Whiskylen
Registered Member

I just pulled the trigger on the V4 can't wait to get it over my tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 11:00 AM   #52
gdemos
Registered Member

I remain very happy with the V4 Compacts as a primary lightsource, supplemented by my T5s.

Connectivity: The mobile app/connectivity is bare bones and I'm non-techy but have had issues with consistent connectivity by the orphek 'gateway'. I haven't had a clear answer from Orphek to provide a reason, but it may have somehting to do with my home Network (eero network). not sure. so far this is the only real draw back. As is, i cannot always connect to my lights with the app.

Light build quality: excellent
Lighting of tank: excellent, T5 to supplement in cases of large acros/shading. i really like the dynamic, contrast and visual appeal of coral colors and tank appearance

Hanging kit: okay, i'm in a canopy so not starring at the hangers, they work but if over an open tank i'd work on something to get the hanging rig prettier (alum rail, etc.)

just a couple weeks in, so far all Acros seem happy!

gdemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2018, 10:38 PM   #53
Whiskylen
Registered Member

My v4 came today and I'm really happy with my purchase. Connecting the gateway took a little work as I downloaded the newest app which didn't work. When I tried the older app it connected right away and things were a breeze. It's late so I only played with a few settings but the colors on my corals so far are amazing I can't wait to see how it looks tommorw

Unread 03/24/2018, 05:55 AM   #54
gdemos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskylen View Post
My v4 came today and I'm really happy with my purchase. Connecting the gateway took a little work as I downloaded the newest app which didn't work. When I tried the older app it connected right away and things were a breeze. It's late so I only played with a few settings but the colors on my corals so far are amazing I can't wait to see how it looks tommorw

Interesting that the new app wouldnt work for u i have same problem. The old app, lights show up as “light[null]”. New app cant find lights consistently, more often than not when i look at app they’re not found. “Tech support “ says they see them when logged to my gateway and seem to suggest it’s something with my network

Let me know how you make out

Unread 03/24/2018, 10:34 AM   #55
Whiskylen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdemos View Post
Interesting that the new app wouldnt work for u i have same problem. The old app, lights show up as “light[null]”. New app cant find lights consistently, more often than not when i look at app they’re not found. “Tech support “ says they see them when logged to my gateway and seem to suggest it’s something with my network

Let me know how you make out

Old app is working fine for me so I'm not even going to try the new one (not sure what it adds and it is only a month old so I'll let them work the bugs out).

So far I'm very pleased, I bought this to replace a sbreef that was producing to much of a hot spot in the middle. I have a shallow tank 7" tall and I want to grow sps though the whole thing so I needed even par over the whole tank. I was seriously considering t5's as most higher end led options have very uneven par distribution at the 6" range due to their puck style led setup. My other option was multiple kessils 360we's or radion x15w's mounted very high to even out the par.

This shallow tank is a temporary tank and will eventually be replaced with a 36"x24" x 18" tall rimless tank so I wanted something that would work over that tank when I got it later this year.

After pulling out the par meter I'm very happy at 12" above the tank and 25% power I have an even 200 par over every part of the 24"x12" tank. I will slowly ramp up to 33% which was showing about 280 par over the whole tank I took these readings at about 5" which is where most of my sps are mounted.

This even par means almost double the available space in my tank for frags which means WWC will be getting an order soon

Unread 03/25/2018, 07:23 PM   #56
Sbw1985
Registered Member

I just finally bought two Orphek Atlantik v4 compacts over a 90 gallon. This is a new setup so there is no fish or anything only a week old but I’m hoping the Orphek does its job looks great so far this is full spec. 10k mode at 12 inches over the water line.

Sbw1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 07:16 AM   #57
Wally.B
Registered Member

Tagging along.

I did get a Orphek loaner/trial as a possible Candidate for a new Tank setup, however I backed off since not ready to make the Leap to Full LED lighting quite yet. Went with Full T5 for the next while as safest bet.

It was an impressive Solid Built panel. I could tell the light packed quite of bit of Sun Power. The Control app was so-so, but I could see potential with future improvements (like hinted Apex Fusion).

