Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/04/2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Nirvana
Registered Member

ESV Salt

I have done some research and from what i heard this is a really good salt. I also heard that you have to mix it. What do they mean by you have to mix it and it doesn't come mixed. The reason i am asking these questions is because my local LFS is offering me $59 for 200G worth of this salt on an ongoing basis since i know him.

Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

They provide it as multiple components which you mix together.

It is likely a fine salt, and many people like it, but I do not see the utility of spending more time and money on salts than is provided by ordinary Instant Ocean (IMO).

That said, that's a reasonable price to give it a try.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Comes in seperate liquid and powder forms.
Great salt, you will love it, just takes a little time to get used to it.
My corals never even closed up with water changes.

Vinny Kreyling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Nirvana
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Holmes-Farley View Post
They provide it as multiple components which you mix together.

It is likely a fine salt, and many people like it, but I do not see the utility of spending more time and money on salts than is provided by ordinary Instant Ocean (IMO).

That said, that's a reasonable price to give it a try.
Randy the price is very reasonable considering IO is $5 less at the lfs and if I buy online and ship it's $10 more. I just wanted to see before I buy because Im used to IO and RC

Unread 05/04/2012, 04:50 PM   #5
rogerwilco357
Registered Member

wow I use Reef Crystals and IO and would love to try that for the price I just got a batch of Red Sea Pro and it either settled with the alk powder on top or it was a bad batch but my alk was 14dkh if I have to mix my pre-mixed salt to get it right I would rather just add the components and be happy with it perfect and no dice rolling thanks for the post now I know which one to try..

Current Tank Info: 2x2x4 120gal,sump45 gal.RKE controller,ATI Powermodule 8x80watt,1MP20+2MP40,1 mp10,RoyalExclusive Alpha200
rogerwilco357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Nirvana
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwilco357 View Post
wow I use Reef Crystals and IO and would love to try that for the price I just got a batch of Red Sea Pro and it either settled with the alk powder on top or it was a bad batch but my alk was 14dkh if I have to mix my pre-mixed salt to get it right I would rather just add the components and be happy with it perfect and no dice rolling thanks for the post now I know which one to try..
If you want to try it...I have not problem buying it and shipping it to you.

Unread 05/04/2012, 06:12 PM   #7
SmokedOut
Registered Member

I use ESV and it's a great salt but it is a task to make

Sent from my iPhone 4S
using Tapatalk

SmokedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2012, 06:24 PM   #8
acesq
Registered Member

Great salt at a great price. Jump all over that and don't look back. The extra mixing time and work is no big deal and what you get is clear water, no residue at all, with consistent, great parameters. I mix 15 - 20 gallons a week and have no complaints about the process or the product.

Unread 05/04/2012, 08:50 PM   #9
Nirvana
Registered Member

How hard is the mixing of it? Also do you have to be a rocket scientist for it or is it pretty easy, but time consuming?

Unread 05/07/2012, 05:07 PM   #10
acesq
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
How hard is the mixing of it? Also do you have to be a rocket scientist for it or is it pretty easy, but time consuming?
Very easy to mix. Just be sure to start with less water than you want to end up with (for a 15 gal. batch, I start with about 14 gallons of RO/DI), then after putting in the correct amount of each component (in my example, for a 15 gallon batch), add water to reach the salinity you want.

Unread 05/07/2012, 06:56 PM   #11
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
Great salt at a great price. Jump all over that and don't look back. The extra mixing time and work is no big deal and what you get is clear water, no residue at all, with consistent, great parameters. I mix 15 - 20 gallons a week and have no complaints about the process or the product.
^^That!!!

Wow, wish we could get that kind of deal. We're having a hard time even getting it lately, it's always backordered and the price has gone up a little too.

My boyfriend mixes it using a small digital kitchen scale to mix everything by weight. It mixes perfect every time, and we don't have to dose anything at all now (we were having trouble dosing, couldn't get it right). Once he did it a few times, it takes him as much time to mix as it took me to count scoops LOL. We don't even have to add extra water to get the salinity right, it's perfect every time once we calculated the correct weights for 14 gallons.

Current Tank Info: 55g softy/LPS tank & 20L reef tank
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote