Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/04/2010, 08:22 AM   #51
doca
Registered Member

camel schirmp its a good option for AEFW, but once their works ends, one need to get it out of the tank....

doca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2010, 01:30 AM   #52
LooseHip
Foaming Conehead

I am sure this has been answered, but do AEFW's affect only smooth skinned acropora, or can the also affect other sps such as pocillipora, and millepora?

LooseHip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2010, 04:27 AM   #53
eros
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doca View Post
i cant believe my eyes.....

2 hobbyist, 2 tanks, both with tons of redbugs...suddenly, in 1 nigth, no more redbugs....

only thing in common???....both in the same city, in the same neighborhood...and a very cold nigth, with 70 F degrees or less in both tanks...

no other thing has changed...but we both are pretty sure thats no more adult redbugs at least by now (the eggs could be alive)...

its very possible...finally, are only bad copepods....what do u think????
Put me down as one more who's experienced this. I did a tank transfer from Central California to Reno, Nevada(in the snow). My rock was in a trailer and probably got down to around 50 degrees or less. My corals were in insulated containers but still were pretty cold after the 3 hour car ride. I planned on treating for redbugs after the tank transfer so I could separate my inverts like my cleaner shrimp. I've looked very closely and even the most infected corals I had have absolutely no redbugs anymore. Before I could see them with my naked eye, I've tried looking at them under a powerful magnifying glass and I don't see anything. I'm still going to keep an eye out and won't be surprised if they pop up again but for now I'm not going to treat my tank.

eros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2010, 08:27 AM   #54
chingchai
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseHip View Post
I am sure this has been answered, but do AEFW's affect only smooth skinned acropora, or can the also affect other sps such as pocillipora, and millepora?
only smooth skinned acropora.

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2010, 08:29 AM   #55
chingchai
Premium Member

Great thread.
Thank you guys.

chingchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2010, 09:50 AM   #56
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Quote:
they will affect all arcos and arcos only. millies where some of the first that were affected when i had them.

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2010, 09:53 AM   #57
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chingchai View Post
only smooth skinned acropora.
This is not true, as Brian mentioned, I have found AEFW on milleporas and prostrats in the past. I have never had a pocillipora so I can not confirm or deny that one.

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2010, 10:00 AM   #58
Dejavu
ReefKeeping Mag staff

When i treated, I removed acros and acros only. I left all other sps in the display. It been 5 yrs and no AEFW in sight. I have confidence that they only affect acros.

Current Tank Info: 270 Starphire by Miracles in Glass*BK 250 Internal*Sequence Blackfin 1800*(2) 6105 Tunzes Streams*(3) 400 watt Blueline E-Ballast*400w 20k Radiums*(3) Lumanarc III*GEO 624 Ca Reactor*Tunze Osmolotor*PM SR45 and TLF PhosBan Reactor 150*Apex
Dejavu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2010, 03:12 PM   #59
cich4fish
Registered Member

interceptor effects

What will happen to my clams if I dose my tank with interceptor?

Eric

cich4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2010, 05:11 PM   #60
mpoletti
You'll never walk alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cich4fish View Post
What will happen to my clams if I dose my tank with interceptor?

Eric
Nothing. They will be fine.

c.) Why chase numbers?
#CoralsLiketoDisco #ReefSerenity
mpoletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2010, 05:41 PM   #61
cich4fish
Registered Member

Thanks.

cich4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2010, 08:05 AM   #62
TheGreekReefer
Moved On

I would like to add the Eunicid Worm as a sps pest. This guy was eating my expensive acros

TheGreekReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/16/2010, 08:07 AM   #63
TheGreekReefer
Moved On

I got mine out yesterday. Traps do not work. Steve Weast from the Oregon Reef told me traps are a waste of time. Steve pulled two worms out of his tank, one was 5ft and the other 7ft. OMG He told me there tail usually doesn't leave the burrow. Only way to remove it is to find the rock it burrows in and remove the rock. Thank you Steve. I know it sucks but trust me well worth it. These worms can grow very large, mine started eating expensive acros. Not cool. We as reefers put all this time, energy, and money into creating an environment that will support these beatiful acropora not create gourmet meals for a worm.

