Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/26/2018, 08:07 PM   #1
allendehl
Registered Member

H Mag looking poor

Hey guys,

My H Mag went through heavy cipro treatment about 6 month ago. Recovered well but hasn't recovered color yet.
The last couple of months it is not looking like before, it's a bit shrunk and not fully extended.
Here is a pic. I haven't fed her in a while to avoid stressing her even more.
Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/26/2018, 09:00 PM   #2
davocean
Registered Member

I'd squirt mysis towards it a couple times a week, that will feed w/out stress.
It looks pretty bleached from what I can tell in those pics.
What lights are you running?

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2018, 11:11 AM   #3
pfan151
Registered Member

It definitely should have regained color in six months. It may just not have any Zooxanthellae left so it can’t recover it’s color. If you have another healthy anemone you can cut off a tentacle, stuff it in a piece of shrimp, and feed it to the mag. It looks like the anemone is declining due to lack of nutrition to me.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2018, 11:27 AM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

Nutrition is achieved two ways, either light, or foods.
If they are bleached, they lack the zoo they need to process light into usable energy, so then they require spot feeding, and small easily digestable foods like mysis are best in bringing back to health w/ out stressing it.

Once it regains health and color, light alone is all they need.

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
Unread 04/28/2018, 02:14 AM   #5
allendehl
Registered Member

Thank you all. I was feeding her pieces of shrimp and krill. I'll change to mysis.
One question, how you spot feed her the mysis so it doesn't go floating before she is able to eat it?

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
Unread 04/28/2018, 09:03 AM   #6
davocean
Registered Member

A turkey baster will work, but they do sell spot feeding tools

Unread 05/01/2018, 02:08 PM   #7
Kinetic
Registered Member

turn off all flow, feed the clowns first and away from the anemone at the same time, blast mysis into it with a turkey baster.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/14/2018, 07:51 AM   #8
allendehl
Registered Member

Thank you all!!.

Unread 05/15/2018, 09:43 AM   #9
garygb
Registered Member

What are your water parameters, including nitrate?

garygb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2018, 11:41 AM   #10
allendehl
Registered Member

Well, I went in to buy a cheap condi to a local pet store and ended up buying a beautiful small RBTA (orange and green) they had on sale. It is hard to resist once you are in these places.
My plan is to let it grow a bit and pinch a piece of tentacle to feed it to the H Mag.
Question, will it hurt the RBTA if I pull a piece of tentacle?

About the water params, I don't recall them exactly (I have the log at home) but I checked them last weekend and everything was on param and fairly stable. Nitrates were at 5ppm aprox.

Unread 05/19/2018, 04:28 AM   #11
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by allendehl View Post
Thank you all. I was feeding her pieces of shrimp and krill. I'll change to mysis.
One question, how you spot feed her the mysis so it doesn't go floating before she is able to eat it?

I feed my bleached anemone with shrimp but mashed it up right before I feed. I think that it take digestive enzymes to digest big chunk of food, which bleach anemones does not always have. I feed them tiny amount first, every 3 days. Once they able to assimilate that food, and have some building material to make more digestive enzymes, I feed them larger amount.
Patiently slow feed like this will get their health up even if they don't recover their coloration. I have so many anemones, that I do transplant on them fairly early.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 01:58 PM   #12
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
I feed my bleached anemone with shrimp but mashed it up right before I feed. I think that it take digestive enzymes to digest big chunk of food, which bleach anemones does not always have. I feed them tiny amount first, every 3 days. Once they able to assimilate that food, and have some building material to make more digestive enzymes, I feed them larger amount.
Patiently slow feed like this will get their health up even if they don't recover their coloration. I have so many anemones, that I do transplant on them fairly early.
Minh, would picking a tentacle from a small bubble tip I have harm her? It hurts me for sure but that's the only option I have. I dont like the idea of ripping one off but I'd like to save my mag, I already saved her once when it came.

Unread 05/23/2018, 05:34 PM   #13
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by allendehl View Post
Minh, would picking a tentacle from a small bubble tip I have harm her? It hurts me for sure but that's the only option I have. I dont like the idea of ripping one off but I'd like to save my mag, I already saved her once when it came.
Get an tentacle or two or 5 from an anemone will not hurt him. Just give him a little short tentacles and this recover shortly, a week or so.
BTA tentacles will not stick to food to the point where you can rip it off so you have to cut it off with a pair of scissors.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2018, 06:54 PM   #14
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
you have to cut it off with a pair of scissors.
uh crap

Unread 05/23/2018, 07:50 PM   #15
davocean
Registered Member

If there is any beige or color at all it should come back just by spot feeding small foods.
I've brought back a number that were pretty badly bleached.