Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/04/2017, 10:36 AM   #1
allendehl
Registered Member

What came with my TBS rock??

Well,

My TBS rock just came and to my newbies eyes are WONDERFUL. It came with an insane amount of life on them. So much that I got a baby octopus with them!!! No sure what to do with it so please let me know quick. I kept it in the bag with water until I know if I can put it in the cycling tank or not.
Below are several pics. Of course I have no idea what is in the rocks so I'd greatly appreciate if you help me I'd.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
allendehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 10:37 AM   #2
allendehl
Registered Member

Baby octopus and more. The thing I'm holding in my hand above is soft and spits out water.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 350 (72G) | Jebao DCT 4000 (1056 GPH Max) | Reef Octopus 152-S | 2 X Jebao PP8 (2100 GPH Max)
Unread 10/04/2017, 11:02 AM   #3
ktownhero
Registered Member

Rock looks great but the baby octopus makes me sad. I would see if an LFS will take it from you. They are very intelligent and difficult to keep. They WILL escape any tank you put them in.

ktownhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 11:10 AM   #4
tjm9331
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhero View Post
Rock looks great but the baby octopus makes me sad. I would see if an LFS will take it from you. They are very intelligent and difficult to keep. They WILL escape any tank you put them in.
agreed, rock looks amazing and should be chalk full of life but get that little guy to a LFS or perhaps see if a local aquarium will take him. what ever you decide you got to do it quick cause I'm sure he won't last long in the bag.

tjm9331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 11:19 AM   #5
JTL
Registered Member

Maybe just release him into the Atlantic.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 11:22 AM   #6
allendehl
Registered Member

No chances I can keep it in the tank?

Unread 10/04/2017, 11:23 AM   #7
JTL
Registered Member

Your chances of keeping that little creature alive in your tank is less than zero.

100 gallon DT and 50 gallon sump with refugium. Reefbreeders Photon V2+.
JTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 11:30 AM   #8
Potatohead
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL View Post
Maybe just release him into the Atlantic.
I would do this

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 11:43 AM   #9
allendehl
Registered Member

I am far from the ocean and will not be able to make it today. Best chances are to give it to a LFS and hope they'll take good care of it.
Do I normally get credits for these giveaways to the LFSs?

Unread 10/04/2017, 12:18 PM   #10
allendehl
Registered Member

...also can you help ID the stuff in the rocks?

Unread 10/04/2017, 12:49 PM   #11
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allendehl View Post
I am far from the ocean and will not be able to make it today. Best chances are to give it to a LFS and hope they'll take good care of it.
Do I normally get credits for these giveaways to the LFSs?
sometimes you get credit, and sometimes not. depends on the store and what you give. I think if you get half what they retail for you're lucky. I've also given away fish and starfish for 10% of what they were worth because I couldn't keep them. Beggers cant be choosers, and I'd rather see the animals live than try to make a buck off of them. In the case of the octopus, you'd sort of be giving away a burden as the LFS will have a hard time getting rid of it and taking care of it as well, so I swouldn't espect anything in return for that one.

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 12:53 PM   #12
allendehl
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastator007 View Post
sometimes you get credit, and sometimes not. depends on the store and what you give. I think if you get half what they retail for you're lucky. I've also given away fish and starfish for 10% of what they were worth because I couldn't keep them. Beggers cant be choosers, and I'd rather see the animals live than try to make a buck off of them. In the case of the octopus, you'd sort of be giving away a burden as the LFS will have a hard time getting rid of it and taking care of it as well, so I swouldn't espect anything in return for that one.
Thank you devastator, just learning the ropes on how the relationship with the LFS works. I am trying to establish a good connection with them. This could be a good opportunity for both, me and my baby octopus friend. Hard to send him away tho

Unread 10/04/2017, 12:58 PM   #13
Breadman03
New Old School

Quote:
Thank you devastator, just learning the ropes on how the relationship with the LFS works. I am trying to establish a good connection with them. This could be a good opportunity for both, me and my baby octopus friend. Hard to send him away tho
You could also look through the reef clubs listed here for clubs local to you, then post it up for grabs. Keep in mind that RC rules state that you can't sell, but you're good to give stuff away.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2017, 05:30 PM   #14
allendehl
Registered Member

Well...little friend is in the LFS. Did post it in my local reef club but the one person interested was late.

Now...any help IDing the rest of the stuff? LFS guy told me most are sponges.

Unread 10/04/2017, 10:45 PM   #15
thegrun
Registered Member

Most of what I see are sponges, a few may survive, but most will likely die in an aquarium.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 12:02 AM   #16
Xxero
Registered Member

I'm not 100% positive, but that green macro plant looks like Caulerpa Mexicana to me. I would try to kill every bit of that or else it has the potential to root into all of your rockwork. It can be a real nuisance.

