Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/06/2012, 12:33 AM   #51
letter2no
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2minute View Post
LEDS HAVE full spectrum. They just peak at different wavelengths depending on for example: the type of white led you choose what bin color of that type.
PS: For those thinking LEDS i JUST got my DIY LED fixture running last night. I have pics posted in the album on my profile if you like.

S2minute :
This has got to be a first. I too, would VERY much like to know how this is possible. Something major in that setup must be exporting the nutrients other that the skimmer. It has to be the combination of skimmer and dsb/fuge?? He did say he was running a bio-ball reactor too right.

@S2minute.. yups.. i run with bio-ball reactor... in my opinion.. detritus or something else would filtered for the fist step in this reactor... before exported by protein skimmer.

You know your bio-ball reactor sounds very much like the ole school bio-ball wet/dry sumps that were all the rage in the 90's. I had one myself and was then sold on the concept BUT, later thay were discovered to be huge NO3 generators and good for fish only tanks.
However, you say you use it AS PART of an overall system. You must have some type of mesh in place before the water reaches the bio-balls? So, a mesh,*to be cleaned or replaced on a reg. basis then through the bio-ball chamber,(which would then generate lots of NO3), which the skimmer removes part of ...then all return to the DT and fuge where your clams and dsb get busy too. That's pretty cool because i have like over 15 gallons of bio-balls in storage.
So your DSB is 4 years old. My dsb is 6" and about 4 years old too. Some folks say that after 3 years a dsb gets to old and loaded with hvy metals and PO4 ect. Is that a concern for you? I built mine with 12 compartments so when/if i wanted to change it out i'd change one conpartment per month BUT, i've heard some people with DSBs that are over 15 y/o with no problems. I've also read in the book," Sand Bed Secerts" by Ron Shimek, and i gathered that their is NO reason to replace it. How do you feel about that? Have you noticed the way waste is being processed?
@S2minute...i'll try to answer based on my opinion.
my DIY bio ball reactor looks like wet/dry filtration. I choose this type because i realize that my main tank will produce more detritus or organic matter in water, so i decide to use bio-ball reactor combine with carbon-bacteria dosing.

About DSB, i think it still unsolved problem. One reefer say it would clogging in more than 4 years... but another reefer say i have 10 years old DSB and just still fine. In my opinion, I would not add more sand or replace the DSB...may be i would add more bacteria culture and dosing more carbonto my DSB. S2minute.. this is my opinion.....still could not find the real answer.

sump: 80x40x40 cm (Skimmer, Carbon, Bioball)

Current Tank Info: 150x60x60cm mix reef tank
letter2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 12:41 AM   #52
letter2no
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halmahera View Post
Congrats for the TOTM !
For those interested here is a video of the tank posted in our local forums
It's real
mr Rudi.. terima kasih.... thank you... still waiting for your new tank...it would be great tank...

Unread 06/06/2012, 12:53 AM   #53
letter2no
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IridescentLily View Post
Berfasar. Also, Do you find your trachyphyllia to be light sensitive?
My trachy starts bleaching at the drop of a hat. If i give all the corals more light, they grow and look good, but my trach radiata starts bleaching. So we put a screen over the top to keep trachy from bleaching, but all other corals in the tank suffer for it. But the trachy has gained back color and has even grown too large for my tank.
I don't know what to do with the light dilemma at this point.
@April.. yups trachy really sensitive to lighting. All my trachy and doughnut coral start belaching when i replace my power switching unit (PSU)to eaton apr 48. Old PSU could adjust the voltage of the led circuit, but eaton apr 48 couldnot be adjusted. in my opinion lps coral (trachy and doughnut coral) need moderate lighting (don't know how much PAR reading scale about moderate lighting). But when my led drive at 290-300mA trachy and doughnut really like the lighting in 24" depth of the tank.
if i put screen or i change the lamp high, sps would change the color to brown or pale color. in my opinion we should choose right corals for our lighting especially in mix reef tank. I still looking for perfect lighting until right now... this is my opinion April...

Unread 06/06/2012, 04:02 AM   #54
saltwatertanker
Registered Member

nice

saltwatertanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 07:06 AM   #55
Porgy Bait
Registered Member

Beautiful tank and breathtaking pictures. Nano please spill the beans and let us know what kind of camera setup you are using.