Looking forward to seeing actual results in a running tank. Especially a dominant SPS tank.

The Orphek was my top choice if I was going to do LED.

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/13/2018, 10:57 PM   #58
Sbw1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Tagging along.

I did get a Orphek loaner/trial as a possible Candidate for a new Tank setup, however I backed off since not ready to make the Leap to Full LED lighting quite yet. Went with Full T5 for the next while as safest bet.

It was an impressive Solid Built panel. I could tell the light packed quite of bit of Sun Power. The Control app was so-so, but I could see potential with future improvements (like hinted Apex Fusion).

Looking forward to seeing actual results in a running tank. Especially a dominant SPS tank.

I agree the app is ok Iv had my ups and downs with it , the lights are working great so far zero issues and everything is looking great so far. Yes the apex compatibility would be awesome to see in an update

Unread 04/17/2018, 02:04 PM   #59
The Bean
Registered Member

Week 6 of the new orphek v4.....my tank has gone from strength to strength!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/at...1&d=1523995360

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30629405_572502949785251_4903255804666183680_n.jpg (106.4 KB, 146 views)
The Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 02:05 PM   #60
The Bean
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/at...1&d=1523995535

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 30656629_572503063118573_7559578590593941504_n.jpg (108.1 KB, 117 views)
Unread 04/17/2018, 05:07 PM   #61
reefmutt
Registered Member

Looking good!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 06:37 PM   #62
gdemos
Registered Member

I gotta be brutally honest here
The lights have a nice look in the tank and corals do well
HOWEVER; if you are like me and struggle with internet, technology etc and expect to pick up the phone and get support on your stuff....then stay away from these lights

At best you will get emails only from hong king. There is no phone support and you will get email responses but it is a battle to get real help

Second, the gateway and app is at best occasionally functional.

My AI Hydra are plug and play and you can call folks in Iowa to help you

The orphek is plug and pray

I have witnessed my orpheks change color and turn off on their own with no explanation

The app is tedious and less than optimal.

Unread 04/18/2018, 08:00 PM   #63
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
HOWEVER; if you are like me and struggle with internet, technology etc and expect to pick up the phone and get support on your stuff....then stay away from these lights

At best you will get emails only from hong king. There is no phone support and you will get email responses but it is a battle to get real help

I have witnessed my orpheks change color and turn off on their own with no explanation

Food for thought... thanks!
I adore my AI Primes for their ease of use.. and I am like you so I would not go for the orpheks until they have perfected the interfece

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2018, 08:29 PM   #64
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:

I'll agree. I brought one home for a trial. It's a solid beautiful looking Fixture.
But the gateway wasn't working, so it sat there pulsing (blinding) endlessly on my desk (I got spots in my eyes trying to get it to work).
Too bad since I wanted to see the lights working over my tank.
Support was also weird, was told to talk to sales, but sales really wasn't technical enough.
But that failure on reliability, and the limited badly written app turned me off so much I didn't take a 2nd unit that was offered to trial.
Hope they put in the time an effort to fix Reliability and Control, since I'd consider the light again.
Again, if they integrated with Apex control, which would bring all your schedules and setting into one place. That would work for me.
But would have to be 100% reliable.

Unread 04/18/2018, 08:41 PM   #65
gdemos
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll agree. I brought one home for a trial. It's a solid beautiful looking Fixture.

But the gateway wasn't working, so it sat there pulsing (blinding) endlessly on my desk (I got spots in my eyes trying to get it to work).

Too bad since I wanted to see the lights working over my tank.

Support was also weird, was told to talk to sales, but sales really wasn't technical enough.

But that failure on reliability, and the limited badly written app turned me off so much I didn't take a 2nd unit that was offered to trial.

Hope they put in the time an effort to fix Reliability and Control, since I'd consider the light again.

Again, if they integrated with Apex control, which would bring all your schedules and setting into one place. That would work for me.

But would have to be 100% reliable.

I spent the past several hours in back and forth emails with HongKong with no result. Emailing me files I cannot open that i am supposed to add to flash drive and then to the gateway. This is to make the gateway “wireless”. No such luck.