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef Display - 15g Macro Algae/Refugium - 40b Sump
Xxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 12:10 AM   #17
Xxero
Registered Member

Sorry, just saw your other thread asking about the Caulerpa.

Current Tank Info: 65g Mixed Reef Display - 15g Macro Algae/Refugium - 40b Sump
Xxero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 05:25 AM   #18
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Most of the live stuff I can see on your rock will probably die, like most sponges do if out of the water. However, some do tolerate it and may survive. The coral is not photosynthetic and odds are it will die. The algae is the opposite extreme, it can grow like crazy and can completely over run your tank.

I tried some TBS live rock in a 65g shallow reef and the algae grew everywhere. I also got flat worms that I'm still trying to get rid of. The only thing I think TBS live rock is good for is if you are doing a VERY wild and natural tank. Never for a coral reef!

Unread 10/05/2017, 05:51 AM   #19
cincyjim
Registered Member

I have to disagree with you Ron (first time I think) on your view that TBS rock is not good for a reef. I integrated TBS rock with my rock when I upgraded tanks and I could not be any happier. I got a thing or two that I didn't want but that was okay... it was a known risk. You have a point with the algae but my tangs ate every bit of algae (good and bad) that came on the rocks. The bio diversity cannot be beat in my opinion! I still have a fist size oyster in the tank that came on the rock not to mention a dollar (coin) size scallop that's still alive in my refugium. All the good stuff definitely out weighs the bad.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 06:10 AM   #20
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyjim View Post
I have to disagree with you Ron (first time I think) on your view that TBS rock is not good for a reef. I integrated TBS rock with my rock when I upgraded tanks and I could not be any happier. I got a thing or two that I didn't want but that was okay... it was a known risk. You have a point with the algae but my tangs ate every bit of algae (good and bad) that came on the rocks. The bio diversity cannot be beat in my opinion! I still have a fist size oyster in the tank that came on the rock not to mention a dollar (coin) size scallop that's still alive in my refugium. All the good stuff definitely out weighs the bad.
No argument with me, just a difference of opinion. I didn't have any tangs in my tank so the algae was an issue. But I have lots of critters that won't tolerate Flatworm Exit and the flat worm population has been a long term PITA! Not so sure you'd feel the good out weighs the bad if you got more of the bad.

Unread 10/05/2017, 06:11 AM   #21
bobt2
Registered Member

the tbs web site has a great id on the critters that come with the rock.i have had a few tbs tanks. I would never do any other rock. the stuff the local shops sell is junk imo.

bobt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 06:13 AM   #22
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Well,

My TBS rock just came and to my newbies eyes are WONDERFUL. It came with an insane amount of life on them. So much that I got a baby octopus with them!!! No sure what to do with it so please let me know quick. I kept it in the bag with water until I know if I can put it in the cycling tank or not.
Below are several pics. Of course I have no idea what is in the rocks so I'd greatly appreciate if you help me I'd.

Thanks!!!

IT is sad that the information on live rock has become so skewed. The industry has changed so much in 30 years as what is available to you the hobbyist in the stores now is dead rock, fake rock, ceramic rock...ect.

Real live rock has been around and used for over 35 years in reef tanks. Bio diversity is a wonderful thing for a reef tank, unfortunately there is not enough real live rock from the ocean available, thus you as hobbyist are stuck with fake rock in your local stores.

All the life is beneficial for your reef tank, including macros. Like anything else some pruning of them is needed eventually but the benefit of them is immense in a saltwater tank.

The octopus will do fine, it is a gulf dwarf. I have sold thousands of the over the years and they are great and interesting critters for a real saltwater tank. Dr. Caldwell from University of Berkeley has done a lot of research on them over the years from specimens we have supplied him. Easy to keep, just keep it fed. They have a two year lifespan, yours is a Juvenal, most likely less than a year old.

The knee jerk reaction of real life on the rocks is a direct result of what is not available to you the hobbyist anymore in your stores. Like any anemone observed on live rock is instantly labeled, "Aptasia" horrible, kill it, remove it from your tank. Where in reality there are many, many anemones that occur on real live rock that are fine for saltwater tanks. You have been conditioned by the internet to "Kill" any anemone that pops up.

See that coral growing on the rock, and all the other life...it will do fine in a saltwater tank. Personally to me a saltwater tank is an mirror of what the real reef in the Gulf looks like, not a pile of white dead rock or painted rock.

To each his own.

and this email just came in as I was posting this.... so I will add it....this is what happens when real live rock and sand from the Gulf is used...

