Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Greater Connecticut Area Regional Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/18/2007, 10:47 PM   #1
Tripspike
Registered Member

New Build:Need Help/Suggestions with new build. New Build Thread

I am finally getting my butt into serious high gear to get my new tanks and system up and running. I would like to get input from the group on equipment and setup as I go along. Hopefully, I will be able to avoid some pitfalls along the way.

I was thinking of doing a build thread here as I go along and use it for Q & A.

I have been aquiring equipment over the last few months. The only big purchase left is a skimmer and perhaps a chiller.

I am trying to decide on a skimmer right now. There are so many with such a wide range of prices. I am looking at this skimmer (Precision Marine Bullet-2 Protein Skimmer) http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=PM1121

I have also found this used skimmer ( BarrAquatic Sk5220 SuperSkimmer) which is probably way overkill for the system...but like Greg Hiller said....you can never overskim. http://www.austinoceans.com/products....html#skimmers

I would like some thoughts on these two skimmers and perhaps some other suggestions.

Thanks for your input. I put a schematic drawing of what I want to build for your reference. I am making some changes to it. Most notably I want to run most of the equipment from one pump.

The 95 gallon will be SPS dominated and the 65 will be FOWLR. I want to plan on equipment large enough to support a larger tank (replacing the 95) in the future.

Trip

Tripspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2007, 06:10 AM   #2
MADtanks
Stix Anyone?

I would look into H&S or Deltec, euroreef if ur pockets allow it i love my APF600 it always skims DARK! i never touch the ballvalve and it has been running great! hope you get what you want

Current Tank Info: 24X24X20 AIO SPS Dom
MADtanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2007, 07:59 AM   #3
generalee
Registered Member

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/ca...duct_info.html

or

http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/ca...duct_info.html

Just as more options

generalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2007, 08:57 AM   #4
reefman13
Registered Member

I would look into a slightly bigger skimmer than the PM you have choosen. It is rated for aquariums up to 250 gallons. You have at least 400 gallons of water right there, if you want to upgrade it will deffinetly need to be a bigger skimmer.

Something like this http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=PM1131
OR
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=ER1419
That skimmer Euro Reef rates at 180 gallons, but when Marine Depot tested it, they found that it could sit on tank that is a round 450 gallons.

You may also want to look into...
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...product=TZ5335

Just some ideas for skimmers, good ones in my opinon, all in about the same price range.

"One day I will be back in this hobby..." spoken like a true High School student...

Current Tank Info: None for now...for now...
reefman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2007, 10:18 AM   #5
REEF-DADDY
Registered Member

How much of a bio load are you looking at?

Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return

Current Tank Info: 280 SPS reef
REEF-DADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2007, 11:03 AM   #6
reefman13
Registered Member

Forgot to ask that, would deff. affect the skimmer he wants............

"One day I will be back in this hobby..." spoken like a true High School student...

Last edited by reefman13; 04/19/2007 at 11:49 AM.
Unread 04/19/2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Tripspike
Registered Member

erickrm: I have a Euroreef now that I am very happy with...easy to dial in, appears to wok great although I don't have much to compare it to. I will look into one of this since I am happy with what I have now.

generalee: thanks for the links

reefman: also thanks for the links. questione skimmer have to be rated for the entire war volume or just fothe loading in the system?

REEF-DADDY: What is considered the bioload...just fish and inverts. If so, I am not sure yet. The FOWLR will probably be 6 months down the road but it could be 3 also...hole is in the wall for it.

Unread 04/19/2007, 11:23 AM   #8
Tripspike
Registered Member

Here are some beginning room pics:

Will be installing the slop sink and RO unit tonight. I plan to cover the walls in a white board which will brighten the room and allow me to wipe them down easily.

and away we go.....

Unread 04/19/2007, 12:03 PM   #9
reefman13
Registered Member

You want to have a skimmer that can handle the amount of water that you are going to have any thing alive in it. Which in essence means any water container with a Bio-Load (the amount of 'live' anything in it).

Personally I would have a skimmer that can skim through all the water that is going through the system- for you is +/- 390 gallons. You want to have a skimmer that can do 400+ gallons, as many people with big systems say, "you can NEVER over skim"

Unread 04/19/2007, 12:29 PM   #10
REEF-DADDY
Registered Member

Basically anything that eats is bio load. For the size of your displays the MR-2 is perfect. However all the extra volume in your system is going reduce the amount of times your system is skimmed, for example my system is 400g and my skimmer pump is 1500 gph, so after head loss I skim my system 3x per hour. The more times you skim per hour the quicker you'll be pulling waste out. To sum it up yes the MR-2 will do the job, but the MR-3 would give you more capacity. The real key is using a good pressure rated pump, I can’t stress that enough.

Litermeter III,PCX-70 pushing 2 Eductors,Geo 624 Ca Reactor,125 sump, Dart Return

Unread 04/19/2007, 06:58 PM   #11
Tripspike
Registered Member

Wow what a mess...basements arggghh..not to mention I tore down and rebuilt one half of my tank tonight...not something planned.

All I got done was the white baord on the wall where the sink is going. Next up sink and RO/DI unit. However, it won't be until next week. Opening day for fishing is Saturday and I will be away with all the kids camping. Its a men and kids only weekend. Should be fun!

Have a great weekend everyone. Thanks or the input so far.

