Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/27/2012, 04:09 PM   #1
bigfish14
Registered Member

RO/DI Unit Questions

I hooked up my 5 stage BRS plus RO/DI unit today and was very disappointed to find out that we have less than 20 psi water pressure. As much as I dreaded the decision, I had no choice but to order a booster pump. The pump should be here around Wednesday, so I thought I would ask a couple questions while I wait.

1) It says to run the RO/DI unit for an hour before use. Does this mean I should run it while flushing the membrane for an hour, or normally and just get rid of the RO/DI water that was made?

2) Can I have the waste water line run above the unit? I plan to run the waste water line out of a window up near the ceiling in my basement.

3) Is there a way to disconnect the hoses from the push fittings?

Current Tank Info: 40B reef tank being transferred into a 20 gallon because of apartment rules
bigfish14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2012, 06:00 PM   #2
drew2007
Registered Member

1 - Run it normally for about an hour to sort of break in and flush the membrane. I would discard the water or use it to water plants or something.

2 - It should be no problem to run the line above the unit. you should have plenty of pressure to push through with the pump.

3 - If by push fittings u mean the ones where u simply put the line in and it locks then yes. You have to play with it a bit. Pull back the inner "lock" and pull the line out.

Unread 04/27/2012, 07:28 PM   #3
bigfish14
Registered Member

Thanks for the help

Current Tank Info: 40B reef tank being transferred into a 20 gallon because of apartment rules
bigfish14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2012, 07:35 PM   #4
ScottRT
Registered Member

+1 on what bigfish said. I also have my waste water line running out above my actual unit. Still have plenty of pressure to make it happen, especially if your running a booster. Best of luck.

ScottRT is offline   Reply With Quote