Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/22/2015, 05:40 AM   #1901
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Things look better this morning. After a 10ml dose all of my Lps and sps immediately shriveled up. About 30 min later they all showed fully extended polyps. Interesting. This morning before lights start to ramp up I dumped a healthy dose of reef roids. Coral seems happy. At least Dino x does not affect them negatively. In fact most of my Lps and gonipora that has been closed for over a month started to open. So far so good. Only running filter floss and skimmer.

Cyberdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 06:00 AM   #1902
LuciDog
Registered Member

I would be interested to see what kind of results were shown dosing Dino x under a scope on different strains. Anyone have any info on it?

LuciDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 06:41 AM   #1903
bheron
Registered Member

Any official position on dosing carbon? Does carbon make Dino's worse? I'd like to clear up my water after going dirty. But so afraid to put anything in that would bring them back.

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 07:02 AM   #1904
karimwassef
Registered Member

One group believes that removing the toxins gives dinos more range to grow without being self limiting.

Another believes that removing the toxins helps their competitors gain hold.

It depends on where you are in the battle. If you've just knocked them back, then this might be the time to give their competitors a leg up. If they're gaining ground, it would be a bad time to give them more range.

Oops- just noticed you're asking about carbon dosing. My reply was about carbon filtration.

I think carbon dosing helps dinos thrive.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape

Last edited by karimwassef; 09/22/2015 at 07:54 AM.
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 01:16 PM   #1905
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciDog View Post
I would be interested to see what kind of results were shown dosing Dino x under a scope on different strains. Anyone have any info on it?
Joseph.Lucketta tested his Ostreopsis with dino x, hyposalinity and peroxide. (And I knew I was going to want that link
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...&postcount=889

There's almost nothing on specific strains because 99% of us don't have a clue. (And actually Pants said there were 3 common types in aquaria, and he couldn't id the 3rd for sure.) Here's his videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/YorickSanchez/feed

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 01:27 PM   #1906
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Huge Update

Dirty method on a massive scale?

My bro-in-law's 16g shattered while they were away overnight! He's decided to get out of the hobby completely. (This is I believe his 3rd tank explosion. The first 2 were in a 300g. They had to redo most of the basement.)

So I just took home all his rock, corals and 2 fish. He glues all his frags down and I didn't want to try removing them, so I replaced almost all my rock with his.

I'm plugging my skimmer back in, added a ton of carbon. I expect a pretty bad ammonia spike just from the rock, there may be 6+ dead crabs in there, so I've preemptively added Prime and a new ammonia badge.

We'll see what this does to my dinos.

ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Unread 09/22/2015, 02:31 PM   #1907
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Omg is he in an earthquake zone? That's horrible luck.

Unread 09/22/2015, 04:13 PM   #1908
garygonzales
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheron View Post
Any official position on dosing carbon? Does carbon make Dino's worse? I'd like to clear up my water after going dirty. But so afraid to put anything in that would bring them back.
i did have an outbreak when i added more carbon then i normally add..could be quince dent i dont know ..but not going to do that again.....

garygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/22/2015, 04:34 PM   #1909
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdude View Post
Omg is he in an earthquake zone? That's horrible luck.
I know, right? The 300g was a built-in-the-wall beautifully done tank. He had it built by a professional, but I wonder if it wasn't quite level, or his basement floor's not level.

Forgot to mention! I have green algae on my glass! I've been dosing nitrate to keep my tank at 3ppm for 3 days. This is literally the first time I've ever seen green algae in this tank. Nitrate was back to 0 this am, phosphate too. I'm sure it'll be ridiculous once bro in law's stuff starts re-cycling.

Yay!

ivy

Unread 09/22/2015, 04:49 PM   #1910
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

I'm thinking of dosing skimmate back in my tank. Did that in the last my corals loved it

Unread 09/22/2015, 06:55 PM   #1911
LuciDog
Registered Member

I have a massive green algae bloom going on right now, 48 hours after lights out. There is still strings all over, attached to everything. I'll grab a pic in a few. I'm going in to pull some snot off my sps.

Going to start H2O2 dosing tonight. Will start at 1ml/10g

I spoke to one of the biology professors at western university. He is willing to stick a sample under a scope for me to help ID it, and possibly help run some experiments.

Unread 09/22/2015, 07:07 PM   #1912
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Siphon in to a filter sock at night back in to your tank. Remove and much as you can. Don't change the water.