BRS carries their stuff (often out of stock) so buy from them if you do as you’re far more likely to get brs to wrangle tech support

I bought direct from orphek and got lights 3 months later - small batch production for sure.

Now running these lights for several months (2 v4 compacts plus two gmann razors total of 4 54w 48” t5s). Fixtures are 14” above waterline on 48X24x24 120g acro tank. Honestly a good amount of shading and a 3rd orphek would not be overkill.

Heres quick pic taken now

Unread 04/18/2018, 08:51 PM   #66
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
I spent the past several hours in back and forth emails with HongKong with no result. Emailing me files I cannot open that i am supposed to add to flash drive and then to the gateway. This is to make the gateway “wireless”. No such luck.

BRS carries their stuff (often out of stock) so buy from them if you do as you’re far more likely to get brs to wrangle tech support

I bought direct from orphek and got lights 3 months later - small batch production for sure.

Now running these lights for several months (2 v4 compacts plus two gmann razors total of 4 54w 48” t5s). Fixtures are 14” above waterline on 48X24x24 120g acro tank. Honestly a good amount of shading and a 3rd orphek would not be overkill.

Heres quick pic taken now[/IMG]
Colors look great. Wish I could have seen it running over my tank.
I really wondered what the Color Blending would look like.
The little it turned on (pulsing), I could see multi color spots on ceiling, and that concerned me.
Maybe all Point LED's have that effect.
But the lenses on the Orphek Impressed me (I so thought blending would be better than other choices), since Not really Puck Lights, but a Full panel of LEDS with Lenses to help blend.

Unread 04/19/2018, 06:28 AM   #67
Whiskylen
Registered Member

I've had mine over my tank for 3 weeks now and colors are great with no disco ball effect at all.

As for the app and gateway I never got the new app to work but the old one worked like a charm it connected right up with my gateway and light and has been a breeze to use (knocking on wood as I type this) I do have an iPhone so I don't know if android is different. The gateway/app/light have also not lost connection over the three weeks it's ran so that is already better than my reeflink which I have to restart once or twice a week

Unread 04/25/2018, 12:13 PM   #68
The Bean
Registered Member

They cocked my lights up by fitting the wrong wifi module in one unit so one wouldn't connect. I messaged them through FB and got a response within minutes on a Sunday....they talked me through the situations and found the problem, they shipped me a new module and apologised profusely....to be honest I have had some problems with a few well known manufactures in the Aquarium industry. The customer service I received from Orphek has been some of the best I have received from any Aquarium Manufacturer. I wouldn't worry about customer service if you can read and send emails happy days (no belittling intended).

Unread 04/27/2018, 06:21 PM   #69
Sbw1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Tagging along.

I agree the app is ok Iv had my ups and downs with it , the lights are working great so far zero issues and everything is looking great so far. Yes the apex compatibility would be awesome to see in an update

You can email this guy directly emails back fast works for orphek

james@orphek.com

Unread 05/02/2018, 04:04 PM   #70
The Bean
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/at...1&d=1525298635

My SPS hate them

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7235.jpg (71.3 KB, 165 views)
Unread 05/02/2018, 04:11 PM   #71
The Bean
Registered Member

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/at...1&d=1525299035

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7211.jpg (58.3 KB, 166 views)
Unread 07/08/2018, 04:55 PM   #72
DubleD
Registered Member

Hello, one Atlantic V4 can be enough over 40x27x27 mixed reef tank??Thanks

DubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2018, 10:09 AM   #73
Sbw1985
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubleD View Post
Hello, one Atlantic V4 can be enough over 40x27x27 mixed reef tank??Thanks

The Atlantic v4 normal size is rated for up to 48 inches wide should be ok but depends what your going for why I ended up with two compact v4 lights

Unread 01/23/2020, 11:10 PM   #74
laverda
Registered Member

I am thinking about getting some of these lights. Have they improved the app? What would you guys use on a 90”x24”x30” deep tank?

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2020, 08:11 AM   #75
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laverda View Post
I am thinking about getting some of these lights. Have they improved the app? What would you guys use on a 90”x24”x30” deep tank?

Steve, Tony in Irvine is running these. I’m sure he’d let you take a look.