Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/14/2011, 02:21 PM   #1
TMF89
Registered Member

Can Seahorses Use BRS Ecorock As A Hitching Post?

Hey guys. I have an empty 40b that I'm thinking of doing seahorses in. Problem is I don't really like the look of macro algae. I was thinking of doing seagrass with a zoa/softie garden. My question is will the seahorses be able to use the dry rock I have from BRS as a hitching posts? I imagine that'd be able to use the seagrass and coral but I don't want to put a ton of stress on the stuff while it's growing in. I keep mentioning the specific kind of rock I have because its very porous and I think it might do alright. There are certainly many places where I think they could hitch, but obviously I'm not a seahorse and I haven't kept them before, so I'm not sure if they'll use it or find the spots. What do you guys think?

TMF89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2011, 04:33 PM   #2
Treed
Registered Member

I have personally bought 50 lbs of it for my up and coming 75 gallon SH tank. It look awesome but Im also going to be using macro algaes.

Treed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2011, 09:09 AM   #3
jeff@zina.com
Registered Member

Depends on the seahorse and the rock. They likely can use some, but really don't prefer rock anyway. The grasses will be fine.

Jeff

jeff@zina.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2011, 03:40 PM   #4
SkullV
They Got My Number

My Erectus pair used Ecorock/Pukani as hitching posts very well. There are plenty of nooks, crannies, holes to hitch to.

Be cautious of those willing to share their "knowledge" but not their results.
SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote