Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/12/2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Reticle
Premium Member

Learn from my mistake (A lesson learned about cheap Hydrometers)

Ok, so I have had my tank up and running a couple of months now and added a pair of Clowns about a week ago. Tank cycled perfectly, all the water parameters were spot on 1.026 sg, 0 Am., 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates, pH 8.1-8.2 (KH was a little low, 8, but I was having no issues with pH). So I've watched my Clowns pretty closely since I added them and noticed that one (the smaller of the 2) was not eating, so I started target feeding him with a syringe. When I saw him just laying on the bottom this morning I decided to take half a day from work and carry him to the lfs for a look over. Keep in mind that I tested every parameter this morning before work. When I got there, they did a water test and everything matched up with what I had except the sg.

1.032!!!

All I can say is that it was my stupidity that caused it. I have read SOOO many times to have the plastic pieces of junk calibrated with a known accurate refractometer, but I just always took it for granted that they would be REASONALBLY within spec.

Anyhow, I can't stress enough to anyone else using one of these "Inaccurate Ocean" Hydrometers or any similar design, for your fishes sake. PLEASE have it checked out.

........back to my always fun emergency water change and cross your finger that I haven't killed my Clown..........

Reticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 03:37 PM   #2
greggnyce
Registered Member

With the amount of money people spend on this hobby, I am suprised so many people do not spend $40 to get a refractometer.

Current Tank Info: 120 gl oceanic tech, 30 gallon fuge, 40 gallon sump, Itech 200 skimmer, LED Lighting . Mixed reef.
greggnyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 03:47 PM   #3
WaterKeeper
Bogus Information Expert

or even on a good grade glass float. Sorry about the problem Reticle but don't give up. Just do water changes with slightly less salinity until you're back in range.

Tom

Current Tank Info: 130 Now out of service and a 29
WaterKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 03:55 PM   #4
SNAKEMANVET
PREMIUM MEMBER

I always rinse my hydrometer with freshwater to keep salt from accumulating on the needle.This will cause your readings to be way off.(I know I have done it).I have calibrated it to my refractometer.They are pretty close. hth

SNAKEMANVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 04:01 PM   #5
ser_renely
Registered Member

I use a hydrometer I don't really have a problem with mine, but there is a touch of a science to using them correctly. That is my experience with them.

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube, 15g sump/fuge,Tunze 9010 skimmer, Reefbreeders Photon 16" - 2 Osc. Clowns,2 Lyretail Anthias, Blue Chromis, mp20, mp10....another DAMN pistol shrimp!
ser_renely is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 04:15 PM   #6
xskyzx
Registered Member

if you clean them with freshwater after every use , i dont see a problem with it....

xskyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 05:42 PM   #7
saintperez
Registered Member.

greggnyce, not sure where you can find one for $40.... Around here there at $80.

saintperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 05:58 PM   #8
buccard
Premium Member

UPS guy brought mine today!

They are currently on sale a marinedepot.com: $39.95 USD

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...clearance.html

Bottom row, middle column.

When I get home I will find out how accurate my cheap instant ocean hydrometer really was.

Save a fish, click on the red house.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon-mixed reef
buccard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 06:05 PM   #9
saintperez
Registered Member.

Ofcourse! A sale happens wwhen I'm strapped for cash!!!!! Love the way life works sometimes. ....

Unread 11/12/2008, 07:05 PM   #10
Crustman
Registered Member

Thanks for the tip Roger. I just ordered one.

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon reef with 8 T-5's, ATI Blue Plus, Blue Special, KZ Fiji Purple, Vertex IN 100, phosphate and carbon reactor Coralife Turbo Sea Pump
Crustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 07:11 PM   #11
buccard
Premium Member

Glad I could help!

Save a fish, click on the red house.

Current Tank Info: 90 Gallon-mixed reef
buccard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 07:15 PM   #12
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Get some fluids into that clown as quick as you can. You can drop that salinity into normal range quicky without any ill effect on the fish. It will help them. Their internal salinity is only about 1.008 so it take work to maintain it in normal seawter, It is probably having trouble staying hydrated,trying to gulp water and process out lots of salt. Float hydrometers are too unpredictable for me.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 07:35 PM   #13
Reticle
Premium Member

Ok, first off. The Hydrometer was THOROUGHLY risned after EVERY measuerment. If both fish had seemed stressed I would have figured this out a lot sooner, but since the larger of the two is doing great, I thought the small one was just having trouble adjusting to the new tank. I know I should have had it checked, but damn, a Hydrometer that is 6 points out of whack just seems a bit much to me. Thank god it wasn't a gunpowder scale.

