Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/18/2018, 06:42 PM   #1
jpas
Registered Member

360 Gallon Reef Build

Hey Guys,

I have been wanting to build a large reef tank for a few years now but other things have always taken priority.

Well I finally decided to move forward with it. After some discussions with the wife we decided the best location for a big tank would be in the basement near a drain - my wife is a firm believer that all tanks will leak!

So, it is located in the basement, built into a wall. On the other side of the wall is unfinished with lots of access to water, drains and power.

I have been casually looking at used tanks in the area for the past year and I came across a gentleman that was selling a 360 gallon tank built by Customaquariums.com in Wi. The tank is 96" x 30" x 30" and has starfire glass on the front and two side panels. It was purchased new back in February 2017 and shutdown around Sept.

I decided to build a stand from concrete cinder blocks and 2x6 lumber. The cinder blocks are cemented in place and leveled. The top is made of double 2x6's all around with five cross braces and then topped with 3/4" ply. I will have three additional steel posts supporting the top once I have the sump and fuge in place. I covered the wall behind the tank in large pond liner to protect it from water and salt creep.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/skZnDohtfr97hYOn2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pU9MAn5ylvgPkQYo2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/v7VHUkEDQEAO3fM32

There is also a foam pad on top of the plywood that I ordered from completecustom. They were great to deal with. I also rented their moving suction cups. I hired a piano moving company to relocate the tank. This tank weighs 700lbs, so it was a major pain to get down the narrow staircase to the basement!.

Here it is in place.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iYYbkLhzqjkiCRKv1

It was predrilled and fitted with a Synergy Reef 2500gph overflow.

Here is a pic from the front:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8TNfFcXMG9ocPcFq2

I am planning on the following equipment:

Lights - Two ATI 48" 8x56 dimmable fixtures

Lifereef 36" skimmer with a Blueline 30HDX pump. This will be mounted external with an Avast Marine Davey Jones Locker.

Lifereef sump with two Nepture Cor 20 return pumps.

50 gallon fuge

BRS reef saver rock with a large Tonga shelf in the middle.

I am not sure which wave makers I am going to go with. I am leaning towards two 250 size gyres - any suggestions would be welcome!

I am planning on using the Triton method on this tank and will use a GHL doser. I also will be using an Apex with as much automation as possible.

I will add to this thread over the next few weeks as more equipment comes in.

-Jason

jpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2018, 09:37 AM   #2
McPuff
Registered Member

Looks pretty excellent so far! That stand gives me an idea for my own system. :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 02:51 PM   #3
fishybudguy
Registered Member

I love the block idea. I never thought of that but when I build my next big tank, that will be the way I go for sure. Great idea and keep up the good work

Current Tank Info: 110 reef
fishybudguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 03:21 PM   #4
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpas View Post
I have been wanting to build a large reef tank for a few years now but other things have always taken priority.

After some discussions with the wife we decided the best location for a big tank would be in the basement near a drain - my wife is a firm believer that all tanks will leak!
-Jason
Well worth the wait. Looks great.
PS:
The wife is very smart

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 10:01 PM   #5
jpas
Registered Member

Thanks guys. Next step is to put in a utility sink. I decided to go with reef cleaners rock.

I’m still undecided on lighting - a full LED setup is on the pricey side, so I want to make the right decision.

Unread 01/26/2018, 02:08 PM   #6
Editour2
Frank

so far so good...........

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/06/2018, 01:53 PM   #7
jpas
Registered Member

Well I am finally back from two weeks in California.

I installed a utility tub over the weekend beside the tank.

The Life Reef skimmer also showed up today. I'll be picking up the sump, fuge and frag tank on Friday!!

I also placed a very large BRS order of various bits and pieces.

Next, I need to run two dedicated 20amp circuits and start the plumbing.

Oh, 200lbs of rock should also be arriving any day from Reef Cleaners. I will post a bunch of pics shortly.

Unread 02/07/2018, 12:09 AM   #8
ryanw
Registered Member

Love this set up! Looks about like mine that I will be doing in the future, except I want to do 36” wide. But I am excited to see your results with this size and the Triton method as I am also going Triton. Stand looks great to! Mine will be in wall and I like this design.

ryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2018, 09:52 AM   #9
jpas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanw View Post
Love this set up! Looks about like mine that I will be doing in the future, except I want to do 36” wide. But I am excited to see your results with this size and the Triton method as I am also going Triton. Stand looks great to! Mine will be in wall and I like this design.
Thanks Ryan,

I have read various comments on using cinder blocks for a stand over the years. I will some more pics soon of the additional posts that I added in the center.

Unread 02/11/2018, 02:07 PM   #10
vetteguy53081
Registered Member

I have this very shape/size tank. Mine is Glass cages of Canada. What a different look from conventional stand !!

vetteguy53081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2018, 07:42 AM   #11
jpas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteguy53081 View Post
I have this very shape/size tank. Mine is Glass cages of Canada. What a different look from conventional stand !!
Hi, I went through a bunch of different stand designs and settled on this since it can’t be seen and is ridiculously strong.

The tank size is perfect, I was thinking about a 36” width, but it would be such a pain reaching anything at the front of the tank.

Unread 02/22/2018, 07:44 AM   #12
jpas
Registered Member

Due to travel, my build has been slow. But I did pickup my Advanced Acrylics sump. I bought it used from a RC member, thanks Brian.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MGLbpEHthPvDuT7j2

I’m trying to decided on the best layout for everything.

Unread 02/22/2018, 07:47 AM   #13
jpas
Registered Member

Here are the frag tank & fuge.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Seq4lWW65Hybueod2

Unread 03/03/2018, 12:21 PM   #14
jpas
Registered Member

I started to plumb the sump drains. I positioned the sump in an odd way so I could get my fuge to fit under the stand.

I’ll build a removable walk-way so I can still easily access the tank since there is no access from the front of the tank.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y1sQLT0DIkvepdX13