Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2018, 12:45 PM   #1
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

A good deal?

I found a tank for sale on Craigslist.

$400 OBO

55 gallon, with enclosed stand.
-10 gallon Sump
-Instant Ocean SCPS-100 SeaClone Protein Skimmer - 100 Gallon
-ZFE Aquarium Filter Holder for 4" Reef Tank Sock Bag
-Autoaqua Smart Automatic Top off System
-Fluval 406 Aquarium Canister
-Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light, 36-48" plus tank mount bracket
-Tunze 6045 wavemaker
-2 of Hydor Koralia Nano 425 Aquarium Circulation Pump, 425 GPH

Is this a good deal?

MyHouseIsAZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 12:58 PM   #2
heathlindner25
Moved On

I would not want that tank or any of the equipment.

heathlindner25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 01:00 PM   #3
OldReefGuy
Registered Member

Not a great deal, but OK if all you want is softies or FOWLR

OldReefGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 01:05 PM   #4
Hydrus
Registered Member

I wouldn't

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hydrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 03:10 PM   #5
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Another vote for PASS on it..
Thats a horrible tank size (dimension wise too shallow front to back for a reef tank) and mostly the cheapest equipment

Unread 01/22/2018, 03:27 PM   #6
billdogg
Registered Member

I don't really want to rain on your parade either, but....

^^^What they said^^^

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 06:41 PM   #7
on the spot
Registered Member

That one and 20 just like it in our area.

Is it the footprint, the volume, or the price you find most attractive? This is the place to ask questions - these guys are quite helpful.

and welcome.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 08:03 AM   #8
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Thanks for the responses everyone!! I really appreciate your honest opinions. I'm very new to this!

On the spot...The price is what is appealing. Being so new to the saltwater/reef tank world, I am a bit intimidated by all of the extra pieces that go into a tank. In the freshwater world we are used to being able to just buy what we need off shelf, set up and go about our business.

It looks like our current freshwater tank is about to be empty and we are toying with converting it over. It is a 29 gallon on a custom stand. We shall see what happens there. I still want a big set up, but hubby is telling me to be patient and see how we do with the first tank (isn't giving into my argument that bigger tanks are a little easier because water quality doesn't change as fast...yet)

Unread 01/23/2018, 11:23 AM   #9
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHouseIsAZoo View Post
The price is what is appealing.
It's a bad price, I'm.

A used 55 isn't worth more than 50$.

The equipment is mostly cheap/poor stuff as well. Seaclone skimmers are among the worst skimmers. Lights are cheap and can't grow any but the easiest corals. Etc.

We can help you piece together a better system than this, for less than 500 bucks.

I guess it does say "OBO," so you could offer much less, I suppose...but I wouldn't want it.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 01:59 PM   #10
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
It's a bad price, I'm.

A used 55 isn't worth more than 50$.

The equipment is mostly cheap/poor stuff as well. Seaclone skimmers are among the worst skimmers. Lights are cheap and can't grow any but the easiest corals. Etc.

We can help you piece together a better system than this, for less than 500 bucks.

I guess it does say "OBO," so you could offer much less, I suppose...but I wouldn't want it.
I offered $75 initially because it was up as "Make me an offer"

I'm probably getting ahead of myself with already wanting a big tank. We started our first ever saltwater on Sunday (14g Biocube). We will likely covert over our current 29g Freshwater to saltwater too. Is it worth having 2 nanos?

Unread 01/23/2018, 02:50 PM   #11
pfan151
Registered Member

I’d look for a 90g. Pretty common size to find used and you can keep a decent variety of fish happy in a tank that size. Not too big to be much of a hassle and expense to care for and has a much better footprint than a 55g

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 06:56 PM   #12
billdogg
Registered Member

Using up the same amount of wall space (4') but a little more actual floor space, much better choices would be a 75, 90, or 120. I'd go for at least the 90 if not the 120 if it were me. Especially used any of them are going to go for less than 1/2 retail for the tank alone, so maybe start there. What you want to keep (think end game to save some $$$ down the road) will determine what you'll need in the way of lighting and other equipment.

Let us know what you decide and we can offer options!

hth!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 12:37 PM   #13
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan151 View Post
I’d look for a 90g. Pretty common size to find used and you can keep a decent variety of fish happy in a tank that size. Not too big to be much of a hassle and expense to care for and has a much better footprint than a 55g
Thanks! I'll do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
Using up the same amount of wall space (4') but a little more actual floor space, much better choices would be a 75, 90, or 120. I'd go for at least the 90 if not the 120 if it were me. Especially used any of them are going to go for less than 1/2 retail for the tank alone, so maybe start there. What you want to keep (think end game to save some $$$ down the road) will determine what you'll need in the way of lighting and other equipment.

Let us know what you decide and we can offer options!

hth!
Thank you for the advice! Now to set up alerts for 90 & 120 gallon tanks!