Unread 09/22/2015, 07:08 PM   #1913
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

After 24 hours of dinox and a quick siphon in to a filter sock in my tank. Much better ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442970507.137019.jpg

Unread 09/22/2015, 07:42 PM   #1914
LuciDog
Registered Member

I'm not doing any water changes for a while. I went in and cleaned up what I could of the dino's.

This is where I'm at. Sorry, dark room, dark tank, bad pic.

Unread 09/22/2015, 07:43 PM   #1915
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Suck it up. Install a filter sock in your sump and siphon away.

Unread 09/22/2015, 07:46 PM   #1916
LuciDog
Registered Member

I have filter socks running 24/7, changed daily. That's all green algae that has taken up residence in the past 48 hours. I siphoned the dinos through a sock and dumped the water back in.

She's a beaut

Unread 09/22/2015, 09:49 PM   #1917
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Instead of taking my tank down, I will perform 4 days lights out to see if that does anything. Maybe 5? Normally I would do 3, but this is my Last hope. If that doesn't work, I'll maybe buy Dino x to try (although it may be a waste of money).

Taking down a tank and restarting is such a pain.

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2015, 01:31 AM   #1918
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybatz9 View Post
Instead of taking my tank down, I will perform 4 days lights out to see if that does anything. Maybe 5? Normally I would do 3, but this is my Last hope. If that doesn't work, I'll maybe buy Dino x to try (although it may be a waste of money).

Taking down a tank and restarting is such a pain.
Before you do a lights out again, could you do a sort of summary on your tank? What are your nitrate/phosphate numbers like? Maybe we can come up with several inexpensive things to try along with the blackout. I know you have a squinty shrimp but do you still have that anemone? Corals, etc. Pictures of your tank?

@Lucidog- Looks terrible, great job! Is that cyano?

@cyberdude- wow, looks really good

Unread 09/23/2015, 06:27 AM   #1919
LuciDog
Registered Member

Some of it probably is. Most of it is just run of the mill nasty green algae. I didn't look close, or for long. I just wanted to do what I needed to do, and cover it back up.

Pulling the cover tonight, and setting my lights to run 4 hours at 1/4 power, only blues, for Thursday. That will be 90 hours in the dark.

Unread 09/23/2015, 07:06 AM   #1920
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
Before you do a lights out again, could you do a sort of summary on your tank? What are your nitrate/phosphate numbers like? Maybe we can come up with several inexpensive things to try along with the blackout. I know you have a squinty shrimp but do you still have that anemone? Corals, etc. Pictures of your tank?

@Lucidog- Looks terrible, great job! Is that cyano?

@cyberdude- wow, looks really good
I don't have any test kits worth testing for. But I have 0 algae apart from dinos. Reduced feedings so phosphates should be low.

I have anemones, montis, frogspawn, hammer, torch, and zoas.
Two clown fish, bicolor blenny, six line wrasse, blood shrimp, ND pistol shrimp.

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2015, 10:29 AM   #1921
DNA
Registered Member

Some of us seem to be lost or stuck on square one.

A few pages ago the intergalactic dino-committee agreed on that plankton was the way to go.
We have already seen positive signs from that direction so step on and join the collective on a journey to glory.

Sometimes the pages rush by in a whoosh and people today demand fast facts, wrapped in cellophane.
I've already started to edit the original post so people can enjoy just that in not so distant future.

77 pages read at 2 minutes a page should take about 2.2 hours of life, death, suspense and action.
If you have dinos it's the wise thing to do.

DNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2015, 11:28 AM   #1922
natas
Registered Member

if we can nail this down and get multiple people confirming that plankton and pods solve the issue for a good % of people maybe someone can write up a summary and howto and get it posted as a sticky.

natas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/23/2015, 11:45 AM   #1923
LuciDog
Registered Member

DNA- is there a specific pod that you, or others, have introduced, that is showing more victory then others?

Pods are not easily come by around here. The lfs in my area are a joke. And the ones who do have a bit of knowledge, won't bring them in unless it's a special order. The shelf life isn't great.

I have read 40 of the pages in this thread alone. I appreciate all the time and effort that has gone into this. I'm just trying to hold mine back until I can get an ID on them.

Unread 09/23/2015, 01:29 PM   #1924
Cyberdude
In Memoriam

Where would you release the pods? I would suspect they would quickly become fish food in the display. How would releasing them in the sump help?

Unread 09/23/2015, 01:48 PM   #1925
EvMiBo
VictoriaConcordiaCrescit

Just release at night. Benthic pods.