Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2011, 06:07 PM   #51
jdg
Registered Member

awe ... some ...

That is all.

jdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2011, 06:58 PM   #52
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Don't know if a mod can help, but here's the same picture I tried to hot link in my original post, but I've put a copy on another website so this link is better.

Can it be added to the original post?

Thanks either way!

Joe

JPMagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2011, 07:21 PM   #53
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylos View Post
You have really done an amazing job. Just as others have said, I really can only hope to achieve such a living work of art.

What was your inspiration in starting this tank - both in terms of aquascape and stocking? Did you use epoxy, acrylic rods, etc in order to put it all together? And did you start out with smaller colonies or small frags from some of your coral?

I'd really love to see your sump area if possible?

Also, what have some of the hardest hit mistakes you've had to live through while being in the hobby? What would you change knowing now what you didn't then?

Thanks for the generous words everyone . . . feels great to be able to share!

My inspiration came from Steve Weast and C.P. Farms. I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Steve in person many years back, and that really set me on the course of creating a visually spectacular display because I realized 90% of what made his tank so awesome was simple hardwork.

As for the hardest lesson that's easy and an issue that was discussed well by several recent TOTMs. Namely, disaster preparedness. I was on vacation during the big Northeastern power outage of August '03 and learned that backup power is worth every penny and having a house sitter when your on vacation is essential. I didn't lose everything but almost. Since then I have several folks check on my system when I'm gone and I bought a generator which has saved me many a sleepless night when the power goes out for any length of time.

No epoxy or rods. Instead I used several large LR pieces to start and then I let my colonies grow large and cement everything together with the growth. It definitely took a great deal of patience to let the pieces grow.

My OT in 2003!

and today . . .

and of course I am incredibly lucky to have a dedicated "fish room" in the basement . . .

and one of my favorite macros

Thanks again everyone!

Joe

Unread 05/18/2011, 08:09 PM   #54
dzhuo
Registered Member

No disrespect to your tank Joe but since you bought it up. This is definitely my all time favorite. I have not seen another tank that comes even close to it. It just shows what a little open space can do:

Unread 05/18/2011, 08:53 PM   #55
bif24701
Registered Member

TOTM!!!!!

I would love tp know more about you setup.

HOW BIG IS THAT SUMP!?!!? LOL

Kessil AP700/ MP60+6105
Kalk+2 part/ Cheato Fuge

Current Tank Info: 180 SPS Dominant
bif24701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2011, 09:59 PM   #56
Fish4Me2
Registered Member

Truly stunning tank, thank you for sharing. I'd be thrilled to see you use this as a place to update on what you're doing with the tank. It's nice to have the reminder of how important regular maintenance is to success like this.

Fish4Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 01:11 AM   #57
reefrf
reefrf

Great job!! Wow... You have a beautiful reef tank.

RIP 150g....
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1651699&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Current Tank Info: 250g 72x30x27 (Starphire) Lighting-Giesemann Infiniti 3x250w HQI Phoenix 4T-5's. 75g sump/Reef Octopus SRO5000 Skimmer/ GEO 624 Calcium Reactor. Circulation 3 x MP40QD 1/4 hp Artica
reefrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 01:16 AM   #58
justin_g
Registered Member

Really like the monster sized colonies and the openness. So many reef today look over crowded and artificial. Excellent job.

Decided my checking account had too much money. Got married, bought a new house, last resort to eliminate this problem--back to reefing! Yahoo!
justin_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 01:50 AM   #59
denash24
Me too!

The only words that come to mind is WOW...
Your tank is definitely a work of art, it's simply amazing.
Please provide us with your parameters and maintenance schedule.

140G rimless bare bottom mostly SPS
denash24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 07:40 AM   #60
ser_renely
Registered Member

Wow, I am embarrassed

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube, 15g sump/fuge,Tunze 9010 skimmer, Reefbreeders Photon 16" - 2 Osc. Clowns,2 Lyretail Anthias, Blue Chromis, mp20, mp10....another DAMN pistol shrimp!
ser_renely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 07:57 AM   #61
JG1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMagyar View Post

and of course I am incredibly lucky to have a dedicated "fish room" in the basement . . .

Jeez I wasn't expecting to see that!

How I'd love to run the plumbing into the basement and haven't a setup like that....I just don't have the balls to cut through my hardwood floors! lol

Current Tank Info: 100g Rimless Starphire
JG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 08:09 AM   #62
Mr.Tan
Registered Member

absolutely amazing! i can't get over how stunning your tank is. And to top it all off, seeing your setup in the basement just makes it so much better!!!! Well done man, props on creating something so beautiful.

Mr.Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 08:15 AM   #63
JG1
Registered Member

Can you post some pictures of the left and right sides of the tank? Not close-up's, so we can see the whole setup...stand, lights, tank.