Unread 01/24/2018, 10:59 PM   #14
squeakymcmurdo
Registered Member

I’ve got two 75 gallon tanks for free off of classifieds. One with a bunch of saltwater supplies that came with it.

125 gallon waiting outside and functioning as my kids’ swimming pool until my husband helps me lift it onto the stand.
squeakymcmurdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 11:48 PM   #15
Valentini89
Registered Member

Here's something to think about.. if you look online you'll pay a fortune for a tank new. Most places are custom deals and charge extra for everything. Then there's the stand. But, if you go to a LFS you just may get lucky enough to get a really good price on a whole package, tank, stand, sump, pumps, etc. A LFS is working with me on my next setup and since I'm buying EVERYTHING from them I'm getting a much better deal. Plus the tank is from the manufacturer they use. So they have experience with the tanks.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 07:15 AM   #16
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakymcmurdo View Post
I’ve got two 75 gallon tanks for free off of classifieds. One with a bunch of saltwater supplies that came with it.
That is amazing! I will keep watch for deals like this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentini89 View Post
Here's something to think about.. if you look online you'll pay a fortune for a tank new. Most places are custom deals and charge extra for everything. Then there's the stand. But, if you go to a LFS you just may get lucky enough to get a really good price on a whole package, tank, stand, sump, pumps, etc. A LFS is working with me on my next setup and since I'm buying EVERYTHING from them I'm getting a much better deal. Plus the tank is from the manufacturer they use. So they have experience with the tanks.
Good to know about LFS. We are planning to go to a few this weekend to check them out. Google tells me that there are a few local saltwater places that we weren't aware of, so we are going to try and visit them all.

We custom built the stand for our 29 gallon freshwater and have no problem doing that with a large saltwater (we also custom built a 48" x 62" L-shaped stand for guinea pig cages, a craft table, end tables and next up is a coffee table for the sister-in-law). The tank and systems are what we are watching for.

Unread 01/25/2018, 07:43 AM   #17
Jekerry
Registered Member

When I used to keep fresh water fish and subscribed to a magazine, they recommended bringing a few questions with you that you already knew the answer to. Ask those questions at the LFS to see if they were BSers or not.

Jekerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 08:13 AM   #18
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerry View Post
When I used to keep fresh water fish and subscribed to a magazine, they recommended bringing a few questions with you that you already knew the answer to. Ask those questions at the LFS to see if they were BSers or not.
That's a great tip! I also try to seek out the employess who are in their 30s or older. I don't trust a high school/college kid with my tanks.

Unread 01/25/2018, 09:07 AM   #19
Cloudburst2000
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHouseIsAZoo View Post
I offered $75 initially because it was up as "Make me an offer"

I'm probably getting ahead of myself with already wanting a big tank. We started our first ever saltwater on Sunday (14g Biocube). We will likely covert over our current 29g Freshwater to saltwater too. Is it worth having 2 nanos?
Actually, if you are new to SW, larger is actually easier to care for. I did start out nano-sized but only because I cannot keep a larger tank in my apartment, I would suggest going 90g or above. I would personally try 120g at the minimum if I were just starting out and had the room. You have so many more options to chose from in terms of livestock, and it is just easier to keep parameters in check.

Cloudburst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 11:48 AM   #20
d0ughb0y
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerry View Post
that is basic interrogation technique, used by FBI and police to find out if someone is lying.

d0ughb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2018, 04:30 PM   #21
on the spot
Registered Member

29's make a fairly cheap entry point for saltwater, the tiny one you already have notwithstanding. The "trouble" with them is similar to the ubiquitous 55 - poor surface area to volume. the next trouble is the length. @ 30 inches lighting can be spotty. Compare a 50 gallon breeder tank to either a standard 55 or 29. IMO it's the best value for new tanks - good volume and plenty of space.

The store in Lansing is a lot of fun - lots of displays and tons of options. There are a few here too.

on the spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2018, 10:09 AM   #22
MyHouseIsAZoo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the spot View Post
29's make a fairly cheap entry point for saltwater, the tiny one you already have notwithstanding. The "trouble" with them is similar to the ubiquitous 55 - poor surface area to volume. the next trouble is the length. @ 30 inches lighting can be spotty. Compare a 50 gallon breeder tank to either a standard 55 or 29. IMO it's the best value for new tanks - good volume and plenty of space.

The store in Lansing is a lot of fun - lots of displays and tons of options. There are a few here too.
We may have to drive out there soon! We usually go to VI Pets (cutlerville) and Blue Fish when we are daydreaming. We found a few more in this area that we plan to try and hit tomorrow to browse.

Unread 01/27/2018, 09:24 PM   #23
rocsec1
Registered Member

No it isn’t a good deal. That and isn’t of good size, it would be be a good sump but not a dt.

rocsec1 is offline   Reply With Quote