Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Premium Aquatics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2012, 05:47 PM   #1151
shaggss
Registered Member

Hi all

I have a BK Mini160 and setting up a Swabbie. What fitting is used in the skimmer drain hole?

Thanks!

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2012, 09:43 AM   #1152
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

You can either glue your own small pvc (metric size) into the hole, or you can tap threads in it and put a small threaded fitting in there.

Jeremy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/21/2012, 07:19 PM   #1153
takayan
Premium Member

What is the difference between Supermarin and Deluxe?

What is the difference between Supermarin and Deluxe? Could you give me a couple of major differences?

takayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2012, 09:44 AM   #1154
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

The Super Marin has a cone coming off of the bubble plate to increase the concentration of the foam right before it hits the coned neck. The Deluxe is a standard cylinder and bubble plate, with a coned neck. The Deluxe does have a telescoping wedge pipe though which is nice for adjustment, so you can really dial it in.

Unread 04/23/2012, 10:04 AM   #1155
takayan
Premium Member

SuperMarin 200 and Deluxe 200, which is more powerful? The spec says both of them rated 400Gal.

SuperMarin 250 and Deluxe 250. For this case, the rated of SuperMarin 250 is 800gal, but the deluxe is 525gal. It looks like SuperMarin is more powerful.

takayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 05:57 AM   #1156
joaovieira
Registered Member

please advise a BUBBLE KING oversized skimmer for a 180 sps gallons

Hi I have a 180 gallons mainly sps reef tank and i am planning to buy an oversized skimmer so i could feed all my fishes and keep PO4 and nitrate low. I was thinking on a bubble king double cone 250 or supermarines 250. Which would you recommend ?

Thanks everyone

joaovieira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/24/2012, 08:48 AM   #1157
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

@takayan, You probably won't see much difference either way. The Super Marin has a great design, however you will get a little more reaction time in the Deluxe series.

@joao, A 250 model will be too big on a 180g system, period. It's just too much skimmer for that small water volume. You will get much better performance sticking with a 200 series from Royal-Exclusiv.

Unread 04/24/2012, 05:29 PM   #1158
joaovieira
Registered Member

@joao, A 250 model will be too big on a 180g system, period. It's just too much skimmer for that small water volume. You will get much better performance sticking with a 200 series from Royal-Exclusiv.[/QUOTE]

Do you advise me a 200 series even if i have a full stocked sps tank currently with 12 fishes and giving plenty of daily coral and fish food ? The reason i am changing to another skimmer is precisely cause i am facing some nutrient export deficit and now i really have to be on the safe side regarding my choice.Thats who i was considering an oversized skimmer. Which model has better performance? Double cone or supermarines ?.

Thanks for your help. I want to make sure i take the best informed decision

joaovieira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2012, 02:45 PM   #1159
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Hi Joao,

You couldn't fill a 180g system + sump with enough livestock to ever be too small with a 200 series in that size water volume. I would suggest going wtih the Super Marin.

Unread 04/27/2012, 12:30 AM   #1160
125mph
Registered Member

HELP! My bubbleking mini 160 just died on me tonight. The pump doesnt turn on and doesnt make any noise or vibrate. I've had the skimmer for about 8 months.

I cleaned it out once but never took apart the pump... is that way? I just took it apart and theres not much calcification but I'm soaking it in vinegar.. Anything else I can do? Is this thing under warantee?

Synergy Reef CL44 Sump | Neptune Apex
125mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/27/2012, 09:58 AM   #1161
125mph
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 125mph View Post
HELP! My bubbleking mini 160 just died on me tonight. The pump doesnt turn on and doesnt make any noise or vibrate. I've had the skimmer for about 8 months.

I cleaned it out once but never took apart the pump... is that way? I just took it apart and theres not much calcification but I'm soaking it in vinegar.. Anything else I can do? Is this thing under warantee?
Fixed it... an overnight dip in vinegar +water fixed it.

