Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 03/14/2010, 02:55 AM   #176
Faisal1976us
Registered Member

wow , it really big tank

Unread 03/14/2010, 07:50 AM   #177
Posidion
Coral Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy One View Post
I'm confused ? what is it?Btw awsome build so far, hopefully your retired, your going to wish you were after this project is done you'll never want to leave the house .LOL
not to steal peter's thunder but i believe its a koi pond with screen cover to prevent fish abduction by aliens from the great out doors/neghibors cat planet.

Unread 03/14/2010, 07:59 AM   #178
Elliott
Registered Member

regarding pests introduced with LR you may want to consider purchasing all dry rock and seeding it yourself, the process doesn't take long, you can use a few pieces of live rock to seed

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Unread 03/14/2010, 08:03 AM   #179
rwynn
Registered Member

Inspirational

Goodluck seeing this project through to the end(as much as that is possible in this hobby). Your vision is remarkable and inspirational to anyone reading this thread. Subscribed and cheering from way down south!

Unread 03/14/2010, 09:22 AM   #180
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics3000 View Post
QT in all your live rock and visually inspecting each rock is the only way to go. It would only take one rock with aptashia to be a REAL PITA. I am sure a lot of hobbyist would agree. It is great you have your rock with good flow and a skimmer so you can get rid of your die off before it gets into your display. I am really looking forward to this thread.

Do you listen to any pod casts? There are a few great reef pod cast sites. You can also get some good info from them. When I do any kind of travel I usually have plenty of pod cast to keep me informed and up to date.
Thanks Eric, good advice on both counts......

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 09:30 AM   #181
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy One View Post
I'm confused ? what is it?Btw awsome build so far, hopefully your retired, your going to wish you were after this project is done you'll never want to leave the house .LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posidion View Post
not to steal peter's thunder but i believe its a koi pond with screen cover to prevent fish abduction by aliens from the great out doors/neghibors cat planet.
Its not just the aliens......there are other 'things' ......in the woods and in the air...... I've gone to great lengths to protect my fish as you can see below so don't get any ideas.....he bites!!!!!

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 09:33 AM   #182
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faisal1976us View Post
wow , it really big tank
Thanks for dropping by...

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 09:39 AM   #183
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
regarding pests introduced with LR you may want to consider purchasing all dry rock and seeding it yourself, the process doesn't take long, you can use a few pieces of live rock to seed
Thanks Elliott, but can you imagine what it would be like to stuff the envelopes with over two thousand pounds of rock to send it back, never mind the cost of the stamps???? nah, I'll take my chances...

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 09:44 AM   #184
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwynn View Post
Goodluck seeing this project through to the end(as much as that is possible in this hobby). Your vision is remarkable and inspirational to anyone reading this thread. Subscribed and cheering from way down south!
Thank you very much rwynn, your sentiment is truely my fuel for the effort here. The reality, I am learning already is that the inspiration is reciprocal.

Now if I could just convince you to take some snow and send me warm sunny weather.............

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 09:56 AM   #185
swissgaurd
Registered Member

one way of getting rid of hitchikers is to use an octupuss,they love hitchikers.
i usually lay out all the rock and watch the crabs crawl out. as for aptaisia ive never actually worried about it from fresh rock.
never seen apt. on premium rock.

vic

Unread 03/14/2010, 09:59 AM   #186
Elliott
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineball View Post
Thanks Elliott, but can you imagine what it would be like to stuff the envelopes with over two thousand pounds of rock to send it back, never mind the cost of the stamps???? nah, I'll take my chances...

Peter
ahh, didn't realize you already purchased LR

TOTM, March 2015

Current Tank Info: tank video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1dI7mdnGU ,900g in wall mixed reef, another 500g sumps, 19 AI Sol LED's, 2 CL's w/VFD's controlled pumps to 24 eductors, 2 Tunze WB's, 2 Barr 5220's and RK2 25PE and BK500, etc
Unread 03/14/2010, 10:21 AM   #187
nineball
Registered Member

Speaking of live rock..........

This is my dead rock guy.......

and the dead rock guy's helpers.......

First time I can honestly say I am 'Gratefull Dead' rock doesn't require dipping!!!!!

Peter (sorry, I couldn't resist the temptation)

The rock is from the Canadian shield.....4.5 billion years old ........truely cured!

