Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2018, 08:35 PM   #1
BrotherNature
Registered Member

RO/DI question

I've got a 4 stage RO/DI unit I got from BRS. How do I know when I need to replace the filters? Is a TDS reading of 1 an indicator or can I let this ride for awhile? Can I continue using it at 5, 10, 15, or 20? How do I know what's toxic? Thanks.

BrotherNature is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 08:37 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

My RODI has 2 DI stages. As soon as my first DI stage reads anything above 0, it gets swapped. Same with my 2nd DI stage. Anything above 0 on the the DI is not good and means the DI cartridge should be replaced immediately. It’s not just the TDS but more importantly, what that TDS consists of. Regardless, if your TDS meter is reading above 0, it’s time to replace your DI cartridge.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 10:35 AM   #3
Opus123
Registered Member

Depends on how technical you want to get about the process. Some people measure the pressure after the filters and replace once it starts dropping because that means the filters are becoming clogged. If you don't want to do it that way, and many don't, then the rule of thumb is to change the sediment and carbon filters every 6 months. The RO membrane when it drops below its stated efficiency level, which is usually 95% or higher. The DI should be changed once you start getting a TDS above 0.

Opus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 11:39 AM   #4
outy
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherNature View Post
How do I know what's toxic? Thanks.
I measure water leaving membrane before DI, you should know that number.

I change membrane when I get an increase in TDS numbers of just 2tds after being flushed and running for a minute or two.

I change pre filters and carbon blocks when they change colors, as I have a lot of iron in my water. I never let the 3rd carbon filter change color, only the first two before I change all media.

outy is offline   Reply With Quote