Current Tank Info: 100g Rimless Starphire
JG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 08:48 AM   #64
jbachert
Registered Member

Beautiful tank!

jbachert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 06:42 PM   #65
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPaquatics View Post
very nice tank! What have you determined the relationship between CO2 and alk?
Hey MV, I'll post some pictures tomorrow, but because the weather has been temperate of late, I opened the windows in my basement and setup several fans. The result was no precipitation of calcium carbonate in my most recent batch of fresh saltwater. Here's a picture of what the mixing vat looked like after the previous batch versus my most recent batch. The only conclusion I can draw is that the presence of added CO2 triggers faster precipitation of calcium carbonate, and this seems to be born out by a reduction in deposits on the rim of my display as well. The trouble is when the weather gets cold I can't keep the windows open in my basement, but hopefully I can figure something out

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpayne32 View Post
Amazing tank! I counted 13 chromis in that last pic. How long have they been living together?
Actually at the moment I have 20 and they have been living together for about 18 months. I have tried different sized groups and it seems that 13 is not enough, but 20+ is. I also feed them as many times a day as I can remember or as people are around the house. That plus having plenty of hiding spaces for the little guys seems to make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupakabra-King View Post
I hate you.

Damn what a nice tank . How the heck do you keep it that clean ? sheesh I should just give up now . I have been keeping saltwater since 1998 and havent had a tank that looks that good .
Thanks! Truth is I leave my tank alone for several days at a time when I'm working as my job involves lots of travel, but when I'm home I would say it takes 3 hours a week cumulatively. That means some days I do 3 hours and some days I do zero, but there's always a project waiting for me for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
Beautiful and great layout! Love the Anemonee. About how big is he? I am wanting either a mag or haddoni carpet. Really like the tentacles on the Mags tho! Do you know what kind exactly you have? Also what type of clowns are those in there?

Again SWEET Setup!
The anemone is an Heteractis Magnifica. I have had it for 9 years and so far it has created 4 clones. The anemone in my display tank is actually one of the smaller clones as I sold the largest specimen to a local reefer about a year ago. Fascinatingly enough it hasn't moved in 8 years nor have any of the clones. I will add that my specimen as well as all the clones receive enormous amounts of flow.

Thanks again everyone!

Joe

Last edited by JPMagyar; 05/19/2011 at 07:06 PM.
Unread 05/19/2011, 06:45 PM   #66
JPMagyar
Registered Member

It's always something . . .

That's my line for saltwater aquariums. Today I had to replace my main recirc pump only to figure out that the problem wasn't the pump but rather a restricted intake so I had to remove my ten year old bulk head and replace the 3 feet of pipe going to the pump. Then I siphoned my sand bed, did a 150 gallon water change, and put a new bag of sand into the display one cup at a time . . . time 2 hours today . . .

Unread 05/19/2011, 06:58 PM   #67
cside
Registered Member

where do you guys get these giant rubbermaid things?

cside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 07:03 PM   #68
rkaires
Registered Member

When its a labor of love your time is well spent.

Current Tank Info: 200gal system, 150gal & 58gal reef, ATI Powermodule & Sunpower , ATB Deluxe skimmer, KZ zeo reactor, Geo 618, FX1500 return, Tunze 7095, Tunze Streams.
rkaires is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 07:03 PM   #69
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cside View Post
where do you guys get these giant rubbermaid things?
Agway watering troughs. Incredibly tough and cheap and delivered right to the house for free!

Unread 05/19/2011, 07:34 PM   #70
justin_g
Registered Member

The awesome thing about water troughs? CHEAP. Imagine if they were marketed directly to the aquarium market what the price would be.

Decided my checking account had too much money. Got married, bought a new house, last resort to eliminate this problem--back to reefing! Yahoo!
justin_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 07:43 PM   #71
rhdoug
Registered Member

Hey Joe, is that the same mag that was hosting a baby bangaii? It was in one of the magazines lately, maybe CORAL I think. In any event, as others have said, beautiful work, I hope you are proud!

BTW, we are practically neighbors!

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 07:53 PM   #72
JPMagyar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhdoug View Post
Hey Joe, is that the same mag that was hosting a baby bangaii? It was in one of the magazines lately, maybe CORAL I think. In any event, as others have said, beautiful work, I hope you are proud!

BTW, we are practically neighbors!
Hey Randy, Yes I had several baby Bangaii host in the anemone and delivered them to a local retailer, and you can find my tank in CORAL magazine two issues back. Thanks for noticing! Drop me a PM if you're ever in the "neighborhood" nothing I like more than to hand out free frags! Never know when you might need a frag back! Joe

Unread 05/19/2011, 08:26 PM   #73
rhdoug
Registered Member

I will definitely do that, and if you are in the Carmel/Fishkill area please do the same. You can take a peek at my old reef and we can swap some reef stories. It turns 12 next month!

Current Tank Info: 58 Gallon mixed reef running since 1999, Super Reef Octopus Skimmer, 180w Maxpect Razor LED Light, August 2015 TOTM
rhdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 09:10 PM   #74
Algaenot
Registered Member

Sweet tank - Aquascaping at its best.

Algaenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2011, 09:12 PM   #75
Dyzio545
Registered Member.

Stunning!

"Life is gooood"

Current Tank Info: 55 Gallon Mixed Reef