Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/14/2006, 04:43 AM   #1
fishtk75
Registered Member

Hyposalinity Help

Were is it were to read on it?
Who used it?
What will it do to the main tank livestock?

fishtk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2006, 06:21 PM   #2
kraze3
Registered Member

Ive done it successfully, its very easy

You dont want to do it in your main tanka s it will kill inverts and your LR and LS. Fish need to be removed and place in a seperate tank for treatment

Heres a link
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html

kraze3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/15/2006, 04:20 AM   #3
fishtk75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kraze3
Ive done it successfully, its very easy

You dont want to do it in your main tanka s it will kill inverts and your LR and LS. Fish need to be removed and place in a seperate tank for treatment

Heres a link
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...osalinity.html
Thank you very muchKraze3
What QT setup do you have looking what light,what to move water,do you filter water and so on?

Unread 06/15/2006, 05:48 PM   #4
kraze3
Registered Member

I just have a 10 gallon set up at the moment for a QT. I didnt have a big enough tank for a hospital tank when i went thru hypo. I removed all my LR and just preformed hypo on the tank. I killed all my LS but oh well the fish are fine and the sand can be reseeded. My 10 gal just has a shoplight on with a 40 watt light bulb and some pvc in the bottom. I have a hang on back filter, small heater, and small powerhead. Nothing special just to watch the fish for any signs of sickness

QT article that may have some useful info for you
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Unread 06/16/2006, 04:18 AM   #5
fishtk75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kraze3
I just have a 10 gallon set up at the moment for a QT. I didnt have a big enough tank for a hospital tank when i went thru hypo. I removed all my LR and just preformed hypo on the tank. I killed all my LS but oh well the fish are fine and the sand can be reseeded. My 10 gal just has a shoplight on with a 40 watt light bulb and some pvc in the bottom. I have a hang on back filter, small heater, and small powerhead. Nothing special just to watch the fish for any signs of sickness

QT article that may have some useful info for you
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php
On the QT do ever change the water at times?
The other on RC said min 4weeks is that how long for you or longer?
If you see ich do you add copper?
Also do you change all QT water for each new fish?

Unread 06/16/2006, 07:05 PM   #6
kraze3
Registered Member

Yes I did reg water changes on my QT/hospital tank. 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly.

Hyposalinity should be done for 6-8 weeks. I did mine for 9 weeks dropped my salinity to 1.008

Dont do copper and hypo together. Stick with the hypo its easier. copper can be lethal if not used correctly.

When you perform hypo you need to remove all fish and treat them all in hypo at the same time. Leaving your main display fishless will cause the ich to die out because they will have no host for reproduction. if you do your fish seperate, as you add them back to the main tank the will most likely become infected again.

Unread 06/16/2006, 11:06 PM   #7
Wolverine
RC Mod

Make sure you use a refractometer, not the plastic hydrometers, to follow the water parameters; they're not accurate enough to make sure you're staying in such a tight range.

Dave

Current Tank Info: 14g, 29g nano reefs
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2006, 04:12 AM   #8
fishtk75
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine
Make sure you use a refractometer, not the plastic hydrometers, to follow the water parameters; they're not accurate enough to make sure you're staying in such a tight range.

Dave
Yes I have one and use all the time the plastic float one was bad news read bad numbers never again.

In the Reefkeeping said hold the PH which way do you all do that at water for changing?