Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 10/06/2011, 01:21 PM   #1
TH3C1SC0K1D
Registered Member

How Often Should I Feed My Fish?

This should be a question that I should have asked a long time ago but how often should I feed my fish? I don't want to over feed as to avoid negatively effecting the water quality but I don't want them to be underfed at the same time. I usually fees cubes of Frozen Food and Dry Seaweed Strips. I want to start keeping SPS Corals and Clams,but I want to get my feeding regimine down first. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

TH3C1SC0K1D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 01:25 PM   #2
BrookR1
Registered Member

I feed mine once per day and they are FAT! I know people that feed every other day and I know people that feed 3-4 times per day. The fish were all healthy, so I guess there's no right or wrong answer. The people that feed several times per day have massive filtration.

Old 10/06/2011, 02:01 PM   #3
cloak
Moved On

Once a day is fine.

cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by TH3C1SC0K1D View Post
This should be a question that I should have asked a long time ago but how often should I feed my fish? I don't want to over feed as to avoid negatively effecting the water quality but I don't want them to be underfed at the same time. I usually fees cubes of Frozen Food and Dry Seaweed Strips. I want to start keeping SPS Corals and Clams,but I want to get my feeding regimine down first. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
real question is .what kind of fish ?

noone can answer you without knowing that.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 02:27 PM   #5
cloak
Moved On

What kind of fish need to be fed more than once a day? Anthias? I'll take the Pepsi challenge and guaranty you that I can keep a fish like that happy and healthy for years on end with one meal a day.

Old 10/06/2011, 02:30 PM   #6
T Smith
Registered Member

I feed several times per day but only a little bit at a time. I'm off work on disability right now but start back to work in a few weeks, they're going to have to adjust to a less frequent schedule then.

Current Tank Info: 100 reef
T Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 03:21 PM   #7
Iskandar
Registered Member

good question... how many times per day I should feed tangs?

Iskandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 03:55 PM   #8
kripas
Registered Member

I feed all my fish including yellow and blue hippo tang, pair of clown, 4 chromis and cleaner fish once a day and there fat, im using 1 cube of krill and 1 cube of mysis or brine shrimp soak in garlic liquid. Depends on your filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers

kripas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 04:21 PM   #9
Saadatski
Registered Member

i like to feed my fish alot because my theory is happy fish are healthy fish. Not too much though because my rock may not catch up as fast. Make sure to feed your tangs nori every couple days because they need it (unless you have natural algae in your tank)

Old 10/06/2011, 04:23 PM   #10
cromedogg33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak View Post
What kind of fish need to be fed more than once a day? Anthias? I'll take the Pepsi challenge and guaranty you that I can keep a fish like that happy and healthy for years on end with one meal a day.
Go buy yourself some purple queen anthias and only feed once a day and then let me know how you do. I'll buy you a Pepsi if you win

Current Tank Info: 180G in-wall, 3x 250w MH radiums on M80 ballasts, Cree LED actinics, Deltec TC2560, Bubble Magus Doser, 4x Vortech Mp40, Dart return, Neptune Apex
cromedogg33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 04:38 PM   #11
cloak
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromedogg33 View Post
Go buy yourself some purple queen anthias and only feed once a day and then let me know how you do. I'll buy you a Pepsi if you win
Do you really think your fish would perish if you limited the amount you feed to only one meal a day? It's a yes or no answer.

Old 10/06/2011, 04:46 PM   #12
mth1993
Registered Member

I could not keep anthis until i installed an auto feeder and started feeding multiple times a day.

mth1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 04:47 PM   #13
JaneG
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you really think your fish would perish if you limited the amount you feed to only one meal a day? It's a yes or no answer.
They're hard enough to keep to begin with. Limiting them to one meal per day is going to all but ruin your chances of success...

JaneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 04:48 PM   #14
thegrun
Registered Member

Quote:
Just because you can only think in in a binary manner does not mean that the correct answer must be yes or no. Going by the theory that the closer we can mimic nature the better, multiple small daily feedings are better. Will most fish survive a single daily feeding or even every other day? Yes. Is that the best for the fish? No. Do some fish require multiple daily feedings for long term health? Yes. Will they survive a single daily feeding? Maybe.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 05:06 PM   #15
Reefing Newbie
Registered Member.

