Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/01/2008, 11:47 AM   #1
sps4mytank
Moved On

Xenia in your Refugium?

Has anyone ever tried it? I have been tempted to seeing the results, but dont know anyone that has tried it. Anyone if good refugium information is helpful, but specifically I want to know if anyone does this?

I am tempted in putting my cespitularia down there cause its getting out of hand.

sps4mytank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 11:49 AM   #2
gps
Moved On

I can't even keep it in my main tank!!!!

gps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 12:02 PM   #3
photobret
Rude, Screwd and Tattooed

I have some down there.. In my refugium that is. Works for me. Doesn't seem to spread as fast as in my main tank, maybe due to lighting differences.

Current Tank Info: Contemplating 40gal Hawaii Tank
photobret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 03:19 PM   #4
sps4mytank
Moved On

What are the benefits of having it in your sump other than growing crazy.

I never read into it so much but wat can xenia do to your bio???

Unread 10/01/2008, 03:37 PM   #5
JOSE CASAS
Registered Member

In Europe and other places of course I have heard that they grow them out sort of like a refugium and aids with water filtration instead of using algae.

JOSE CASAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 04:40 PM   #6
faded1004
Registered Member

yea, i have heard also they just help with sucking up the left overs suspended in the water. in particular, i heard somwhere, or read somewhere the elongata was the one best for fuge setup... i am sure someone will either confirm or denounce...

faded1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 05:15 PM   #7
bromion
Registered Member

It is my understanding that Xenia is almost completely photosynthetic, so they don't filter feed. However, when they grow, they must be taking something from the water. Whether that's good or bad, not sure.

I would be concerned with two things:
1) Photoperiod -- might not be good to have a 24hr light on them. Xenia may require a dark cycle. Something to research.
2) Meltdown -- if you have a gigantic colony of xenia and it melts, you're in real trouble! Of course, if it's in your fuge and you catch it early, you can contain the problem.

bromion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 05:17 PM   #8
bromion
Registered Member

Additionally, like all animals, they will produce waste. Not sure what the waste/uptake balance would be.

Unread 10/01/2008, 08:44 PM   #9
kusanagiz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bromion
It is my understanding that Xenia is almost completely photosynthetic, so they don't filter feed. However, when they grow, they must be taking something from the water. Whether that's good or bad, not sure.

I would be concerned with two things:
1) Photoperiod -- might not be good to have a 24hr light on them. Xenia may require a dark cycle. Something to research.
2) Meltdown -- if you have a gigantic colony of xenia and it melts, you're in real trouble! Of course, if it's in your fuge and you catch it early, you can contain the problem.
agreed. having a large amount of xenia in your tank is like playing around w/ a nuclear bomb. It's amazing how xenia can just melt away and kill off so much in your tank.

Current Tank Info: 60g acrylic, 10 gallon sump, Aquac Urchin skimmer, 76lb LR (Marshall, Tonga, Fiji), 2x250W MH 4x96 PC, 2 SEIO 1100
kusanagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 08:57 PM   #10
waldomas
Registered Member

I unfortunately, have added it to my main display. It can grow out of control and is a royal PITA to remove when its established.

If you do regular water changes, it grows more slowly. I believe it likes slightly dirtty water like most leathers.

If you have a large volume of water, give it a try. I harvest mine regularly when doing my monthly water change. : )
It is a good "indicator" for me and the kids think the pulsing is really cool!

I have also heard that it is photosynthetic. If you run your main tank lights for 12 hrs./day, then just run the fuge lights for 12 also, but opposite the main display! This will also help to keep your pH steady.

waldomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2008, 09:06 PM   #11
THE GIMP
Premium Member

I have Xenia in my fuge, under T8s, reverse photo period. Working out a few problems in my system, (mainly RO/DI, upgrade to be delivered tomorrow... Chloramines), so I can't say either way.
I cleared it out of my DT because it would take over if I didn't constantly cut it back. It seems to do its best when the tank isn't spotless, so if you have a fast system don't bother. My intent is to have it like what Jose is talking about, a Xenia scrubber.

My main fuge is a Gyre, with a penduncter under the overflow. Due to this circular flow nothing settles, but the xenia all points down stream. It is not growing as well, mainly due to the lower light intensity, but it is growing and spreading never the less. This Fuge was intended to be a frag tank, but at this time, other projects have taken priority and it will be taken down in the not so distant future.

We're gonna need a bigger boat...
If its not tied up or in a cage, I'll need a stick!
Who is John Galt?

Current Tank Info: 180 BB, ATB med ext, 2 Vortechs, Life Reef CARX, RKE, T5
THE GIMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2008, 12:36 AM   #12
bromion
Registered Member

It sure does grow like mad. I keep pulling it out and giving it away.

Unread 10/02/2008, 12:48 AM   #13
ktrandc
Premium Member

its starting to grow out of control in my tank. any suggestions on how to pull it out?

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon 48x30x20 Lee Mar tank, Bubble King Mini 180, Vortech mp60w, Tunze 6055, ATI Power Module 8 bulbs, Bubble Magus dosing pump, Eheim 1262 return
ktrandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/02/2008, 01:05 AM   #14
bromion
Registered Member

Few options. Generally, I can just pry it off the rock with my fingernails. Once you get between the rock and the stalk, it will come off easily. If you don't want to pry off a whole stalk, a sharp razor blade works very well. Cuts right through it!

It's actually quite interesting to look at the stump left by cutting off a stalk with a razor. There are lots of hexagonal regions in there. Crazy! Also, it grows back : )

Unread 10/02/2008, 08:50 AM   #15
sps4mytank
Moved On

Yea, I consider xenia as a weed type coral. Cut it and it grows back. Eventually it'll get to a point where you dont want it anymore and you have to take out the rock. Often I dont even bother. Best way to guarantee no more growth is to simply chip it off the rock or give the rock away. IMO its a real PITA.

Batman...TO THE REFUGE it GOES