he is gonna email me back with an exact coverage area later but he said at around 15 inches on height it will cover a 24" long area. So my apology for my earlier post on the coverage of there units sounding poor it was a misunderstanding

Unread 05/07/2012, 11:25 AM   #1231
ianrusso
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmorehead View Post
6"

6" Centered (Blue ON, White ON) => 793

6" Centered (Blue OFF, White ON) => 203

6" Centered (Blue ON, White OFF) => 591

2"

2" Centered (Blue ON, White ON) => 1569

2" Centered (Blue OFF, White ON) => 382

2" Centered (Blue ON, White OFF) => 1183

Your PAR Ratings might bevery high on all of those, however they will be about 40% less once you actually put them above water. You lose a significant amount of Par as soon as the water reflects the light out.

Unread 05/07/2012, 11:44 AM   #1232
TropTrea
Registered Member

the above numbers are interesting. But it would be much more practical if the numbers were taken at various heights up to 30" above the sensor level. Then ploted to see what kind of spread those par numbers are creating.

What I find interesting though is that par numbers for Blues is higher than the PAr numbers for the whites? This fixture must have a lot more Blue LED's in it than white LED's. While that is good point remember PAR meters are generaly more sensative to red light than blue light. But corals love blue light more than red light.

Unfortunatly if you ran these same test also with three different brands of PAR meters you would probably get three different sets of numbers as well.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
Unread 05/07/2012, 11:45 AM   #1233
Ianwraab
Moved On

So true

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropTrea View Post
Trying to rate lighting fixtures that are made in a foreign country and marketed from a foreign country is very difficult. This is especialy true sine thay are not liable by any of our truth in advertising laws.

the only true ways to rate them would be if some none biased individual would put each of them under a spectrum anylizer to see how much light at what wave lenghts they are actualy producing. Then run the lights for an extended period of time and watch for break downs and degradation of the light comming from them.

With LED's long range testing is especialy true because there are so many variable with heat being one that can completly change the picture between a system right out of the box and one that has been running for year or two.

Bhe best advise I can give is generaly an individual gets what they paid for. If the $150.00 gixtures were as good as the $2,000 fixtures then no one would be buying the $2,000 fixtures. However I have yet to see a manufactured fixture out there one could not build themselves in the same price range and know exactly what they have.
I got the evergrow I figure worst case I can resell or use on a frag tank$$$$
But honestly... If I can build it then a manufacturing company can mass produce... Do you buy generic medication or pay 40% more or name brand?
Why do you think generic is cheaper... Not made under same US laws... Aka overseas or Canada... You care more for your tank then your body?

LEDs are simple stuff..they'd guys bought a schematic, bought a ton of material in bulk... Not they sell cheep to move product.

.some company's put a blue temp readout on there lights and charge $200 more look at the mid range models vs. the high range models...cuz it looks cool can cost a bunch too ya know...

Unread 05/07/2012, 11:52 AM   #1234
Ianwraab
Moved On

Well... That's just great

Ok ok ok...
I'm just haven a laugh...

Ianrusso.... Those are great pictures but can u please explain wat tea funk it has to do with cheep aquarium lights vs brand name fixtures?
Are those aquarium lights they are using?
If so what kind?

If not... Well great pictures anyway...

Last edited by Ianwraab; 05/07/2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Mis mpell
Unread 05/07/2012, 11:52 AM   #1235
pwreef
Registered Member

Quote:
ali express ... As long as they stick by there 3 year warranty theyy might be the best....
I would not be holding out for that. Aliexpress is just a marketplace for 1000s Chinese manufacturers. If that manufacturer disappears/goes out of business/changes name. Good luck getting in touch with them. Personally I expect 0% customer service on anything I buy from China/HK.
To give you an example. I bought a remote controlled helicopter. It was bad out of the box. They said: okay ship it back. Its a 2 lb item. Cost $50. Shipping cost to HK by regular untracked mail is $25 or so from USPS. Now imagine you have to send a 20 lb light. Not discouraging completely, but just be aware.

Unread 05/07/2012, 12:01 PM   #1236
nine8taco
Registered Member

theres definitely alot of advantages to buying name brand but for me a i just cant justify the cost. if and when i ditch my halides for LED it will probably be chinese led diy job

Unread 05/07/2012, 12:12 PM   #1237
bhazard451
Registered Member.

Does anyone sell a leg bracket for these? I'm not too fond of hanging it, and my tank is right up against a wall, so I cant use the Aquaticlife hanging stand kit.

Unread 05/07/2012, 12:14 PM   #1238
Ianwraab
Moved On

Well maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwreef View Post
I would not be holding out for that. Aliexpress is just a marketplace for 1000s Chinese manufacturers. If that manufacturer disappears/goes out of business/changes name. Good luck getting in touch with them. Personally I expect 0% customer service on anything I buy from China/HK.
To give you an example. I bought a remote controlled helicopter. It was bad out of the box. They said: okay ship it back. Its a 2 lb item. Cost $50. Shipping cost to HK by regular untracked mail is $25 or so from USPS. Now imagine you have to send a 20 lb light. Not discouraging completely, but just be aware.
Honestly I can't worry about that till it happens because I have been screwed by apple and best buy in the past... Ali marketplace processed the payment it but the led manufacture was in contact with me before and after the sale...they set up some customizations I requested ( Tao and eshine woulda laughed at me if I asked for that )

As with any major electronic purchase Gather info, make decision, hope for best...

Remember the Chinese are building what we are buying and there is a big market for LEDs grow lights in America and Canada...