Synergy Reef CL44 Sump | Neptune Apex
125mph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2012, 10:21 AM   #1162
Alex T.
Registered Member

I bought a slightly used (less than a month old) Supermarin 200 back in February, cleaned it in white vinegar and RO water and plugged it in 3 days ago as my new 195 gallon tank is cycling. It's sitting in 8" of constant water level as suggested (20-25cm) and will not stop overflowing. I have the drain line 100% open and the red pump nozzle all the way closed, but it will not stop. I took the silencer apart and cleaned it, checked that there are no obstructions in the drain line but the problem persists. All my rock and sand is dead from being bleached and cured in muriatic acid 4 months ago and thoroughly dried, and as a precaution I started all new water with Seachem's Prime to rid the rocks of any residue. There are some orange plastic pieces in the airline (I assume they're there for a purpose but who) that don't seem to obstruct the airflow.

Every other skimmer I ever owned could be tuned to allow less water in and not overflow as it breaks in. With the drain pipe open and the pump all the way closed shouldn't this be the case? I'm confused.

Any help would be appreciated.

Current Tank Info: Currently in reboot mode
Alex T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2012, 02:16 PM   #1163
sreefs
Registered Member

I know prime will make skimmers go nuts! Leave the drain all the way open as you have it and open the red nossle 1 1/4 turns. The air line(clear soft tube goes from pump to the silencer) should not have anything in it. You my need to take a few gallons of water out, as your skimmer cup fills let it drain out of the cup drain in a bucket. This will remove the prime. Replace with fresh salt water. It may take 5-6 gallons to run through the skimmer cup to get the prime out,
HTH

sreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2012, 09:14 AM   #1164
Alex T.
Registered Member

I changed some water, cleaned out the sump of residue with a large, new tile sponge and the problem persisted. I read somewhere that there is a residue on brand new filter socks. Since this may be the case, I'm washing all of them right now prior to putting another one in. Hopefully this solves the problem. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for the help sreefs.

Unread 04/29/2012, 08:56 PM   #1165
Heliman
Registered Member

Royal Exclusive Supermarin 200 internal

I have done the research and about to pull the trigger on the above skimmer...

But I am not quite clear from the adverts and the specs. just how Ozone is utilised with this particular skimmer.

I can see the seperate Ozone port on the Bubble King 200 model, but not so clear to understand how it works on the Supermarin 200

Advice ???

Thnks...David

Heliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2012, 08:20 AM   #1166
sreefs
Registered Member

My Supermarin 200 has a seperate ozone port on the pump as well.
HTH

sreefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2012, 08:30 AM   #1167
Alex T.
Registered Member

Well, I washed and dried all filter socks. Then, I dis and re assembled the skimmer trying to see if anything was obstructing the air or water intakes...nothing. I put it back int he sump and once again turned the wedge pipe fully open, and the pump nozzle fully closed. The skimmer still builds up and overflows, so I opened the remote waste collection line once again.

If there is too much Seachem Prime in the water shouldn't it have worked its' way out by now? I'm stumped. There are so many bubbles that they're coming out of the hole on the red pvc wedge pipe that the air hose enters. I read on the Prime bottle that it's not supposed to make your skimmer "overreact". Are they misleading us? I'm well within the sump depth safe zone at 8 inches yet the skimmer persists with overflowing. Is there something I'm missing, or is this part of a very long break-in period?

Any help would.....help.

Unread 05/01/2012, 08:21 AM   #1168
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Alex, you're overflowing because you have the venturi fully closed. Open it up and the water level will drop. You can mimic the same thing that is happening on your skimmer right now with any other skimmer you may have used in the past by putting your finger over the airline and holding it there, the water level raises and the skimmer overflows.

Unread 05/01/2012, 12:50 PM   #1169
Alex T.
Registered Member

Jeremy, I wish that was the reality of it. If by open you mean that more and more of the red nozzle is exposed...I did that. It overflows even faster when I open up the venturi.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Unread 05/01/2012, 12:54 PM   #1170
Alex T.
Registered Member

I now have the nozzle fully open (almost unscrewed) and the water is running out the waste drain as if it was a pump outlet.

Unread 05/01/2012, 02:54 PM   #1171
Alex T.
Registered Member

Jeremy, I am now even more confused than 3 days ago when this all started.