I'm sure you hear this all the time but hopefully you don't get tired of it: That rock and sand is amazing! I had set up my tank with dry rock but no sand yet. I found out about your live sand and decided that was the way to go. The tank had been cycling for about one month, was looking good but the water was still a little cloudy. I put in your sand and the couple pieces of rock I ordered, and within one day the water was crystal clear! And the live rock of course puts the dry rock to shame. If I ever set up another reef tank it will be 100% TBS rock and sand. Nothing beats mother nature!

Thanks again,

Jared

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef

Last edited by liverock; 10/05/2017 at 11:09 AM.
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 06:21 AM   #23
cincyjim
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
No argument with me, just a difference of opinion. I didn't have any tangs in my tank so the algae was an issue. But I have lots of critters that won't tolerate Flatworm Exit and the flat worm population has been a long term PITA! Not so sure you'd feel the good out weighs the bad if you got more of the bad.
Hey Ron, have you thought about a Wrasse? I've also read where Peppermint Shrimp eat flat worms. I have no idea if that is true or not though. Just a thought.

Current Tank Info: SCA 150G, 5 inch sand bed, 2 Tunze 6095s, ReefBreeders v2+ 50" with 2 all Blue Reefbrites, and Continuous Water Change System
cincyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 06:58 AM   #24
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
IT is sad the the information on live rock has become so skewed. The industry has changed so much in 30 years as what is available to you the hobbyist in the stores now is dead rock, fake rock, ceramic rock...ect.

Real live rock has been around and used for over 35 years in reef tanks. Bio diversity is a wonderful thing for a reef tank, unfortunately there is not enough real live rock from the ocean available, thus you as hobbyist are stuck with fake rock in your local stores.

All the life is beneficial for your reef tank, including macros. Like anything else some pruning of them is needed eventually but the benefit of them is immense in a saltwater tank.

The octopus will do fine, it is a gulf dwarf. I have sold thousands of the over the years and they are great and interesting critters for a real saltwater tank. Dr. Caldwell from University of Berkeley has done a lot of research on them over the years from specimens we have supplied him. Easy to keep, just keep it fed. They have a two year lifespan, yours is a Juvenal, most likely less than a year old.

The knee jerk reaction of real life on the rocks is a direct result of what is not available to you the hobbyist anymore in your stores. Like any anemone observed on live rock is instantly labeled, "Aptasia" horrible, kill it, remove it from your tank. Where in reality there are many, many anemones that occur on real live rock that are fine for saltwater tanks. You have been conditioned by the internet to "Kill" any anemone that pops up.

See that coral growing on the rock, and all the other life...it will do fine in a saltwater tank. Personally to me a saltwater tank is an mirror of what the real reef in the Gulf looks like, not a pile of white dead rock or painted rock.

To each his own.

and this email just came in as I was posting this.... so I will add it....this is what happens when real live rock and sand from the Gulf is used...

I'm sure you hear this all the time but hopefully you don't get tired of it: That rock and sand is amazing! I had set up my tank with dry rock but no sand yet. I found out about your live sand and decided that was the way to go. The tank had been cycling for about one month, was looking good but the water was still a little cloudy. I put in your sand and the couple pieces of rock I ordered, and within one day the water was crystal clear! And the live rock of course puts the dry rock to shame. If I ever set up another reef tank it will be 100% TBS rock and sand. Nothing beats mother nature!

Thanks again,

Jared
Preach, brother!
I was scrolling through this thread about to go off on a rant and then this guy goes and says it all and more.

I didn't know about the Octopus though! Didn't realize they existed in the gulf. That's pretty cool.

Allendehl, enjoy that rock! Did you get "the package" or just the rock?
That bit above about the sand is especially true.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2017, 06:58 AM   #25
ginpang
Registered Member

What came with my TBS rock??

I would try to get to a public aquarium.

I happened to me where I used to work.
I had been in the hobby for about a decade back then.
I bought a closed aquarium for it and siliconed the openings for the wiring.

I fed it live ghost shrimp and baby hermits.
Kept it in a dimly light room and covered 3 sides of the aquarium to reduce the stress.
Finally when I figured he was acclimated and used to me approaching the aquarium to feed him 4 weeks later....I tried to take a picture and it inked itself .
I didn’t have enough water ready to do a major to complete water change so it dragged for about an hour .. and he didn’t make it.

So basically if you want to try this have at least 3 times the volume of saltwater ready to go just in case he nukes the tank.
A good stash of carbon , purigen or whatever other efficient organic remover.
Also stress zero confined to a separate room where no one goes for awhile.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ginpang; 10/05/2017 at 07:31 AM.
ginpang is offline   Reply With Quote