Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 08/21/2008, 07:30 AM   #976
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raen
Photobucket
Photobucket

The top is a picture of the BTA (the healthy one) and a FTS. his is where she footed and has never moved. So you all think I should move her???
no

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 08/21/2008, 07:34 AM   #977
raen
Registered Member

How the heck do I get that crab out???? It is brown and looks hairy.

She wasn't wicked, she only liked the shoes!!!

Current Tank Info: 60 Gall Hex, 3 #3's, no fuge..........YET!!!
Unread 08/21/2008, 07:35 AM   #978
raen
Registered Member

So leave her there? No bothering her?

Unread 08/21/2008, 07:54 AM   #979
raen
Registered Member

So sad to report that I pulled the Nem this morning. She decom'd so quickly. I AM REALLY SAD!!!!!!! So 2 beloved members of the fam gone in 1 month!

Unread 08/21/2008, 07:56 AM   #980
kar93
Registered Member

Sorry, Rae. What did she look like. You say she decomposed quickly. Nems are often slow 'passers'.

Unread 08/21/2008, 07:56 AM   #981
raen
Registered Member

I am so near a split, should be excited, and I am ready to throw in the towel. I have gotten so much info from a local reef friend that I thought was good and valid, but then learned from all of you that it was in fact bad info and I do not have the equipment that I need to make this tank a success. I am at my limit, ad ready to start finding home for the fish.

Unread 08/21/2008, 07:58 AM   #982
raen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kar93
Sorry, Rae. What did she look like. You say she decomposed quickly. Nems are often slow 'passers'.
Last night she was still "half" good. She had one half of herself nicce and inflated. Today, her foot was almost totally broken down and her insides were showing. She was no doubt dead/dying.

Unread 08/21/2008, 08:05 AM   #983
kar93
Registered Member

Don't give up just yet. We all have our bad times but then something happens and it's all worth while.

Unread 08/21/2008, 08:23 AM   #984
otrlynn
Registered Member

Quote:
I am so near a split, should be excited, and I am ready to throw in the towel. I have gotten so much info from a local reef friend that I thought was good and valid, but then learned from all of you that it was in fact bad info and I do not have the equipment that I need to make this tank a success. I am at my limit, ad ready to start finding home for the fish.
Rae, you absolutely have what it takes to make your tank a success--most of all your dedication to making it work. There is no reason that tank can't be a beautiful fish tank with soft coral and maybe some LPS. I think the trick is in knowing what the tank can support and focusing on that. I took an anemone back to the LFS early on, after I read on here that I really couldn't/shouldn't put it in my tank. I'm not saying that is your case, just that there is no shame in making a mistake and learning from it. Pick your head up and figure out what you and your tank can do well.

Unread 08/21/2008, 08:30 AM   #985
HumanIMDB
Premium Member

I am not an expert, but "she" looks okay to me in that FTS...how long has it been there again? Personally, I would just leave it there until it moves or really starts to show signs of trouble; unfortunately, that might mean leaving it until it's too late but I think the constant poking and prodding it might be causing more harm than good.

In instances like this, I usually take the approach that I'm doing everything I can, if it doesn't make it, it wasn't meant to be.

"First, do no harm..."

I'm sure you just want to do everything you can, but at this point I'd say leave it and see what happens.

Will do computer support for frags. :)

Click on the Red House to see our AGA92 Corner Reef Tank Build thread.

Current Tank Info: 10 Gal (Aqualight 96W Quad 50/50, AquaClear Power Filter 70 with Chaeto lit by 6500K Bulb, AquaClear Power Head 20, 50w Tronic Heater), 92 Gal All-Glass Corner (Cycling)
Unread 08/21/2008, 08:37 AM   #986
raen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HumanIMDB
I am not an expert, but "she" looks okay to me in that FTS...how long has it been there again? Personally, I would just leave it there until it moves or really starts to show signs of trouble; unfortunately, that might mean leaving it until it's too late but I think the constant poking and prodding it might be causing more harm than good.

In instances like this, I usually take the approach that I'm doing everything I can, if it doesn't make it, it wasn't meant to be.

"First, do no harm..."

I'm sure you just want to do everything you can, but at this point I'd say leave it and see what happens.
That one in the FTS i not the sick nem. She is healthy looking, eats, ad is happy blowing in the wind.

Unread 08/21/2008, 08:37 AM   #987
HumanIMDB
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HumanIMDB

"First, do no harm..."

I guess I should have read the rest of the posts before replying...
Quote:
So sad to report that I pulled the Nem this morning. She decom'd so quickly. I AM REALLY SAD!!!!!!! So 2 beloved members of the fam gone in 1 month!
That sucks Rae, but perhaps it was not meant to be...I don't think you could have done anything more to help it.
Quote:
Don't give up! You're passionate about the hobby and are willing to do whatever it takes so given time you will be enjoying your successes.