The answer is what you and your filtration can handle as well as what fish you have. If you want to mimic nature as closely as possible you will want to feed 2-4 small feedings per day. Fish will eat whatever food they get within a few minutes. They are opportunistic feeders and get what they can even if they are full. Also remember that the fish's stomach is only as big as their stomachs.

Reefing Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 05:16 PM   #16
snorvich
Team RC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
Just because you can only think in in a binary manner does not mean that the correct answer must be yes or no. Going by the theory that the closer we can mimic nature the better, multiple small daily feedings are better. Will most fish survive a single daily feeding or even every other day? Yes. Is that the best for the fish? No. Do some fish require multiple daily feedings for long term health? Yes. Will they survive a single daily feeding? Maybe.
I think that is the best answer I have read. I feed multiple times per day, a minimum of two.

Old 10/06/2011, 05:25 PM   #17
raylost
Registered Member

I feed twice a day works for me.

This is my set up:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...2049637&page=2

raylost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 06:28 PM   #18
carolgyrl1
Registered Member

I have three resplendant anthias,along with a hippo tang, sailfin tang, yellow tang, feed once a day, so far, soo good.

240 display tank.72x30x24,125 lb live rock, yellow tang, hippo tang, royal gamma basslet,6 chromis, 6 line, hoevens wrasse, green mandarin, catalina goby, purple firefish, 2 oscellaris, 3 resplendant anthias,emerald crabs, hermits, 2 red banded cleaner shrimp,red starfish, anemone, colt coral, leathers, frogspawn, torch, mushrooms,35 gallon sump, mp40 vortec , maxijet, phosban reactor, 1/2 hp chiller, led lighting, moonlights, closed loop, water leak, temp, and power detector, secure view camera so I can see my fishies anytime!

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon fish and reef
carolgyrl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 06:55 PM   #19
elegance coral
They call me EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmost View Post
real question is .what kind of fish ?

noone can answer you without knowing that.
100% correct.
This is like asking how often you should feed a bird, reptile, or mammal. There is to much diversity among these groups, and fish, to make a blanket statement as to how often they should be fed. A Queen Anthias will not survive on one feeding a day, but an angler may be fine going days between meals. You have to study the species being kept before you"ll have a clue how to care for it.

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 06:58 PM   #20
Agu
Registered Member

Depends on my schedule. If I'm working, once or maybe twice a day. If I'm off two or three times a day with smaller amounts. If it's time for a water change I might feed four times (even smaller amounts) prior to the water change.

Right now I have a new and small pair of bangaii that are very picky eaters. They're getting two or three or four small feedings a day. It's as much about training the feeding response as it is about making sure they get enough to eat. In less than a week they've gone from hiding in the back during feedings to coming up to the glass and begging for food. In this case excessive multiple feedings were the best option imo.

Gotta go, time for a water change .

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Agu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 07:42 PM   #21
BrookR1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrun View Post
Like you know how often or how much a fish in the wild eats or have the faintest clue what's best for the fish.

Fish in transport go days, sometimes a couple of weeks without feeding.

Base your feeding schedule on two things. 1) how much time you can devote to feeding and 2) how fat or skinny your fish are. It's not sprocket science...a skinny fish needs more food and a fat fish needs to work out more.

Old 10/06/2011, 08:33 PM   #22
Curious George
Registered Member

My fish are young. I feed them 2-3 times a day in small amounts. Biopure Mega-marine and spirulina flake in the morning. Enriched mysis shrimp and NLS pellet in the afternoon. Then spiruline flake in the evening.

My fish are growing fast with great form and the colors are vibrant. I also gravel vac and change 10% of the water once a week.

Curious George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2011, 11:44 PM   #23
cloak
Moved On

For those of you that do incorporate algae growth in your tank, (refugium) do you really think your tank would crash if you took it offline? It's a yes or no answer.

Old 01/11/2014, 03:52 AM   #24
living_waters
Moved On

I know this thread is old but i feed anywhere from minimum 2 times two 5 or even 7 with weekly water changes skimmer and fuge nitrates are always zero or undetected.

living_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2014, 08:43 AM   #25
aquaman05
Registered Member

I Feed every other day most of the time and have been for years.

aquaman05 is offline   Reply With Quote