Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/12/2018, 01:40 PM   #1
spivee
Registered Member

New to the Game - Fish Advice

Looking for advice on fish for my 55gallon mixed tank; fish and softies, LPS. Currently two OC Clowns, two Banggai Cardinals and a Midas Blenny along with cleanup crew. Want to add one or two more fish total. At least one good display fish.

Would love some advice/suggestions. I'd considered a hawkfish, but concerned about my inverts and shrimp, not to mention my corals.

Was considering a yellow tang, but worried about the size of the tank and agression. Also considering something like a fairy wrasse. Probably wouldn't do both of these; one or the other. If I did the tang, I'd think maybe something like a six line for the second fish.

More in-depth on my tank below:

I have a 55 gallon mixed tank I've had running since early January 2018. It's got about a 1.5" live sand bed and 50lbs of live rock. I put my first fish in mid February, two juvenile OC clowns. I also added some inverts; various hermits, snails, and an emerald crab. I also added a hammer coral and a short tentacled plate. I added two juvenile banggai cardinals and an adult midas blenny mid march as well as a few more corals (torch, colt, trumpet, acropora, and another plate).

Parameters have been good. I test regularly and do water changes pretty much weekly. I had a small snail die-off in march, but they're doing better now. I lost a miniature frogspawn, but everything else is doing well. The tank is pretty open with a good amount of swimming room for the fish.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aquarium-1 03-21-2018_sm.jpg (40.9 KB, 35 views)
spivee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 01:44 AM   #2
Abstract3000
Registered Member

A couple awesome fish to add that should do Ok with adequate hiding spots would be a Royal Gramma & Six Line Wrasse, both very docile, colorful, hardy, reef safe fish that require nothing more than daily feeding. Just keep in mind if you get the six line to do a little research in the future if you decide to add another wrasse.

Abstract3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 07:26 AM   #3
nereefpat
Registered Member

Hawkfish are great. Absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to corals. Shrimp may be eaten, but probably not. Lots of people successfully keep them with shrimp. The flame and longnose are the most popular.

The yellow tang, or any other species of tang, won't work because of tank size, as you mentioned.

A fairy wrasse is a great suggestion. You will want to think about covering the tank some how.

Six line wrasses always make the list of things people wish they wouldn't have added to the tank. Especially in a 55, it will become a problem.

The royal gramma is a good suggestion though.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 09:21 AM   #4
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract3000 View Post
Six Line Wrasse, both very docile,
Docile is not typically the word used to describe a 6 line

I'd nix the yellow tang idea, too small. A couple fairy or flasher wrasses would be perfect. There are numerous colorful smaller ones and they tend to be peaceful.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 10:12 AM   #5
spivee
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. My wife loves the Royal Gramma. Thanks for that suggestion. Definitely going there.

Will stay away from the Tang. Think I knew the answer before I asked, but needed somebody else to shoot it down.

Do you think it would be a problem to put in something like a Yellow Coris Wrasse and a Fairy/Flasher Wrasse in this size of tank? I want the yellow, wife likes the fish in the attached pic.(Trying to find out what kind that is. I know it's a wrasse of some kind.)

Might be willing to do three more fish (including the RG) if they're compatible. I know fish are often aggressive to similar fish, plus, they're both bigger. Don't want to stress these guys, my existing fish, or tank too much.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29270_400wh.jpg (26.6 KB, 14 views)
Unread 04/13/2018, 10:33 AM   #6
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

Mccoskers flasher wrasse I love them nice and peaceful and fits a 55 gallon perfectly

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 10:33 AM   #7
Cliving1
Registered Member

Skip the coris, you already have a yellow fish. I would do a wrasse and dwarf angel and call it a day

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 10:38 AM   #8
nereefpat
Registered Member

Gramma it is then.

I would pick one of the wrasses. You're starting to get a big list of fishes for a 55. The wrasse you pictured is a fairy wrasse of some kind. Definitely Cirrhilabrus genus...not sure of the specific.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 10:38 AM   #9
ssky
Registered Member

IMO, royal gramma and flasher wrasse. Remember, royal gramma is not a swimmer. Will stay close to the rocks and dart in out. Flasher on the other hand will be swimming all over the place.

ssky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 10:40 AM   #10
FoxFace Fish
Registered Member

i have both a royal Gramma and the flasher wrasse i mentioned and they are buds i always see them "playing" the wrasse actually protects the gramma from my damsel if it gets out of hand and besides the fox face the gramma and wrasse are my favorite fish without a doubt

Current Tank Info: Reason I am broke as a joke
FoxFace Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 04:10 PM   #11
spivee
Registered Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Definitely going to go for the Royal Gramma and one of the Wrasses. Will just have to see what I can find at the local LFS'. I just think (as nereefpat says above) that I need to avoid overcrowding the tank.

Really want to try to get something a bit flashy/active for the last fish. The clowns are nice, but they basically just hang out in one spot, same as the Banggai. The Blenny hides on his spot in the rock or lays against my overflow grate. He's got great character, but isn't too visible.

Appreciate all the help. You guys are awesome!

Unread 04/13/2018, 04:15 PM   #12
Bent
I got nothin'

I had 20 porcelain crabs.

I added a flame hawk.

I have 0 porcelain crabs.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 11:14 AM   #13
spivee
Registered Member

Just a quick update.I did get a Royal Gramma. Crawled into a hole and didn't come out for two days as far as I could tell. Not even to eat. Doing well now though. Teamed up with my Midas Blenny. Lots of character. likes to swim at a 45 degree angle which thew us for a day or two, but eats well, swims around a lot. Seems happy. Thanks for that suggestion.

Still haven't found a wrasse I want. LFS have very few wrasse. No rush. Going to wait to get what I want.

Unread 04/18/2018, 03:38 PM   #14
devimik
Registered Member

Royal Grammas can be shy at first, but usually stay out after they acclimate. Very cool and precise swimmers. The Wrasse pic you posted looks like a Yellow Flanked Fairy Wrasse, but those and others with the same body shape get about 5" and usually need a 75-90g tank. I agree with McCoskers Flasher, or any Flasher Wrasse would be good. Also the Mystery Wrasse if you can find one are cool.

Coral Beauty, Green Filefish, One Spot Foxface, Springeri Dottyback, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Flame Hawkfish, Spotted Mandarin

Current Tank Info: 90g Softie Reef, 150# live rock, 30g sump w/refugium, Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO, Octopus NWB 150 Skimmer, Mag 950 return, Maxspect 120w Razor 10K LED light X2, BRS Phosphate Reactor; Apex Lite
devimik is offline   Reply With Quote