Porgy Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 07:45 AM   #56
Fernando Chang
Registered Member

Dear Letter2no !

Good day, thanks for yr reply and agree with yr comments to April about to choose the corals for the light you have in yr system. I will review my case as I like to keep a mixed reef tank with softs, lps and sps corals !
thanks again !

Regards
Fernando Chang
Panama

Current Tank Info: 60''L x 24''W x 27''H with a 75 glns sump with no sand nor caulerpa only water but containing: phosphate removal reactor, carbon reactor, biopelets chamber. Have installed P. Skimmer Octopus Super Reef EXT5000 , Chiller 1HP.
Fernando Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 08:44 AM   #57
BBRT
Registered Member

Awesome Tank, love the variety of fish and corals. not to mention the simplicity.

Can you tell us more about the GROMAX and ceramic rings, How long do you leave the rings in? Do you use those for frags? What is the GROMAX? thanks

Frag Tank: 40 gallon, 20 Gal sump, Radion LED, Reef D
BBRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 10:10 AM   #58
BigKodiak
Registered Member

Congrats on TOTM. Very nice setup.

Current Tank Info: 215 FOWLR... big plans coming if I can talk my wife into it!
BigKodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 10:39 AM   #59
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by letter2no View Post
@April.. yups trachy really sensitive to lighting. All my trachy and doughnut coral start belaching when i replace my power switching unit (PSU)to eaton apr 48. Old PSU could adjust the voltage of the led circuit, but eaton apr 48 couldnot be adjusted. in my opinion lps coral (trachy and doughnut coral) need moderate lighting (don't know how much PAR reading scale about moderate lighting). But when my led drive at 290-300mA trachy and doughnut really like the lighting in 24" depth of the tank.
if i put screen or i change the lamp high, sps would change the color to brown or pale color. in my opinion we should choose right corals for our lighting especially in mix reef tank. I still looking for perfect lighting until right now... this is my opinion April...
Thanks Nano

Unread 06/06/2012, 11:31 AM   #60
MBIETZ
Registered Member

Congrats your tank is sweet your big clam is awesome!!

MBIETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 11:54 AM   #61
smartandfast
Registered Member

Wow congrats. Very natural looking tank

smartandfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 11:58 AM   #62
moshi1ry
Registered Member

One more question for you and thanks for answering my previous ones letter2no! How long have you had those gonipora for? I have a green flower pot for about 6 months and everyone says if u get past a year you have done something. you would think in your tank since you dont change the water your gonipora would have a higher chance of living. Your thoughts?

moshi1ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 02:27 PM   #63
letter2no
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwatertanker View Post
nice
@saltwatertanker..... thank you

Quote:
Porgy Bait : Beautiful tank and breathtaking pictures. Nano please spill the beans and let us know what kind of camera setup you are using.
@Porgy bait... Thank you for your compliment. My friend (Rocky) use Canon d5000 and Canon ixus 115hs with underwater housing.

@Fernando Chang... i can not wait for your tank pic with new lighting...

Quote:
BBRT : Awesome Tank, love the variety of fish and corals. not to mention the simplicity.

Can you tell us more about the GROMAX and ceramic rings, How long do you leave the rings in? Do you use those for frags? What is the GROMAX? thanks
@BBRT... thank you.. Gromax or ceramic rings are the place for bacteria. in Carlinhos thread, he use SERA SIPORAX. it is just similar with Siporax. Siporax in my country more expensive than gromax. So, i decide to apply Gromax in my filtration system. This is the site that inform GROMAX, but looks like i found in bahasa indonesia not in English language. http://www.gromax.co.id/

Quote:
BigKodiak : Congrats on TOTM. Very nice setup.
@BigKodiak... thank you..

@April....

Quote:
MBIETZ : Congrats your tank is sweet your big clam is awesome!!
Quote:
smartandfast : Wow congrats. Very natural looking tank
@MBIETZ and @smartandfast.... thank you for your compliment

Quote:
moshi1ry : One more question for you and thanks for answering my previous ones letter2no! How long have you had those gonipora for? I have a green flower pot for about 6 months and everyone says if u get past a year you have done something. you would think in your tank since you dont change the water your gonipora would have a higher chance of living. Your thoughts?
@moshi1ry.... maybe 13 month, i do not do something. i never feed the coral. in my opinion red goniopora would photosynthesizes like another corals. I just add lighting system to support it (moderate lighting with random flow). I just make everything easy and simple...