I'm worked for years in logistics and CPU manufacturing If it's made in china and warehoused in America it's gonna cost more just because of that..Because the US retailer is importing and paying rent,utilities, and salaries (all cost more in America then china ) these company's pass that bill straight to the end customer.( still think you get what you pay for?)
If my fixture breaks I can buy a brand new fixture and still not have spent as much as a name brand would cost....

Lastly remember ALL OF THE FIXTURES WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ARE MADE IN CHINA!TIWAN!OR JAPAN!

Ps... My light is 4 lbs and ill most likely ask for replacement parts to fix myself to save time and money... If your light gets damaged shipping back to manufacturer then it voids the warranty... Best to hand deliver or ask for replacement parts ...

Unread 05/07/2012, 12:19 PM   #1239
Ianwraab
Moved On

New forum for fixture mounting and ideas and product sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard451 View Post
Does anyone sell a leg bracket for these? I'm not too fond of hanging it, and my tank is right up against a wall, so I cant use the Aquaticlife hanging stand kit.
I got a new forum for the hanging and design of fixture mounting ideas.

This site (you guys) helped me locate a lot of sites and filter prices...
I wanna apply that to hanging ideas...

I'll be posting some ideas and diagrams soon so subscribe and post som pictures of your rack!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...8&goto=newpost

Unread 05/08/2012, 06:29 AM   #1240
blasto_master
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianwraab View Post
I got a new forum for the hanging and design of fixture mounting ideas.

This site (you guys) helped me locate a lot of sites and filter prices...
I wanna apply that to hanging ideas...

I'll be posting some ideas and diagrams soon so subscribe and post som pictures of your rack!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...8&goto=newpost
That is what I am talking about! I am kind of wary putting my led fixtures right on top of the egg crate, but at the same time I don't want to hang them from the ceiling. (looking for another way) P.S I love this thread!

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon SPS/ 55 Gallon Zoa
Unread 05/08/2012, 06:53 AM   #1241
Travis1787
Registered Member

Illl have a canopy to hang mine in but check out what bigcountry used to hang his it was a great iidea he is in this thread more so in thee top ten pages I think but you can find his build thread if ya find his user name ....

Unread 05/08/2012, 12:30 PM   #1242
bhazard451
Registered Member.

I figured out a cheap DIY solution to the lack of leg mounts for this kit. I'm going to use my old metal halide kit legs and either run an adjustable track from leg to leg, or just glue a sturdy piece of wood/metal or plastic from leg to leg. I'll then use tape, glue, or velcro to attach to the led unit. I can glue two pieces of wood width wise for further stability.

The legs can be found here. It has the option to be adjustable, and I don't have to drill into my ceiling, stand, or walls. Total cost < $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mounting-Leg...ht_1619wt_1026

Last edited by bhazard451; 05/08/2012 at 01:21 PM.
Unread 05/08/2012, 01:18 PM   #1243
kbell2433
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbell2433 View Post
Does anyone have a link to a 120w dimmable led with cheap priceing besides aliexpress. there payment system does not work for me.
Ok i talked with sam from evergrow and he sent me a new link from aliexpress that the payment system worked for me.

He made this one for me. Dimmable 30blue 25white with 90degree LED's

and No Optical lenses. for my under 24" deep tank

Here it is, http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/5...um-lights.html
ty sam

Kurt

Unread 05/08/2012, 01:27 PM   #1244
Travis1787
Registered Member

I'm still confused on the whole optics no optics(my tank is exactly 24 tall and the 90 degree or 120 degree stuff

Unread 05/08/2012, 02:26 PM   #1245
Chromey316
Registered Member

24Xwhat? The 120' optics will have more spred less penetration, The 90's will hit the bottom stronger, BUT might burn anything thats too high.

Unread 05/08/2012, 03:13 PM   #1246
Travis1787
Registered Member

60 long by 18 wide by 24 tall

Unread 05/08/2012, 03:28 PM   #1247
meat1974
Registered Member

Have you guys looked at reefcatalyst.com. I talked to Marcello from there today and they sound really good. They are also on YouTube. Does anyone know what happen to nanocustom.com? They had some good lighting for small tanks.

Current Tank Info: 72 gallon reef tank, 20 gallon sump with refuge, mag 5 return pump, ins180 Reef Dynamics skimmer, diy light fixture 2x175 watt metal halide & 4x65 watt compact florescent. 8 gallon bio-cube with middle diy refugium.
Unread 05/08/2012, 03:30 PM   #1248
jfeva0049
Registered Member

anyone have any input on these new version black boxes??????

http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Des...d_sim_sbs_hi_2

???????

Unread 05/08/2012, 03:35 PM   #1249
meat1974
Registered Member

I know my last post was off topic a little. I'm sorry. I read all 50 pages of this thread and I have to say although I'm very interested in the China black box LEDs, I a little skeptical of them. I need more good news about them.

Current Tank Info: 72 gallon reef tank, 20 gallon sump with refuge, mag 5 return pump, ins180 Reef Dynamics skimmer, diy light fixture 2x175 watt metal halide & 4x65 watt compact florescent. 8 gallon bio-cube with middle diy refugium.
Unread 05/08/2012, 04:46 PM   #1250
blasto_master
Registered Member

Does anyone have a picture of how the different optics look? For example: 120 degrees 90 degrees 60 degrees. How do I know what my lights have?

Current Tank Info: 120 Gallon SPS/ 55 Gallon Zoa
Closed Thread

Tags
equipment, led, lighting