Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/11/2016, 06:00 PM   #1
Fourstars
Registered Member.

button polyp getting ready to spawn?

At first I thought it was a sponge, but upon inspection, it is part of the colony. I already have enough of these green polyps and wonder if I should remove this? Pretty cool see pic.

Attachment 354173

Last edited by Fourstars; 07/20/2016 at 06:33 AM.
Fourstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/11/2016, 06:31 PM   #2
titustitus
Registered Member

Spawn?

titustitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 06:08 AM   #3
Reef Bass
colors and textures

I highly doubt that is a part of the polyps. I'd get rid of it and possibly the clump of polyps it's attached to if you already have a bunch of those.

It looks like there might be some aiptasia at 6 and 9 o'clock. I suggest getting rid of those as well.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 06:58 AM   #4
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
I highly doubt that is a part of the polyps. I'd get rid of it and possibly the clump of polyps it's attached to if you already have a bunch of those.

It looks like there might be some aiptasia at 6 and 9 o'clock. I suggest getting rid of those as well.
Thanks, I might wait and watch for now. I went in with aiptasiaX and now have twice as many. I purchased a file fish last week so we'll see if he helps me out. Cool fish! I don't think he has much interest in the larger ones so I'll go hunting again.

Unread 07/12/2016, 08:05 AM   #5
SeaCucumberFan
Moved On

Get a berghia nudibranch

SeaCucumberFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 06:23 PM   #6
Reef Bass
colors and textures

File fish are interesting in their unique way.

Berghia are excellent predators of aiptasia, that's all they eat, but one isn't going to cut it by a long shot. One needs to establish a breeding population of them, which can take a couple months, so patience is key.

Twice I have used berghia to irradicate whole tank infestations of aiptasia. Two or three more times I have tried to get the breeding population going and failed. Starting with many adults was the key for me. Last time I introduced more than 30 in my 100g. The times I failed I only added 6-8.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2016, 06:29 PM   #7
titustitus
Registered Member

Take the rock out, use a syringe with hot water to kill the aipt. Then rinse the area using tap water from the syringe.

titustitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2016, 11:36 AM   #8
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Bass View Post
File fish are interesting in their unique way.

Berghia are excellent predators of aiptasia, that's all they eat, but one isn't going to cut it by a long shot. One needs to establish a breeding population of them, which can take a couple months, so patience is key.

Twice I have used berghia to irradicate whole tank infestations of aiptasia. Two or three more times I have tried to get the breeding population going and failed. Starting with many adults was the key for me. Last time I introduced more than 30 in my 100g. The times I failed I only added 6-8.
I looked into these nudibranchs but the price is pretty steep for the size tank. and I heard the don't last very long. How would you keep them breeding unless you also breed aiptasia? and would I have a mass die off?

Unread 07/14/2016, 06:43 PM   #9
reefwars
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourstars View Post
I looked into these nudibranchs but the price is pretty steep for the size tank. and I heard the don't last very long. How would you keep them breeding unless you also breed aiptasia? and would I have a mass die off?
Buy a few adults and keep them in a mason jar and feed them smaller aiptasia and once you have a decent supply of eggs and new hatches you can start to release them to the display , put them in at night is best when fish are sleeping and hiding , they don't last long cause they eat up their supply of food pretty quick and then starve out and die , a lot of times people fail cause they just dump in a few adults and hope for the best but if you breed them for a short period they work wonders , have used them many times over the years

If cost is an issue years ago several of us use to buy one each and have one person breed them like I mentioned above then split the pop later

After aiptasia is gone sell them to other hobbyist to recoup the initial cost

Hth

reefwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2016, 08:34 AM   #10
Jah2707
Registered Member

I have had many zoanthids with sponges connected to them. That is what it looks like to me. In the past I have had yellow sponges take over an entire colony. It took about a year, so I would cut or rip it away if I was you.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2575082

Current Tank Info: 24x24x18 cube
Jah2707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/19/2016, 10:56 AM   #11
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah2707 View Post
I have had many zoanthids with sponges connected to them. That is what it looks like to me. In the past I have had yellow sponges take over an entire colony. It took about a year, so I would cut or rip it away if I was you.
Thanks, already done.

Unread 07/19/2016, 11:42 AM   #12
Fourstars
Registered Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefwars View Post
Buy a few adults and keep them in a mason jar and feed them smaller aiptasia and once you have a decent supply of eggs and new hatches you can start to release them to the display , put them in at night is best when fish are sleeping and hiding , they don't last long cause they eat up their supply of food pretty quick and then starve out and die , a lot of times people fail cause they just dump in a few adults and hope for the best but if you breed them for a short period they work wonders , have used them many times over the years

If cost is an issue years ago several of us use to buy one each and have one person breed them like I mentioned above then split the pop later

After aiptasia is gone sell them to other hobbyist to recoup the initial cost

Hth
If they get out of control I'll give this a try. Thanks for the information!