Unread 06/06/2012, 03:49 PM   #64
joao junior
Registered Member

Congratulations nano,wheh you say rowa phos DIY in setup aquarium,can you explain?thanks.

joao junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 03:57 PM   #65
IOWAFISH
Registered Member

Beautiful tank, Nano. Incredible specimens -- every single one. Fabulous.

...and since no one else has said it yet: love the encrusted Mag Float. Nice touch!

Coming back from hiatus; 75gl reef in planning stage.
IOWAFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 04:04 PM   #66
fazilosman
Registered Member

INCREDIBLE... congrats... btw I loved visiting Jakarta last year. Great country.

fazilosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 06:15 PM   #67
Amiehb
Registered Member

wow! this tank is just amazing!!!!

Amiehb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 09:40 PM   #68
rfrain01
Registered Member

Great tank!

rfrain01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 10:39 PM   #69
BrownPoseidon
Registered Member

Letter2no is a damn genius. What country are you from?? They raise geniuses in that country

BrownPoseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2012, 10:44 PM   #70
BrownPoseidon
Registered Member

Whoa whoa whoa whoa.... im sorry to post so much but are those Goniaporas swaying in the breeze??!!?? Have your specimens been alive for more than a year and a half?? Have they shown any skeletal or tissue growth??

BrownPoseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2012, 12:44 AM   #71
letter2no
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joao junior View Post
Congratulations nano,wheh you say rowa phos DIY in setup aquarium,can you explain?thanks.
@joao junior: Thank you for your compliment... ehmmm this is my DIY 4" PVC protein skimmer. i just add bio-ball in to skimmer. just simple like that.

Quote:
IOWAFISH Beautiful tank, Nano. Incredible specimens -- every single one. Fabulous.

...and since no one else has said it yet: love the encrusted Mag Float. Nice touch!
@IOWAFISH...thank you for your compliment... hehehe that's my red polip chypastrea

Quote:
fazilosman INCREDIBLE... congrats... btw I loved visiting Jakarta last year. Great country.
@fazilosman.... thank you.... There are another beautiful places in my country ... Bali.. Komodo island.... Raja Ampat... Bunaken... Jogjakarta... Toba Lake in Medan....etc.. Have you visit that place?

Quote:
Amiehb : wow! this tank is just amazing!!!!
Quote:
alimuhana : Jokes tank
Quote:
rfrain01 Great tank!
@Amienhb..@alimuhana...@rfrain01... thank you

Quote:
BrownPoseidon Letter2no is a damn genius. What country are you from?? They raise geniuses in that country
Quote:
BrownPoseidon Whoa whoa whoa whoa.... im sorry to post so much but are those Goniaporas swaying in the breeze??!!?? Have your specimens been alive for more than a year and a half?? Have they shown any skeletal or tissue growth??
@BrownPoseidon... hehehe I come from Indonesia....
yups, they have shown skeletal and tissue growth..

Unread 06/07/2012, 08:41 AM   #72
Maxiusg
Registered Member

Hi Nano, congratulations on achieving Tank Of The Month status. Your aquarium setup is beautiful and awe inspiring. The pipe in the top of your DIY skimmer/bioball reactor, is that the feed from your display tank? Do you have a tank build thread?!!!

Maxiusg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2012, 10:03 AM   #73
PetzRKidz2
Registered Member

Much deserved recognition! Gorgeous lil piece of the ocean!

PetzRKidz2 ~ Pat
Nature provides exceptions to every rule.

PetzRKidz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2012, 10:31 AM   #74
ronald7410
Registered Member

What do you have for flow?

Unread 06/07/2012, 02:59 PM   #75
jbonez
SALT LIFE

sweet reef.....

Current Tank Info: 75GL MIXED REEF|40B FRAG LIGHTING -4ft DIY 120 3W CREE LEDS ROYAL BLUES & COOL WHITES| FLOW-vortech mp40 | BRS HC GFO TLF REACTOR W/COBOLT MJ600| REEF OCTOPUS BH90 SKIMMER| TUNZE OSMOLATOR 3155 ATO W/MAGNETS|REEF KEEPER ELITE.
jbonez is offline   Reply With Quote