I have brought the sg down to 1.023 and he is still very lethargic but he is alive, so that is a plus I suppose. He will occasionally get up and swim around a bit but never strays far from his corner.
I put a syringe with some Mysis shrimp in front of him a little whil ago just to see if he would eat and he absolutely devoured what was in the tube. I am hoping that is a good sign as well. I guess only time will tell.

Unread 11/12/2008, 08:06 PM   #14
MileHighFish
Registered Member

I keep mine clean with vinegar and use two to double check. I hear what you guys are saying about the cost of coral, lights etc a refractometer should be a given. But I have used one borrowed from the LFS and I got several reading that were different in the course of a few hours I asked him about that and he said it needed to be recalibrated. So I don’t know which is the lesser of the two evils. I know that the temp of your water has alot to do with the reading you get, were you adjusting for that?

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later.
Mitch Hedberg

Current Tank Info: Reef tank, 100 gal Lee Mar polished.. 60 sump.. 800 watts mh 20k radium..Ran on "Taiwan HQI Ballast" 330 watt VHO.. 48 watt compacts (dawn/dusk).. sps/lps tank..
MileHighFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 08:12 PM   #15
Reticle
Premium Member

I also meant to add, even though I know the margain of error for mine now, a refractometer has been ordered.

Unread 11/12/2008, 08:19 PM   #16
MileHighFish
Registered Member

ok looking at the marinedepot add i think it is time to buy.. thanks

I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later.
Mitch Hedberg

Current Tank Info: Reef tank, 100 gal Lee Mar polished.. 60 sump.. 800 watts mh 20k radium..Ran on "Taiwan HQI Ballast" 330 watt VHO.. 48 watt compacts (dawn/dusk).. sps/lps tank..
MileHighFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 08:25 PM   #17
fliynhi
Registered Member

I got mine from the bay of e for $25 with a pH tester as well. Works as well as the higher end one they use at my LFS.

Current Tank Info: 55 gal, maroon clown, fridmani pseudochromis, yellow tang, working on the reef part of it, 100+ lbs live rock, 50 lbs live sand, lots of worms, snails and crabs
fliynhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 08:35 PM   #18
saintperez
Registered Member.

Do you remeember who the seller was on ebay?

Unread 11/12/2008, 08:51 PM   #19
fliynhi
Registered Member

No, I don't. Sorry. I do remember that it came from Hong Kong though. I got it right around this time last year.

Current Tank Info: 55 gal, maroon clown, fridmani pseudochromis, yellow tang, working on the reef part of it, 100+ lbs live rock, 50 lbs live sand, lots of worms, snails and crabs
Unread 11/12/2008, 08:53 PM   #20
fliynhi
Registered Member

I just checked and they still have them listed, but without the pH tester. Just put Salinity Refractometer in the search window and a ton will pop up.

Unread 11/12/2008, 08:54 PM   #21
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

Watch the clownfish for signs of disease. I believe you said it was a new fish. There may be a different reason for the lethargy.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
Unread 11/12/2008, 08:55 PM   #22
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

PS is it possible the other amphiprion is bullying it. Are they the same species? Two females, perhaps?

Unread 11/12/2008, 09:06 PM   #23
Reticle
Premium Member

The other one doesn't seem to be bullying at all. They actually seem quite friendly to each other and were bought as a pair. The only visible signs the small one has are red marks around the gills that the lfs says are from the high salinity.

Unread 11/12/2008, 09:21 PM   #24
ZoaFan08
Moved On

My LFS has them for $40 every day, if anyone wants one I would not mid picking up a few and mailing them out.

ZoaFan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/12/2008, 09:34 PM   #25
Flipper62
Premium Member

Be carfull of the refractometers on Ebay. NOT ALL....but there are some being sold as salinity refractometers when they are really made for other things like anti-freeze. You might get one for $25.00 but if its not for salinity, its worthless.

Trust your LFS or a good Online store. You can get a good Sybon refractometer from Aquacave for $49.95

www.aquacave.com ask for Albert

heres the direct link to the Sybon refractometer
http://www.aquacave.com/salinity-ref...ybon-1901.html

If todays automobile had followed the same development as the computer, A Rolls Royce would cost $100.00. It would get a million miles per gallon, but it would explode once a year killing everyone inside."

Current Tanks... 90 gal Reef... My awesome Office BioCube....( 180 was on hold ..no time ) ... The 180 gal has been sold...Yay..yay..yay.
Hobby Experience: 19 years Reef...22 years FW
Flipper62 is offline   Reply With Quote