Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/17/2018, 07:01 PM   #1
THEUNION1
Registered Member

Exclamation Wwc at tongs!

Got a message that Tongs in fountain valley got a shipment of WWC corals today.

Gonna head out there in a bit and see whats good. They close at 8:30 and i heard a hand full of others know about it so if you want to swoop on some WWC's you might want to head out asap. I just might buy them all!

THEUNION1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 08:28 PM   #2
laverda
Registered Member

That's a shame!

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 08:49 PM   #3
nickrosenthal
Registered Member

Agreed

nickrosenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 06:16 AM   #4
THEUNION1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
That's a shame!
Why? It gives us locals the opportunity to go buy them without having to pay shipping. To each their own i guess, but i def took advantage of it.

THEUNION1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 07:47 AM   #5
five.five-six
Registered Member

Get em before they are dead!

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 10:24 AM   #6
hawaiian_boi
undercover reefer

I would rather pay for shipping. Once it goes in those tanks it's all over. So sad for those corals

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 25 gallon lagoon. Apex controller. Ghl mitras 6100. Mp10 skimmerless triton method
hawaiian_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 10:49 AM   #7
jcal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEUNION1 View Post
Why? It gives us locals the opportunity to go buy them without having to pay shipping. To each their own i guess, but i def took advantage of it.
What type of WWC frags was there or you got?

jcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 11:04 AM   #8
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

most likely these are corals that WWC has from there farm. Their farm is top notch to say the least. these are not just chopped and glued like some of the Craigslist guys. Hopefully this will expand tongs offerings of corals. I know nothing about Tongs water quality but I have had success with their frags in the past. If one is concerned about health inspect the corals prior to buying them and always dip corals no matter where they are from as this is a great step in your tanks overall health.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 11:30 AM   #9
snipersps
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishntoboutside View Post
most likely these are corals that WWC has from there farm. Their farm is top notch to say the least. these are not just chopped and glued like some of the Craigslist guys. Hopefully this will expand tongs offerings of corals. I know nothing about Tongs water quality but I have had success with their frags in the past. If one is concerned about health inspect the corals prior to buying them and always dip corals no matter where they are from as this is a great step in your tanks overall health.

I always had success with corals and fish I got from tongs.

Current Tank Info: 300 gallons, 100 gallons frag tank ,sps
snipersps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 11:34 AM   #10
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Their frag tank is ok but their main tank is not lack of light inadequate water parameters and it doesn't help that they put wild colony in there most don't survive

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 01:45 PM   #11
ycnibrc
STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF

Nothing special

ABC corals

Current Tank Info: 360g Peninsula sps
ycnibrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 01:46 PM   #12
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
That's a shame!
Why? The price?

Unread 04/18/2018, 03:46 PM   #13
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanMachine View Post
Why? The price?
Because it's at Tongs.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 03:47 PM   #14
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEUNION1 View Post
Tongs is not regarded very well. In fact, it's potentially the most hated LFS in so cal that is still open.

Hating on Tongs is a long standing reefer tradition going back almost 20 years now.

Unread 04/18/2018, 03:53 PM   #15
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Tongs is not regarded very well. In fact, it's potentially the most hated LFS in so cal that is still open.

Hating on Tongs is a long standing reefer tradition going back almost 20 years now.
I don't usually buy fish there (Yes am aware of the reputation), but they have tons of dry goods, plumbing parts, and lots of inverts that hardly any stores in So Cal have or ever carry.

Unread 04/18/2018, 04:08 PM   #16
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanMachine View Post
I don't usually buy fish there (Yes am aware of the reputation), but they have tons of dry goods, plumbing parts, and lots of inverts that hardly any stores in So Cal have or ever carry.
Agreed. I go there for plumbing, and some foods. They're a block from my house, and I've been going to tongs since I was 5 and got my first aquarium. I remember when tongs used to have parrots. Hell, I got my first Tarantula from tongs

Unread 04/18/2018, 04:37 PM   #17
five.five-six
Registered Member

Tongs is like a hospice where health sea creachers go to slowly die.

"I hate that hole"

Current Tank Info: SCMAS Member 225 peninsula euroreef RS180 Apex 400W X 3 20k radiums / Spectra mixed SPS
Unread 04/18/2018, 05:03 PM   #18
WayneL333
Registered Member

There’s usually a Tong bashing thread every year or so. I actually think they’re a great lfs. If you’re in a pinch, they usually have in stock mostly all dry goods that you would need, especially plumbing parts. Yeah it’s more expensive than online but you pay for the convenience. They’re one of the only lfs that also usually carries rarer fish and corals. I’ve bought multiples of each. Most live, some die but that’s the case w all lfs. They’re always open when they’re supposed to be open. They’ve been in business for ever. That says a lot...just saying.

Current Tank Info: Rebuilding...

Last edited by WayneL333; 04/18/2018 at 05:31 PM.
WayneL333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 05:30 PM   #19
XaznKewLguyX
Registered Member

100 more frags on order. I used to work there. It was funny always seeing these hater threads but yet you guys still come in.

XaznKewLguyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 05:44 PM   #20
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

I wish there were more stores like Tongs around. I am tired of going into an so called LFS and they do not have anything in stock. just a response of i can order it for you. They have a staff that also works behind the counter not glued to a monitor all day as well as a staff to help you in the walkways with fish and drygoods. They have a good selection of fresh and salt. Yes it is an old system but I have never had loses with items i have bought there.
The stores that were nearby Iconic, Coral Collection and others all have closed so they are doing something right. Not all stores cater to hobbyist on forums if they did they would all be out of business as many of these people are pretty cheap.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 06:41 PM   #21
five.five-six
Registered Member

I have nothing against tongs and I hope they do well, the more LFSs the better for all of us and their dry goods on hand is impressive and the sales staff is very nice and helpful and not down your throat. It’s very comfortable there. It’s just that too much of their livestock looks very sickly and makes me sad. At least the times that I have been there.

"I hate that hole"

Unread 04/18/2018, 07:00 PM   #22
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I have nothing against tongs and I hope they do well, the more LFSs the better for all of us and their dry goods on hand is impressive and the sales staff is very nice and helpful and not down your throat. It’s very comfortable there. It’s just that too much of their livestock looks very sickly and makes me sad. At least the times that I have been there.
Same here. As I had alluded to, I have been going to tongs since I was 5. I have no qualms with them, was just pointing out "why" since someone asked. They've had some bad times, sure.. But in general they're okay. The issue is reefers never forget the bad, and amplify it over time.

Unread 04/18/2018, 07:15 PM   #23
sil40sx
Registered Member

Nice people in there, good selection of dry goods,. But lots of fish that looks sick.

sil40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 07:20 PM   #24
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil40sx View Post
Nice people in there, good selection of dry goods,. But lots of fish that looks sick.
There's also ALWAYS random stories of every shop getting AEFW or crashing. Reefers are gossipy people.

I can't think of a single shop that someone hasn't told me either has AEFW, Red Bugs, Coral eating Nudis, or has crashed and killed 90% of corals. I've literally heard this from someone about EVERY single shop, including vendors...

So always take what you hear with a grain of salt.

Unread 04/18/2018, 08:33 PM   #25
sil40sx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
There's also ALWAYS random stories of every shop getting AEFW or crashing. Reefers are gossipy people.

I can't think of a single shop that someone hasn't told me either has AEFW, Red Bugs, Coral eating Nudis, or has crashed and killed 90% of corals. I've literally heard this from someone about EVERY single shop, including vendors...

So always take what you hear with a grain of salt.

Hahaha - I know right?!

sil40sx is offline   Reply With Quote