Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/14/2008, 08:19 AM   #1
DeathWish302
Clown Hoarder

Question Randy's DIY Refractometer Calibration Fluid - Kosher Salt OK?

I have seen Randy's recipe for calibration fluid for a refractometer in I believe Reefkeeping Mag. In this article he stated he used 6.2g of Morton salt. I have Kosher salt already (not iodized) and would prefer to use this instead of buying more. Any problems with this substitution? Due to crystal size/shape differences, I will measure this in the Materials Lab at work so that the correct weight is used.

Thanks,
DW302

DeathWish302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

That will be fine DW, as long as you are going to measure it out as you stated Kosher not only does not contain any Iodine but also none of the Sodium ferrocyanide, which is a free-flow agent. STD lab grade cal solutions use Kosher more or less, pure NaCl.

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2008, 01:23 PM   #3
DeathWish302
Clown Hoarder

Thanks Boomer!

I thought the lack of anti-caking agents and iodine would be better, but was uncertain if Randy accounted for these in his calculations for the proper proportions.

DW302

Unread 04/14/2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Randy Holmes-Farley
Reef Chemist

No, I did not specifically take them into account.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef
Randy Holmes-Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2008, 09:56 PM   #5
DeathWish302
Clown Hoarder

Randy - The DIY solution worked out fine and it appears is as good as the high dollar stuff we have at work. I cannot mention the company due to internal issues at the moment, but we are a tier 2 automotive company that uses salt spray testing. The guys in the test lab were surprised their "ASTM-certified" calibration fluid read very similiar results as your recipe for the DIY fluid. Cost me $1.69 for the 1L of Diet Dew, purified water = free from the lab, and the kosher salt I had. Not bad for less than $2 and 25 minutes out of my cube dungeon.

Thanks for the article.

Frank

Unread 04/16/2008, 10:55 PM   #6
reef_doug
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
That will be fine DW, as long as you are going to measure it out as you stated Kosher not only does not contain any Iodine but also none of the Sodium ferrocyanide, which is a free-flow agent. STD lab grade cal solutions use Kosher more or less, pure NaCl.
FWIW... I remember Morton Kosher having more sodium per measuring cup than Diamond Crystal Kosher. Would this impact the volumes in the DIY recipie?

Current Tank Info: 180r SoCal Creations, 75g SCC1M Sump, WM EcoBAK, NextReef SMR1, TropicMarin Salt, ACIII, 3x250w HQI Phoenix 14k, 2x140w Super Actinics, ATi BM250, Eheim 1262, Tunze 2x6100+7095, Tunze Osmolator, 6 stage RODI w/ Spectrapure MaxCap
reef_doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2008, 11:32 PM   #7
Boomer
Bomb Technician (EOD)

Volume yes Doug but not weight Justy take some to the drug store and have them make-up a 3.65 % solution.

963.5 mL RO/DI and 36.5 grams of Kosher

Then cal the refract to read 35 ppt or 1.0264 with this solution.

Or just go buy some Pinpiont 53 mS and the same, cal to read 1.0264 or 35 ppt

Seawater Chemistry, Geology, ID Marine Life, Collecting Science Books, Explosives Technology, Audiophile

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 12:19 AM   #8
32flavors
Registered Member

I work at a clinic with its own lab and could have them weigh out the salt for me. Anyone have the link to Randy's recipe?

"Inside of me there are 2 dogs. 1 of the dogs is mean & evil. The other is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." "Which dog wins?" "The one I feed the most." Native Amer

Current Tank Info: Have had several- nano, 25, 65 & 75. Currently have Evo 13.5 and 40B, both mixed reefs.
32flavors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 12:02 PM   #9
hkgar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32flavors View Post
I work at a clinic with its own lab and could have them weigh out the salt for me. Anyone have the link to Randy's recipe?
I like your native American story. I may borrow it from time to time, if you do not mind.

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 03:12 PM   #10
bertoni
RC Mod

This recipe is from Millero:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-11/rhf/index.php#21

It should be fine.

Unread 10/22/2017, 06:48 PM   #11
32flavors
Registered Member

Thank you!

"Inside of me there are 2 dogs. 1 of the dogs is mean & evil. The other is good. The mean dog fights the good dog all the time." "Which dog wins?" "The one I feed the most." Native Amer

Current Tank Info: Have had several- nano, 25, 65 & 75. Currently have Evo 13.5 and 40B, both mixed reefs.
32flavors is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 09:55 PM   #12
bertoni
RC Mod

You're welcome!