Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Avast Marine Works
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2011, 02:27 PM   #1
kbb0118
Registered Member

Skimmer overflowing?

I've got the Pegleg CS1 with Sicce PSK2500 pump, and a Swabbie on my 65g DT with 40 breeder sump. I probably have 80 gallons total volume. I have a dedicated skimmer compartment and the skimmer is sitting on an eggcrate box I made to elevate to the right water depth. Water level in the skimmer compartment stays consistent even if the ATO is empty. I do run BRS biopellets. I've had this skimmer since the second it came out and have been battling overflowing skimmer since the beginning. It will get great skimmate for like a day or two and as soon as I think I've got it figured out finally....WHAM! The skimmer goes nuts and all that nastyness is rinsed back in the tank. I'm getting really tired of doing 30%+ water changes and my livestock is suffering. I spent enough on this skimmer and don't want to buy a skimmate locker that will just get filled up every day.

I've tried every combination of wide open, tube off the silencer and way out of the water, freshly cleaned, not so clean, just the pump in the water, 6" of water, 8", and 8.5". I tried adding PVC on the output to make the discharge quieter - I was sure to add a T so there would be no back pressure. The skimmer overflows with and without the added PVC T.

I use Reef Crystals, RODI, Apex Controller, LED lights, aforementioned BioPellets, mangroves, and live rock and sand. My $300 anemone looks like crap.

What am I missing? Thanks in advance. I'm desperate.

kbb0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Rwinfrey
Registered Member

It sound like you have a volute problem

Current Tank Info: Wish I had one building a house
Rwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2011, 04:28 PM   #3
slowsoaks
Registered Member

I lowered the discharge tee down as far as I could. I would have the valve open all the way and was skimming very wet. I also made a wedge pipe instead of using the valve and have had better control over the height in the skimmer and the water discharge is quieter.

slowsoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2011, 05:55 PM   #4
kbb0118
Registered Member

Rwinfrey - do you mean like there's something stuck in it or that it's manufactured wrong? In case it matters, I cleaned the pump, tubes, skimmer body, etc in vinegar about3 weeks ago thinking maybe it was just dirty.

slowsoaks - did you cut the tube that it came with to make the discharge tee lower? How much water is your skimmer standing in?

Unread 04/04/2011, 06:26 PM   #5
ctenophore
RC Sponsor

Hi kbb
Just sent you email, sorry for the delay getting back to you. Give me a call when you get a chance; it will be easier to diagnose by phone I think.

Justin

ctenophore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2011, 06:40 PM   #6
kbb0118
Registered Member

So I tried shortening the discharge pipe. That slowed down the cup filling, but its still filling with bubbles. Plus I can't use the air silencer.

I talked to Justin. Avast really has the best customer service. I'm confident we'll figure out the solution.

Unread 04/04/2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Rwinfrey
Registered Member

I clean my volute evey week just throw the tube in a hot cup of water it will suck it down and keep things clear

Current Tank Info: Wish I had one building a house
Rwinfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 04:28 AM   #8
slowsoaks
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbb0118 View Post
Rwinfrey - do you mean like there's something stuck in it or that it's manufactured wrong? In case it matters, I cleaned the pump, tubes, skimmer body, etc in vinegar about3 weeks ago thinking maybe it was just dirty.

slowsoaks - did you cut the tube that it came with to make the discharge tee lower? How much water is your skimmer standing in?
I used a new tee, not the one you make the valve out of. The skimmer is in 7 inches of water, enough so the tee is completely submerged. This has made the water coming out of the skimmer much quieter.

slowsoaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2011, 02:42 PM   #9
kbb0118
Registered Member

Justin was able to solve my problem (it was most likely overflowing when the PSK2500 started in the other direction) - really excellent customer service. I've got two of their reactors, two swabbies and the pegleg skimmer and have very high confidence that my money was well spent because they won't leave their customer's hanging. Thanks Justin!