Here is how you do it. Stake out the tank at night with a red flash light. I used a red flashlight and a couple of clip-on desk lamps with red bulbs in them. Light the tank up nice and good. It took me several nights to find its home. Be patient.

Now do what you have to do to get the rock out. Me I had to cut coral that had fused the rock in place. Pull the rock out, please use gloves, us a syringe and inject Club Soda into it's lair. LeslieH works at The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles. She is an expert in worms you can find her here on Reef Central. She told me to use club soda and boy does it work. After a few injections into the hole it crawled out of there fairly quickly. Thank you Leslie.

After he crawled out I started to inspect the rock to make sure it was safe to put back in. I saw another one. *** I injected more club soda in and kind of pushed it out. When it dropped out I noticed it didn't have a head. I couldn't believe it. It left its tail behind to regenerate into a new worm. What an incredible survival mechanism.

Everyone who has one remove it. They might be harmless at first but as they get older their appetite changes and they start munching on coral. Trust me you want no parts of this. Get it out as soon as possible.

Here it is

Close up of its face

Unread 01/17/2010, 10:50 AM   #64
kevins72chevy
Registered Member

man i got crabs or bugs too what works the best

kevins72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2010, 08:12 PM   #65
v1...rotate
A Reef In The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreekReefer View Post
I got mine out yesterday. Traps do not work. Steve Weast from the Oregon Reef told me traps are a waste of time. Steve pulled two worms out of his tank, one was 5ft and the other 7ft. OMG He told me there tail usually doesn't leave the burrow. Only way to remove it is to find the rock it burrows in and remove the rock. Thank you Steve. I know it sucks but trust me well worth it. These worms can grow very large, mine started eating expensive acros. Not cool. We as reefers put all this time, energy, and money into creating an environment that will support these beatiful acropora not create gourmet meals for a worm.

Here is how you do it. Stake out the tank at night with a red flash light. I used a red flashlight and a couple of clip-on desk lamps with red bulbs in them. Light the tank up nice and good. It took me several nights to find its home. Be patient.

Now do what you have to do to get the rock out. Me I had to cut coral that had fused the rock in place. Pull the rock out, please use gloves, us a syringe and inject Club Soda into it's lair. LeslieH works at The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles. She is an expert in worms you can find her here on Reef Central. She told me to use club soda and boy does it work. After a few injections into the hole it crawled out of there fairly quickly. Thank you Leslie.

After he crawled out I started to inspect the rock to make sure it was safe to put back in. I saw another one. *** I injected more club soda in and kind of pushed it out. When it dropped out I noticed it didn't have a head. I couldn't believe it. It left its tail behind to regenerate into a new worm. What an incredible survival mechanism.

Everyone who has one remove it. They might be harmless at first but as they get older their appetite changes and they start munching on coral. Trust me you want no parts of this. Get it out as soon as possible.

Here it is

Close up of its face

Fascinating!! How are they introduced into the aquarium, via live rock or corals?

Zeovit Featured Tank 2012
Reef Central TOTM Nov 2013
Reef Hobbyist Magazine Featured Tank 2015

Current Tank Info: 'A Reef in the Sky'
v1...rotate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2010, 08:06 PM   #66
TheGreekReefer
Moved On

My best guess is that it came in on live rock

Unread 01/23/2010, 11:29 AM   #67
dan223
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkeenreefer View Post
I would like to add a pic of a "critter" I found today that was one of three that I removed from an Acro frag that had been loosing tissue over the last 4-5 weeks the loss was rapid to start, then seemed to slow ( at this slowing point I had moved the frag to the bottom of the tank away from the 250w ) I'm not sure if its relevent [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG] I was unable to take better pics of it , but to describe it ,it had a pointy clear tail almost the same lenth as its body which was a transperant darkish brown with darker parts to the head and tail reigion.
the drill bit is for refference it was a 5/64ths

