Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2010, 01:13 AM   #1
andy.thompson12
Registered Member

LED lights...why doesn't anyone do this?

So, I was thinking....why can't we just take a string of LED christmas lights, bunch them together in a tight area, and point them towards our reef tank...would that not help the growth and coloration of corals? Then, I went on to read that christmas lights don't have the same output (but they DO have some output, are cheaper, and probably could give off as much PAR right?). Has anyone tried this? just to test it out? Anyhow, I also looked into this: http://www.theledlight.com/par38.html ...would this not work either? Why not?

maybe I'm just being stupid, but I'm curious. I was thinking of doing a trial run on my stylophora which lost a little bit of it's color (used to be fluorescent green...now it's mint-green). I could just put a light, or series of lights pointed towards just that coral and see if there's a change. yes....no?

andy.thompson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 03:56 AM   #2
daveonbass
Registered Member

I'm not an expert, but I don't think christmas lights would ever work, it's just not as similar as you think. As far as the PAR38s yeah...they are used...a quick search on here will give you plenty of info as to their success.

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
daveonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 05:07 AM   #3
nmunro
Registered Member

I am not an expert on leds, but have started using these in my house

http://c-leds.com/store/category.php?id_category=61

Easy and cheap to get you started and some experience.

nmunro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 05:44 AM   #4
westmoorenerd
USN Avionics Technician

I know of people doing it on nano-reef a couple years back

Unread 05/18/2010, 06:01 AM   #5
nowlan
Registered Member

There is a xmas light in the ghetto thread

nowlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 08:08 AM   #6
AngelAddict
Moved On

Won't work, the par in Xmas lights aren't near enough to sustain a reef. From my understanding, you'd need so many of those lights, it wouldn't be efficient.

AngelAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 08:55 AM   #7
phurst
Richmond Reefer

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...ight=christmas

Current Tank Info: Various tanks of various sizes with various gear.
phurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2010, 12:20 PM   #8
andy.thompson12
Registered Member

ok, so in that thread, some people said that the blue lights would be a nice replacement for actinics. Do actinic lights serve a purpose other than aesthetics? In that case do you think it would be more beneficial to make my T5s (2 actinic 2 white) and make them all white? Would that be better?

Unread 05/18/2010, 02:25 PM   #9
andy.thompson12
Registered Member

in other words, would I get better results by having 4 white t5 lights and some blue leds on the side (for looks), or do I need actinics for reasons other than looks/aesthetics (aka coral growth or color) ?

Unread 05/18/2010, 02:53 PM   #10
sjmantis
On the cliff by the sea..

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_in...roducts_id=623

youre welcome

sjmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 12:37 AM   #11
Shard
Registered Member

Actinics are not just for aesthetics.

The dual actinic bulbs used in most systems have one bulb that peaks around 420nm and another that peaks around 460nm. Light in this area of the spectrum is also used in photosynthesis.

Chlorophyll A and Chlorophyll B both have absorption peaks between 400-500nm. Both of these types of Chlorophyll are present in zooxanthellae, which are the symbiotic organisms present in coral.

To be specific, Chlorophyll A has a peak closer to the lower end roughly around 430nm, while Chlorophyll B has a peak somewhere around 460nm. I can't give you specific numbers, because determining that is complicated. The solvent used to extract the chlorophyll for scientific studies affects the absorption spectrum.

Anyway. I hope this is a good enough explanation. In short: good actinics = good photosynthesis = good coral growth

29g Blue Spotted Jawfish Tank
Shard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 01:04 AM   #12
andy.thompson12
Registered Member

so, how might I go about achieving better coral coloration (my main problem). Don't get me wrong, my sps corals are colorful (pink/ green pocillopora and minty green seriatopora)....but I wish the seriatopora was the color I got it as: bright green.

I have seen additives that improve coloration, and also the T5 bulbs I am using came with the fixture so I am just using them, but they aren't the best quality. Should I look into getting some of these additives or is it all about the lighting?

Unread 05/19/2010, 01:21 AM   #13
Shard
Registered Member

Well, water quality obviously affects the health of your corals. So an unhealthy coral is unlikely to show color improvement, but absent of water quality issues, it is all about the light.

Its a combination of wavelengths available, PAR, light coverage, etc. The PAR values are lower the deeper you go in a tank. The higher up the corals are, the more light they are getting, so this could improve coloration. I would call coral placement a combination of art and science

I will say this though... additives to improve coloration? Someone else may be able to chime in, but this sounds like snake oil to me. Coloration is the result of the pigments that are present in the coral/zooxanthellae, and this is a result of the amount of photosynthesis going on. I doubt there is any additive that would really help or affect this. Not to beat a dead horse but.... its all about the light.

29g Blue Spotted Jawfish Tank

Last edited by Shard; 05/19/2010 at 02:00 AM.
Shard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2010, 11:43 AM   #14
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.thompson12 View Post
So, I was thinking....why can't we just take a string of LED christmas lights, bunch them together in a tight area, and point them towards our reef tank...
Because your reef tank is not worth burning down your house.

