Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/29/2011, 04:40 PM   #51
mginn
Registered Member

I have a twin spot goby. Works hard all day sifting sand and keeps it very clean. He has learned to look for sinking pellets during feeding time and is doing very well. He really does not spraed sand all over, just sifts it through his gills and settles right back down to the bottom. Very active and very interesting to watch

mginn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2011, 05:06 PM   #52
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mginn View Post
I have a twin spot goby.
For a beginner, I would not recommend a twin spot goby. In fact, I probably would never recommend a twin spot goby to anyone unless you have a very large sand bed surface area. How long have you had him?

Unread 05/29/2011, 05:10 PM   #53
JG1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhuo View Post
For those who are looking for a goby that would associate with a pistol, the Amblyeleotris randalli (aka Randall or Orange Stripe Prawn Goby) is a good choice. The goby will not, however, sift sand. There are lots of other gobies that known to pair with a pistol.

Do you have a shrimp for him?

Current Tank Info: 100g Rimless Starphire
JG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2011, 05:18 PM   #54
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1 View Post
Do you have a shrimp for him?
Yes. He lives with a tiger pistol. The pair is the primary reason why I set up a 10g nano.

Unread 05/29/2011, 05:30 PM   #55
JG1
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes. He lives with a tiger pistol. The pair is the primary reason why I set up a 10g nano.
Ah, ok. Thought this was your regular tank.

Current Tank Info: 100g Rimless Starphire
JG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2011, 05:47 PM   #56
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Quote:
I don't believe the after-mentioned gobies are hard to maintain long term even in a medium size tank. Unlike other sand sifters, this particular one is quiet hardy provided that you are willing to feed it daily. A few years back, there were generalized statements about certain sand sifters which do not accept any prepared food and their long term survival is low. This slowly turns into all sand sifters are impossible to keep. There were also lots of misconceptions about DSB (also a few years back) which would provide enough micro-fungas for the sand sifters to feed on to a point you don't need to feed him. For those who are following these recommendations, we certainly know they weren't true so lots of people end up not having a good experience with these fish. Now that it becomes more apparent that it's highly unlikely a sand bed in a closed system would provide anything nearly enough food these fish need so we know we need to feed.
I kinda figured that was the case. It was interesting coming back into the hobby just after 6+ years to see the changes in "philosophies" on a lot of stuff. When I first started, the DSB and bioballs were all the rage, no one knew about caulerpa going sexual, Carpenter's wrasses were $24.95 and recommended for 30 gallon tanks, pistol shrimp were the scourge of the tank, and feeding only a couple times a week was never mentioned.

SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2011, 05:49 PM   #57
mginn
Registered Member

I bought this Goby on impulse before reading up on it. But it has done very well even though listed as difficult to keep. Finds sinking food very easily. Keeps the sand very clean. One of the most beneficial fish I have

mginn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/29/2011, 07:54 PM   #58
EuroDriver
Registered Member

I have a yellow head goby in my 50g tank and hes does a great job! Initially, I bought the mated pair but one jumped and met its demise. The two were a bit too much for my setup, but with one it's quite ideal. It keeps the sand white and it does not disperse it all over the rockwork - it's very tidy. At first, he was extremely shy and after about a month - just when I began to regret it, it lost its shyness and it now parades itself all over the tank.

EuroDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2011, 11:01 AM   #59
thebkramer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmullet View Post
So I bought the Diamond watchman goby and he's been in the tank for 2 days. I have seen him once but how ling before he starts sifting the sand? He Hides under the live rock all day. Does it take a while for him to get comfortable?

Just wanted to know if yours came out yet?? We both purchased one on the same day
Mine started doing his thing today.. he's soooo cool!! Hope yours is going to work too!!
Heres my baby... love watching him bulldoze through everything!!

[IMG]http://i52.*******.com/f38cxu.jpg[/IMG]

There is NO such things as Dumb Questions!! There are However.. Dumb Answers!!! ;)

Current Tank Info: 55g reef....Current Orbit SunPaq Lights, HOB Eshopps, HOB AquaClear 110, 2-1400 Koralia Powerheads & 1 Nano Koralia, 40+ lbs LR, 2" LS
thebkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2011, 10:25 PM   #60
goldmullet
Registered Member

thebkramer
I have seen mine once so far he peeked out when I was feeding and went back to hiding. He built a cave under my live rock and hasn't really sifted much. He has sifted a little but not lots.
My diamond head is all white, I hope that means he's a diamond head?

goldmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2011, 10:41 PM   #61
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebkramer View Post
[IMG]http://i52.*******.com/f38cxu.jpg[/IMG]
He's hungry. Look at this belly.

Unread 05/30/2011, 10:48 PM   #62
donwilson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlterry85 View Post
i would stay away from a goby. most tend to spit sand all over your corals and quickly consume any pods or other life in your sand bed. get some nassarius snails to stir your sand bed instead. just my opinion.
My opinion, too.

I had a golden headed goby and he pretty much ate everything available in the sand within a few weeks and then passed away.

I'd only get a goby if you know how to take care of it long term.

donwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2011, 10:50 PM   #63
dzhuo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmullet View Post
My diamond head is all white, I hope that means he's a diamond head?
That's another common name for this goby. Do you have a picture?

Unread 05/31/2011, 12:56 AM   #64
goldmullet
Registered Member

I'll try and get a picture of him. But I have only seen him
Once so I'll try and sneak one.

goldmullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2011, 05:44 AM   #65
thebkramer
Registered Member

Quote:
He's hungry. Look at this belly.
I know.. right!!!
Sadly.. this is how they come from LFS
But I did get him direct from Quality Marine.. didn't give them time to acclimate him at LFS.. he's been sooo much fun!! lol And eats anything I put in tank! hahahah he'll be plump in no time!!!

goldmullet.. I'm sure your buddy will be out & about in no time!!
There was 3 different colorations at my LFS when I went to buy my little buddy.. I took the one that had the Brightest Oranges on him..