You're saying that the red nozzle being all the way closed blocks more air coming in from the venturi. I understand that fully, yet why is it that when I start unscrewing the red nozzle on the pump to allow more air in that the water level in the skimmer rises and water gushes out the waste port like Niagara Falls? I even have bubbles exiting the riser tube through the hole where the airline goes up. With the wedge pipe fully open and the venturi fully closed shouldn't water still be able to exit making the minimal amount of bubbles? I'm making bubbles all the way to the top of the cup where they overflow immediately and out through the waste port into the sump again. Could I have really added that much Prime to see this happening? It states on the bottle that it will not make the skimmer over react. It's been 3 days, 30 gallons of water changes and it is not subsiding even for a second...just a constant stream of water exiting the collection cup unskimmed...with a sump full of bubbles.

Unread 05/02/2012, 07:02 AM   #1172
Jeremy B.
Registered Member

Alex, has the skimmer ever worked correctly since you've been running it? Is this a new tank?

Unread 05/02/2012, 08:24 AM   #1173
Reef_Noob
Registered Member

@Alex
Prime in the recommended doses doesn't cause a skimmer to over skim. But in large quantities iv seen it make the skimmer go berserk.
You had cooked your live rock in muriatic acid right? Had you washed the rock several times over and soaked it in RO water with daily water changes for a week or more before you added it into the display tank with Prime?
IMHO I feel it sure looks like some chemical residue in you tank water thats causing this issue.
Does the skimmed out water show even a light brownish/yellowish tinge? If it does keep draining that out and replace with freshly mixed salt water.
Another option would be remove all your live rock and treat them with purigen and prime in a separate container for a period of 1 week and add it back. Do a 70% water change Observe how your skimmer how it is without the live rock in the DT.
Try poly filter pad see if it pics out some chemical residues.
One more thing let the skimmer run without the collection cup for a while and check if a frothy foam head develops something like this:

Once this foam bed appears put back your collection cup.
Sorry for the rant hope it helps ya out.

BUILDING A DREAM....SPS Dominated 105cm x 51cm x 54cm (Low Iron Belgian Glass)....Please visit my homepage for build thread.

LED Lighting (CREE Main Unit 60w x2, T5 and T8 LED tubes), LED RGB-P Light bar, DIY Sump, Bubble King 180 Gen.2 Skimmer, TECO TR15 Chiller, Sicce Multi Return pump, X-Wave Rotary Device, Vortech MP40 ES, Hydor Korallia Wavemakers(2800 x2, 4000 x2), RR Wavemaker, 2x Nano Wavemakers, SIAM Ocean Media Reactor, Kent Phosphate Reactor, 6 Stage RO/DI unit, Ginko Sea Auto-top System.

Current Tank Info: DREAM 1.0 is up and running..,DREAM 2.0 build is underway (Read on from Page 25)
Reef_Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2012, 10:13 AM   #1174
Alex T.
Registered Member

The rock sat drying out for over 2 months. Then it was rinsed and put in fresh salt water with Prime as the display tank filled, all the while being dosed with MB7. After about a week I pulled the rock and placed it in the display. There is no possible chance for a froth to even develop. It bubbles to the top same as the bottom of the skimmer and pours out the drain very fast. The skimmer was taken apart, rinsed with ro and vinegar, wiped clean and then put back with the same result. I've already changed roughly 25% of the water volume and it didn't skip a beat. I really don't know what pulling the collection cup off would do. I also read the back of a PolyFilter pad package and it said it would not remove a water conditioner, do I'll have to nix that. I'm not going to pull the rocks out and rinse them. I've been seeding them for over 2 weeks now and don't want to start another mess. I really don't know. I may just have to ride this out and wait.

Unread 05/02/2012, 10:21 AM   #1175
Alex T.
Registered Member

Jeremy, this is n-Klein's skimmer. He bought it in January, and sold it to me 3 weeks later because he went with an algae turf scrubber. There are pictures of it skimming in his tank when he installed it back in January.

Yes, this is a brand spanking new tank, new sump, newly rinsed sand and dead rock.