Unread 04/19/2007, 08:41 PM   #12
Tripspike
Registered Member

Looking at the Deltec skimmers with 3x turnover, they are over $6K. The throughput on the APF600 is only 210 GPH but is rated for a 200 gal heavily stocked tank.

Now I am confused.

Mike

Unread 04/19/2007, 09:14 PM   #13
reefman13
Registered Member

Its a bunch of different things. The H20 through put is different than the out put (not positive about that but pretty sure- I will call tomorrow to find out). If you are looking into a Deltec here's one that looks to be perfect for your system................
http://www.deltecusa.us/proteinskimmers/ap702.php

Unread 04/20/2007, 12:22 AM   #14
Tripspike
Registered Member

Looking at buying this light for my 95 wave tank. I have already contacted the seller. Is this a good light? The price is right. Let me know what you think. Paid $650 plus half shipping costs.

outerorbit 2 250w hqi w/ 10k bulbs, 4 54w t5ho w/ actinic bulbs, 18 moonlights (half white half blue) includes fixture, ballasts, mounting legs, and 2 extra never used 250w 10k hqi bulbs

only used 2 months

Unread 04/20/2007, 12:27 AM   #15
Tripspike
Registered Member

Reefman, you state: "Look out for global warming everyone, this has been the first winter of wacky weather!"

New England has always had wacky weather...It was just what 7 years ago when we had record snowfall...110" or so.

Do you know where the Earths' temp is in relationship to its historic averages, highs, and lows? Take a look it might make you go hmmmm.

Trip

Unread 04/20/2007, 08:31 AM   #16
REEF-DADDY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tripspike
Looking at the Deltec skimmers with 3x turnover, they are over $6K. The throughput on the APF600 is only 210 GPH but is rated for a 200 gal heavily stocked tank.

Now I am confused.

Mike
Get a bullet 3 and I'll dial it in for ya.

skimmer $500
pump $175

Unread 04/20/2007, 09:02 AM   #17
Tripspike
Registered Member

Sounds good Reed-Daddy...what do u think about the light fixture?

Trip

Unread 04/20/2007, 09:07 AM   #18
REEF-DADDY
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds good Reed-Daddy...what do u think about the light fixture?

Trip
Looks good to me, did you already buy it? What kind of bulbs does it have?

Unread 04/20/2007, 09:10 AM   #19
Tripspike
Registered Member

Four bulbs 2 250 10 k with 2 months use and two brand new

Trip

Unread 04/20/2007, 09:18 AM   #20
REEF-DADDY
Registered Member

Quote:
Four bulbs 2 250 10 k with 2 months use and two brand new

Trip
Awesome!!!

Unread 04/20/2007, 09:48 AM   #21
reefman13
Registered Member

I have been doing research for a school debate for about 12 months now. I have been looking at both sides of the arqument. CO2 is a gas which we are creating a record out put of. That sits up in the atmosphere and condenses alowing for transparent heating however not alowing that heat to escape. I under stand that it is a cycle, however the levels of CO2 in the cycle has been rasing rapidly, and as of now it is at a scary level. Anyway, not really something to discuss. This could become an agressive discussion, and could lead to another mod......................

Unread 04/20/2007, 09:57 AM   #22
REEF-DADDY
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefman13
I have been doing research for a school debate for about 12 months now. I have been looking at both sides of the arqument. CO2 is a gas which we are creating a record out put of. That sits up in the atmosphere and condenses alowing for transparent heating however not alowing that heat to escape. I under stand that it is a cycle, however the levels of CO2 in the cycle has been rasing rapidly, and as of now it is at a scary level. Anyway, not really something to discuss. This could become an agressive discussion, and could lead to another mod......................

Why are we even discussing this in Trips build thread?

Unread 04/20/2007, 09:59 AM   #23
reefman13
Registered Member

New Post 04/20/2007 07:27 AM
Tripspike is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Tripspike Click here to Send Tripspike a Private Message Click Here to Email Tripspike Find more posts by Tripspike Add Tripspike to your buddy list Visit Tripspike's Gallery Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tripspike
Premium Member

Reefman, you state: "Look out for global warming everyone, this has been the first winter of wacky weather!"

New England has always had wacky weather...It was just what 7 years ago when we had record snowfall...110" or so.

Do you know where the Earths' temp is in relationship to its historic averages, highs, and lows? Take a look it might make you go hmmmm.

Trip

Hobby Experience: 9 years saltwater fish only, 8 year layoff from hobby, just getting back in
Current Tanks: 42 gallon extra tall, DIY sump, Euro-Reef ES5-3 protein skimmer, hang on refugium with copius amounts of copepods, DIY kalkwasser topoff, 2 x 150 W MH with 4 x 39 T5s' LPS, SPS, a couple leathers; 5.5 nano for Rod; 95 gal wave in the making
Interests: The afterlife..I am headed there soon after my wife finds out I bought another coral.

Open this post in a new window | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Unread 04/20/2007, 10:01 AM   #24
reefman13
Registered Member

He posted that. I don't know why he brought it up........................any way, back to topic.

Trip- keep us posted with pics, and things you purchase. Best of luck with the new setup

Unread 04/20/2007, 10:17 AM   #25
Tripspike
Registered Member

Yeppers my fault...carry on.

Trip