Some guy did this and half of his house burned to the ground... trying to find the link but yeah. It won't produce enough light to grow coral.

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2010, 07:25 PM   #15
sam11909
Maxi Mini

318 LED Christmas lights, getting the PAR readings soon.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1893337

A reef aquarium is simply an aquarist's best try of painting a small section of the ocean and containing it in a glass frame. Each new coral adds a new color or brush stroke to the painter's toolbox.

Current Tank Info: The Stair-Stepping Nano System
sam11909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 07:59 AM   #16
Ianwraab
Moved On

Lightbulb No..no.. And. No...

No.

Christmas lights are for Christmas trees they serve no purpose other than creating light...

Aquariums are a major investment and the biggest part of that investment is in your lighting...

Other than low par, no penetration, and no range of spectrum...
you cant grow a $300 piece of coral under $25 worth of light...

Led Christmas lights might look good on a freshwater Oscar tank but that's bout it...lol

Compare prices... If one set of lighting is $50 and the other is $500.... The $500 is better...

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

Ianwraab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 08:44 AM   #17
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Back from the dead

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 09:30 AM   #18
docstomper
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianwraab View Post
No.

Christmas lights are for Christmas trees they serve no purpose other than creating light...

Aquariums are a major investment and the biggest part of that investment is in your lighting...

Led Christmas lights might look good on a freshwater Oscar tank but that's bout it...lol

Compare prices... If one set of lighting is $50 and the other is $500.... The $500 is better...

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
What if you string 3w Cree LED's for Christmas lights?

:hatersgonnahate:

Current Tank Info: 180 reef. 48" 8 bulb t5, dolphin amp master return,
docstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 09:56 AM   #19
RotaryGeek
Registered Member

Lol potatoes are gunna potate.

Unread 04/02/2012, 11:19 AM   #20
Ianwraab
Moved On

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by docstomper View Post
What if you string 3w Cree LED's for Christmas lights?

:hatersgonnahate:
Fire....

Unread 04/02/2012, 12:00 PM   #21
username in use
Sciencing Daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianwraab View Post

The cost of the coral is of no consequence, neither is the cost of the light. I can grow a $300 plate coral under a $10 CFL bulb if I want to. Color won't be great, and the tank would have to be shallow, but it can be done so that analogy makes no sense.

This is not a good comparison of anything. You need to look at the each fixture individually and decide how its producing light, how much its producing, what spectrum its producing and how efficiently its producing it. Nothing can be compared that black and white
That being said, I don't think the christmas lights will get you much other than some mushrooms in a really shallow tank.

"With fronds like these, who needs anemones?" - Albert Einstein

Current Tank Info: multiple nano's sprinkled around the house
username in use is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 12:10 PM   #22
gbru316
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy.thompson12 View Post
So, I was thinking....why can't we just take a string of LED christmas lights, bunch them together in a tight area, and point them towards our reef tank...would that not help the growth and coloration of corals? Then, I went on to read that christmas lights don't have the same output (but they DO have some output, are cheaper, and probably could give off as much PAR right?). Has anyone tried this? just to test it out? Anyhow, I also looked into this: http://www.theledlight.com/par38.html ...would this not work either? Why not?

maybe I'm just being stupid, but I'm curious. I was thinking of doing a trial run on my stylophora which lost a little bit of it's color (used to be fluorescent green...now it's mint-green). I could just put a light, or series of lights pointed towards just that coral and see if there's a change. yes....no?
There are two subjects that kill most money-saving ideas; physics and science.

It's best to educate yourself in the related subjects before outlining or starting an experiment. After acquiring adequate knowledge, many ideas can be scrapped before ever leaving the drawing board.

gbru316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 12:25 PM   #23
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

This is an almost 2 year old thread? Perverts.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2012, 01:48 PM   #24
ghellin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
Back from the dead

Omg best mtg card ever!

Unread 04/02/2012, 03:00 PM   #25
Ianwraab
Moved On

Exclamation Ok.ok.ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by username in use View Post
That being said, I don't think the christmas lights will get you much other than some mushrooms in a really shallow tank.
Seriously first off I'm sorry I didn't notice the date on this post....
But if it's so outa date why are you fish geeks still subscribed to it?? Lol

As for the $300 coral comment....
You start with a small plate and get it to the size and color I'd pay $300 bucks for.....not gonna happen under some ghetto DIY safety hazard...

And to reply to your response to my beating of a dead horse...

Ok you might need to compare numbers if the difference is $10...
But if I'm lookin at $25 worth of Christmaslights glued to a cardboard lid vs. a $500 factory build...
Well I don't think I need to look at the numbers in that situation....

My comments are outdated... Main reason I chimed in is because I can spot a safety hazard a mile away and this little controlled experiment could be a bad idea for less.... Sensible people...

Geeez guys I'm new..

You got D&D card images saved to your pc for this situation.... That's lame though... Lol.

Tags
led, light help, lighting, lighting par, reef