If it makes you feel any better, Kara and I are kicking ourselves for neglecting our nano over the summer as we've lost the beautiful ricordia, blastomussa, and sun coral. The first two were crowded out by GSPs and mushrooms respectively and the sun coral starved to the point that all but two of the polyps have detached from the skeleton and are now in various areas around the tank. We're going to try to rescue it, but I don't have much hope.
Quote:
Originally posted by otrlynn
Rae, you absolutely have what it takes to make your tank a success--most of all your dedication to making it work. There is no reason that tank can't be a beautiful fish tank with soft coral and maybe some LPS. I think the trick is in knowing what the tank can support and focusing on that. I took an anemone back to the LFS early on, after I read on here that I really couldn't/shouldn't put it in my tank. I'm not saying that is your case, just that there is no shame in making a mistake and learning from it. Pick your head up and figure out what you and your tank can do well.
+1

Current Tank Info: 10 Gal (Aqualight 96W Quad 50/50, AquaClear Power Filter 70 with Chaeto lit by 6500K Bulb, AquaClear Power Head 20, 50w Tronic Heater), 92 Gal All-Glass Corner (Cycling)
Unread 08/21/2008, 08:40 AM   #988
raen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by otrlynn
Thanks for all of your kind words. I appreciate it a bunch! It's just so hard to have defeat after defeat and not want to throw it all in. Thanks again for all of your words, and encouragement, that makes it a bit easier.

Unread 08/21/2008, 08:40 AM   #989
Aquarist007
Registered Member

I am shocked ----there appeared nothing wrong with that nem.

Rae, its the nature of the hobby esp with us all being new to the hobby---you are going to get loses despite anything you can do.

You have learned alot here in a short time---remember that anemone did go through a move back and forth lately and some power head truama earlier in its life.

You do have the quality of long term success in this hobby but you will have more loses too.

One of the key areas you should focus on is your water chemistry--you have to get that stable and in the accepted ranges--really for about 6 months to be successful with anemones and corals.

start monitoring your
pH 8.2
magnesium 1300 ppm
calcium over 400 ppm
alkalinity 8-11 dkH
salinity 1.026

I would suggest you start a two part dosing regime--I have a blog on how to start it

Being a nurse you should be able to master this quite easily

don't give up--just focus on how to get better

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 08/21/2008, 08:51 AM   #990
raen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
I am shocked ----there appeared nothing wrong with that nem.

Rae, its the nature of the hobby esp with us all being new to the hobby---you are going to get loses despite anything you can do.

You have learned alot here in a short time---remember that anemone did go through a move back and forth lately and some power head truama earlier in its life.

You do have the quality of long term success in this hobby but you will have more loses too.

One of the key areas you should focus on is your water chemistry--you have to get that stable and in the accepted ranges--really for about 6 months to be successful with anemones and corals.

start monitoring your
pH 8.2
magnesium 1300 ppm
calcium over 400 ppm
alkalinity 8-11 dkH
salinity 1.026

I would suggest you start a two part dosing regime--I have a blog on how to start it

Being a nurse you should be able to master this quite easily

ThanksScott, I was going to take a picture of her before I disposed of her, but I didn't have the heart, or the stomach to do it. she was almost inside out. AWFUL!!! I do monitor all params on a weekly basis, and also have the LFS double heck me bi-weekly. I test near perfect everytime, only off on the salinity at 1.024-5. I appreciate all that you guys have done, and all of your words. You are a good friend!

Unread 08/21/2008, 08:53 AM   #991
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
+1

Keep your chin up... you're on the right track for sure Rae

Unread 08/21/2008, 08:53 AM   #992
HumanIMDB
Premium Member

Quote:
Thanks for all of your kind words. I appreciate it a bunch! It's just so hard to have defeat after defeat and not want to throw it all in. Thanks again for all of your words, and encouragement, that makes it a bit easier.
We all have failures and losses, that is how we learn...my first venture into saltwater was a tank with black epoxy gravel, plastic decorations, and a canister filter as the only means of filtration and thought I was doing well!

I've learned sooooooo much since getting back into the hobby and am sometimes frustrated with how much there is left to learn but some how you have to keep going...

Hang in there, we'll help you through it anyway we can! Just remember, whatever happens, you are not alone!

Unread 08/21/2008, 08:59 AM   #993
raen
Registered Member

Thanks guys.....you really are all great!

Unread 08/21/2008, 08:59 AM   #994
Tswifty
Registered Member

oh yeah... btw

6 more posts till SPLIT!!!

Unread 08/21/2008, 09:00 AM   #995
raen
Registered Member

Scott, have you and Brenda named the baby yet?

Unread 08/21/2008, 09:01 AM   #996
raen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tswifty8
oh yeah... btw

6 more posts till SPLIT!!!

I know but I suck so bd, I can't even begin to know howto index it. Can I just cut and paste what Scott did for me before and add to it?

Unread 08/21/2008, 09:05 AM   #997
Tswifty
Registered Member

just quote the post... make sure you do it before the split, or the thread gets locked and you can no longer retreive it.

I sent you a PM with the code you'll want to use for the post.

Unread 08/21/2008, 09:21 AM   #998
maroun.c
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your anemone. Do not give up just yet. we all have our bad days but most of us who give up and tear up their tanks end up returning to it few months later and have to start up from scratch again. I say give your tank another chance. instead of making further purchases invest in the equipment you think you need to be able to support more demanding animals and then try them again. Over the last ten years I adopted 5-6 bleached and near death anemones which I saved all of except for one that was too bad to save from the start. 3 of them died when I left my tank unattended for 2 years and I also lost my 8 years old RBTA that was the 1st coral I ever got. that alone was close to through me out of the hobby last month but somehow I regained more will to improve my system further.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Current Tank Info: 390G mixed reef
Unread 08/21/2008, 09:47 AM   #999
kudora
thread reader

hang in there raen, it just wasnt ment to be.

Unread 08/21/2008, 09:47 AM   #1000
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1455781

Closed Thread