There is NO such things as Dumb Questions!! There are However.. Dumb Answers!!! ;)

Current Tank Info: 55g reef....Current Orbit SunPaq Lights, HOB Eshopps, HOB AquaClear 110, 2-1400 Koralia Powerheads & 1 Nano Koralia, 40+ lbs LR, 2" LS
thebkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/31/2011, 11:11 AM   #66
Markandamber
Moved On

what about the queen conches.. arent they sand sifters

Markandamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2011, 11:52 AM   #67
jsatter1
Registered Member

My friend has a Yellow watchman/tiger pistol combo and I love watching the relationship. So interesting! I want to get a combo like this when my tank is up and running however I have a concern or really 2 questions,

1. I am running a 4"DSB in tank, will the above combo affect the DSB in a harmful way? Or vice versa (DSB releasing stored element compounds into burrow)?
2. Also, through this thread I have learned that watchman once paired don't really shift the sand, would adding a true snad shifting goby after the above pair hooked up be an issue for either goby (for top DSB agitation)?

Current Tank Info: pH 8.1, trates 0.0, trites 0.0, dkH 10, Ca 420, Sg 1.024, temp 78F
jsatter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2011, 02:58 PM   #68
DeniseAndy
Registered Member

Any special methods to QT these sand sifters? I have a 210 display with 2" sand that could use some good cleaning. I currently have Conch, Nasarrius and I vacuum, but like these guys. Just want to keep everyone happy.

Thanks

DeniseAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2011, 03:11 PM   #69
Jerdel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseAndy View Post
Any special methods to QT these sand sifters? I have a 210 display with 2" sand that could use some good cleaning. I currently have Conch, Nasarrius and I vacuum, but like these guys. Just want to keep everyone happy.

Thanks
Looking for an answer on this as well.

Jerdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2011, 05:53 PM   #70
OregonReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseAndy View Post

Thanks
My Diamond Spot Goby is the one fish in my tank that I didn't QT just because of the concerns I had about no sand in the QT.

Very interesting fish though... spends his days all over the tank. The sand is spotless... and he has a little cave he made to sleep in that he covers the entrance to every evening... Eats flakes and pellets

Unread 12/02/2011, 10:32 PM   #71
00Warpig00
Registered Member

I have 3 gobies in my 180. A pair of Valenciennea Helsdingenii (Black Line Sleeper/Railway Sleeper) Goby and a single Valenciennea Strigata (Yellow Headed Sleeper) Goby. All three sift sand religiously and do a great job of it. NOTE: I do have a FOWLR tank and sometimes all three take a mouth full of sand and then swim up two inches or so and sift. Sometimes I get some sand on my live rock. Not a big deal for me but I have no corals.

As for QT. I QT'd all three (not at the same time first the yellow head, later the pair of Black Lines) in my 20GH with a small amount of sand for them to sift. my tank was set up same as normal QT with 4" PVC but i also put in about half of a 32 oz cup of sand from my DT into the QT. I cannot think of any reason you cannot use a small amount of sand IF your fish are healthy. Mine all were so it was not an issue. made them more comfortable and at home. IF you have to treat them you may not want the sand. I had NO ISSUES, but mine were healthy. after 6 weeks in QT just empty the QT tank and DISCARD the sand.

Provided a fish is healthy... the QT tank functions as Refuge for a fish that has been through allot to get to your house. A place to relax and not worry about other fish chasing it etc while it recovers from the stress it has endured. Also to verify unknown health of a fish. Observation and the fish to get used to you and your feeding schedules. IF not healthy then possibly treating it too. I'd probably remove the sand if I needed to treat the tank, but if there is no need to treat there is no reason I can think of to NOT use a little sand from a known healthy source like your healthy DT.

NOTE: I do not treat a fish of unknown health in my QT as a defacto standard. If I see issues yes, otherwise no. The fish has been through enough... If it is healthy it doesn't need treatment. Just my philosophy. I dont take drugs when I'm not sick either... lol

Nick

Current Tank Info: 180G FOWLR Established 10/2010

Last edited by 00Warpig00; 12/02/2011 at 10:37 PM.
00Warpig00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2011, 07:30 AM   #72
Gandolfe
Registered Member

If you want your sand re-arranged on a daily basis, get a couple of Convict gobies. they will move your sand bed around every day.I have 2 that are over 16" long and my sand bed never looks the same as it did the daybefore. but they do make piles in corners and around rocks while digging caves, and they uncover my mangroves all the time as well as sand on the rocks. I actually wanted to not move them to my 125 from my 90 but I've had them for over 5 years and couldn't bring myself to get rid of them(2 of my original fish). I'm not sure they clean the sand that much but they doo keep it churned up and aerated. They actually look like zebra eels when they stretch out!

Last edited by Gandolfe; 12/03/2011 at 07:41 AM.
Gandolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2011, 12:54 PM   #73
listerofsmeg
Registered Member

I had a chalk goby called Toby the Goby. It was a fantastic fish and I loved it, but it died because it ran out of food and wouldn't eat anything else. So... don't get a chalk goby. Sorry don't have any more advice because I'm a noob myself, but yeah, stay away from chalk gobies.

listerofsmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2011, 08:25 PM   #74
Vadafallon
Registered Member

My diamond goby is a working machine. Just make sure u have a top. My first one jumped.

Vadafallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2012, 10:18 PM   #75
kevs014
Registered Member

Id say 2"-3"

kevs014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goby