Last edited by nineball; 03/14/2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: update
Unread 03/14/2010, 10:24 AM   #188
rwynn
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you very much rwynn, your sentiment is truely my fuel for the effort here. The reality, I am learning already is that the inspiration is reciprocal.

Now if I could just convince you to take some snow and send me warm sunny weather.............

Peter

My wife and I are planning a Canadian ski trip next year some time, might have to bring some of this 80 degree(januray/february) heat to you as a trade for a glimpse of what appears to be a beautiful neighborhood and amazing tank!

Unread 03/14/2010, 10:26 AM   #189
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissgaurd View Post
one way of getting rid of hitchikers is to use an octupuss,they love hitchikers.
i usually lay out all the rock and watch the crabs crawl out. as for aptaisia ive never actually worried about it from fresh rock.
never seen apt. on premium rock.

vic
Vic, I loooove the idea of the octupuss. How cool would that be!!! I'd bring him extra rock just to watch him work!!!!

Seriously thanks, I am walking right down the path you suggested earlier, it was very helpfull.

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 10:29 AM   #190
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwynn View Post
My wife and I are planning a Canadian ski trip next year some time, might have to bring some of this 80 degree(januray/february) heat to you as a trade for a glimpse of what appears to be a beautiful neighborhood and amazing tank!
Looking forward to seeing you. I'll be here as I think vacations are a thing of the past for me........

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 11:03 AM   #191
Bax
Premium Member

Very nice ancient stone work and slick Dead referrence. I did not realize you had the rock already as well. IME, high quality live rock is much better than dead unless you've got the time to leach off the PO4, I've found even quality dead rock produces tons more PO4 than live rock does.

Current Tank Info: 150 DT/ 40B fuge/ 75g frag/ 40 g sump/ SRO XP 3000 Ext/ TUNZEs & VorTechs circulation/Dart return/ MTC Pro Cal/ UV & Oz
Unread 03/14/2010, 11:05 AM   #192
Tater11
Registered Member

this is going to be a great build.looking forward to following it.

Unread 03/14/2010, 11:23 AM   #193
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
Very nice ancient stone work and slick Dead referrence. I did not realize you had the rock already as well. IME, high quality live rock is much better than dead unless you've got the time to leach off the PO4, I've found even quality dead rock produces tons more PO4 than live rock does.
aahhhhh, more encouragement.......Thanks and thanks for the balanced view. This hobby and this thread mixed together is an enormous crucible of learning.

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 11:23 AM   #194
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater11 View Post
this is going to be a great build.looking forward to following it.
Tater, Thanks and welcome aboard.

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 11:44 AM   #195
gradyhines
Registered Member

Wow

Another great tank to follow. Looking good man, the Bentley is very nice as well. Just drove one, smoooooooth ride.

Current Tank Info: 45G tall, 20G sump w/ refugium, icecap ballast with 14k pheonix de, and all other essentials!
Unread 03/14/2010, 11:45 AM   #196
Tater11
Registered Member

not trying to jump to far ahead.but do you have an equipment list yet?

Unread 03/14/2010, 12:17 PM   #197
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradyhines View Post
Another great tank to follow. Looking good man, the Bentley is very nice as well. Just drove one, smoooooooth ride.
Thank you Grady, I thought of putting an aquarium in the Bentley but I just couldn't deal with the skimmer!!!

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 12:22 PM   #198
nineball
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater11 View Post
not trying to jump to far ahead.but do you have an equipment list yet?
I do, but I thought the best way to handle those questions and answers was to use a high def camera and do an interview with the supplier. That should be very informative and usefull for all of us I hope. Again I learned this from Chingchai who did a phenomenal job. So yes its a wee bit premature but not too far off. Stay tuned.

Peter

Unread 03/14/2010, 12:37 PM   #199
dmb1977
Registered Member

very very impressive, so impressive i joined this site and subscribed

Unread 03/14/2010, 12:39 PM   #200
Tater11
Registered Member

Quote:
I do, but I thought the best way to handle those questions and answers was to use a high def camera and do an interview with the supplier. That should be very informative and usefull for all of us I hope. Again I learned this from Chingchai who did a phenomenal job. So yes its a wee bit premature but not too far off. Stay tuned.

Peter
great idea.can't wait

Closed Thread