It I belive has been feeding on the acro for over a month now does anyone know what this is. Oh no other Acro frags show signs of damaged tissue
Ive seen these on 2 acro's 1 oregon tort that was slowly going downhill. When I checked the corals out after lights were out these bugs were cruizing around the 2 acros that were dying. Ive seen a couple other posts from people regarding them but no one seems to know exactly what they are. I tried to get a pic and couldnt they are so small. Its hard to see in your pic, but your description of them is dead on.

dan223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2010, 11:51 PM   #68
tonyf
Registered Member

That critter is just a little 'pod eating the dead tissue.

Tone

Current Tank Info: 500 gal reef
tonyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2010, 12:58 AM   #69
shelburn61
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpoletti View Post
Another thing to remember is that just because your tank might be infested, it is not the end of the world. There are plenty of people that have moved beyond the days of worrying about pests to have successful reef tanks. There are also plenty of stunning tanks that just live with them in their systems. Many people use "the basting menthod" where they use a turkey baster or powerhead to blow the pests (especially aefw) off the corals.
This methods helps to manage their numbers and allows the coral to continue to thrive. The basting method, along with natural predation (wrasses and such) does work and many say that they have not seen any evidence after a period of time. Some of my favorite tanks are still currently using this method.
I just realized today that I have AEFW. So glad to read this b/c I don't have the time or space for a full eradication plan. I'm hoping can keep the population near zero with dips and some wrasses.

What's the best med to reduce numbers in the display? Fluke tabs? Anyone tried Prazi-pro (praziquantel)?

Last edited by shelburn61; 02/01/2010 at 01:05 AM.
shelburn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2010, 09:34 AM   #70
justins13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelburn61 View Post
I just realized today that I have AEFW. So glad to read this b/c I don't have the time or space for a full eradication plan. I'm hoping can keep the population near zero with dips and some wrasses.

What's the best med to reduce numbers in the display? Fluke tabs? Anyone tried Prazi-pro (praziquantel)?
So this wouldn't have been a problem for a healthy coral? Or the healthy tissue left on that coral?

justins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2010, 09:38 AM   #71
justins13
Registered Member

How can you tell the difference between AEFW and regular flat worms?

justins13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2010, 11:15 AM   #72
colgan10
Registered Member

Please help me figure out a way to save this cap, I have other monti in the tank so i know it's only a matter of time before i see them on the others as well, any advice on some natural predators just to keep the numbers in check?

colgan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2010, 03:10 PM   #73
bdbyace28
Registered Member

i just had a bleaching outbreak and am wondering if one of these pests could have had something to do with it. Ill have to take a much closer look it appears

Current Tank Info: 265 total tank volume(200g main, 65g frag, custom 25g sump and 25g fuge). 3x 400w Hamilton Radium 20K, Bubble Magus 220CS, Poseidon O3, Heavily stocked mixed reef, and avid tang lover
bdbyace28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2010, 03:16 PM   #74
bdbyace28
Registered Member

what types of wrasses would help with some of these pests?

Current Tank Info: 265 total tank volume(200g main, 65g frag, custom 25g sump and 25g fuge). 3x 400w Hamilton Radium 20K, Bubble Magus 220CS, Poseidon O3, Heavily stocked mixed reef, and avid tang lover
bdbyace28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2010, 02:39 PM   #75
niffer
Registered Member

I recently discovered AEFW's
did not know why mys sps's were suffering, until i hit on these threads, but I have had all of the symptoms for months. I can now tell why my Neon Pseudochromis and striped Pseudochromis are the fattest and happiest pseudo's in the state. They must have been munching away, and keeping them in check.
I have now added a six line wrasse and a fairy wrasse. The addition of the new fish must be decreasing the flatworm load, because my corals are coloring back up. Also my to pseudochromis are out and actively hunting more- they must have to try harder with the new fish competing for worms.

When i think the worm load is at a minimum, i am thinking about dosing with Fluke out medicine.

niffer is offline   Reply With Quote