Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2020, 01:01 PM   #1
Frost_Hydra
Registered Member

How to keep a healthy BTA from splitting?

I keep seeing these enormous BTA's (picture below) being sold on Live Aquaria. I have no idea how they get their BTAs so large without splitting. My BTA pretty much split when it doubled in size from when I originally purchased it. And I've heard they split whenever they get sufficient mass to do so for the sake of reproduction. Is there anyway to keep a perfectly healthy BTA to keep growing instead of splitting? is there some trick with water chemistry or is it just down to pure luck.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg th-081120-005a.jpg (17.8 KB, 28 views)
Frost_Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2020, 02:22 PM   #2
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I had a different anemone, but when I started feeding it larger amounts and more often, it got much bigger.

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2020, 03:51 PM   #3
Misled
RC Mod

I agree with feeding as Michael said above. The other things are keeping it happy. Med flow, good lighting and very good water quality. One of the big reasons nems split is stress. Keep them happy.

Unread 08/25/2020, 05:56 PM   #4
Jeffatpm
Registered Member

a friend of mine has a lot and they split but they seem to stay close together so they look like one big anemone.

Jeffatpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/26/2020, 07:38 AM   #5
Timfish
Registered Member

It's really up to the BTA. One of the things I've seen over the years is a clone line can start splitting at a quicker rate and consequently stay smaller. Also, don't feel you need to feed them. They're pulling nitrogen (ammonia and urea) and phosphates out of the water so making sure you're feeding your fish adequitely is more important IMO.