Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/13/2017, 09:35 AM   #2401
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulpatch View Post
I would likely try to put a bit around the outer edge of the glass pane you are seating just to ensure you dont leave any areas for crap to build up in. It doesnt have to be pretty as you will never see it but just stops anything from getting under the glass and causing nitrate issues or such.

You could put in the bulkheads and tighten down to seal it nice and tight but make sure you tighten then loosen and pop out to clean up and silicone that comes over onto the bulkhead.

Honestly you dont need a ton of pressure here so i would likely use small clamps to secure the pane. Above all else also make sure silicone does not get on top of the replacement pane around the bulkheads as that will need cleaned so as to not impact the bulkhead seal.
Sounds good. Thanks Soul.

As an alternative, would it be feasible to insert the bulkhead from the bottom side, so that the gasket will sit on the bottom, undamaged side of the tank? That means the nut would be on the inside of the overflow box.
Or is that not advisable?

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 09:37 AM   #2402
soulpatch
Registered Member

it doesnt work that way for the bulkhead. You would have water seeping through if done that way.

Some have bar tabs. I have a coral tab at my LFS. Life goals.
soulpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/13/2017, 08:53 PM   #2403
kevin_e
Registered Member

I can't wait until I can save up for a 100+ gallon system from him. I want a 5' tank with solid wood stand/canopy. My 50 cube from him has been offline for about 4 months now, but I plan on getting getting it running next weekend again.

kevin_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 11:54 PM   #2404
SC Aquariums
Registered Member

[IMG][/IMG]

SC Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2017, 11:56 PM   #2405
SC Aquariums
Registered Member

Brand New Wood cabinet for our 50 gallon, 66 gallon and 80 gallon System
Available in Rustic Black, Rustic White Wash, Rustic Grey Wash, Matte Brown.

SC Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2017, 03:54 PM   #2406
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
it doesnt work that way for the bulkhead. You would have water seeping through if done that way.
I figured that would be the answer. Thanks.

This will be a very noob question, but is silicone usable as long as it's still sticky/pliable?

Steve sent me a tube that was already used once. I figured it should be more liquidity but I've never used a silicone tube. Just want to make sure it's going to seal well if I use it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Unread 10/18/2017, 04:04 PM   #2407
soulpatch
Registered Member

Silicone is not very liquidy by default. It is like a thick gel

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Unread 10/18/2017, 04:50 PM   #2408
Thornbreaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Silicone is not very liquidy by default. It is like a thick gel

Thank you! That seems to be an accurate description.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Unread 10/18/2017, 10:43 PM   #2409
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Aquariums View Post
Wow, I would love to get one to replace the MDF one for my 50g "cube" - too bad shipping would probably be a killer though...

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2017, 11:39 AM   #2410
z3speed4me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edolan View Post
Has anyone installed a jebao cp-40 in an sca 80 gal tank? I want to increase the flow in my tank and I am trying to get an idea how well it work in my tank. At the moment I am going back and forth between 2 jebao pp8's or 1 pp8 and the cp-40.

Thanks
I have a cp40 in my 75 which is very so similar. (36x24x20) along with two pp4's on the far side that I'll prob swap for another CP soon bc it flows like crazy even at 40-50%. (Mine has thankfully been quiet as well)

z3speed4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 07:09 AM   #2411
Bpb
Registered Member

SC Aquariums Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Aquariums View Post

That’s a stellar looking cabinet!

Bpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2017, 05:02 PM   #2412
hoover86
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat View Post
Here's some SC Aquarium Top Quality for y'all after 4 months being setup. Steve said it's not going to leak. I'm not so sure. Didn't offer to replace it. Looks like crap.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Whatever came of this?

Unread 10/27/2017, 07:28 AM   #2413
z3speed4me
Registered Member

Yea that is definitely NOT the standard offering that people receive. From the tons of tanks in this thread, reports of such adhesion has been minimal at best.

z3speed4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2017, 05:54 PM   #2414
MrSkumFrog
Registered Member

Quote:
Cadlight and SC used to be same company and still use same Chinese factory I believe. The difference is that Steve has customer service down and cadlight seem to forget about the customer. That split was a great thing for us reefers as SCA is awesome product with outstanding customer service

SOLD!

Thanks! You helped me out a lot. I've been looking at a 50g cube from both companies. I've made my choice now.

Unread 11/02/2017, 10:53 PM   #2415
luckyk0505
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoover86 View Post
Whatever came of this?
Mine looks like this as well. However no leaks.

luckyk0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2017, 04:08 PM   #2416
ksmmike
Registered Member

Hello,
I've been reading this thread, but not sure I've seen a definitive answer. I'm likely going to
purchase a SC Aquariums tank, either the 80 or 90 gallon. My question is for owners of the tanks, if you had to do it all over again, would you get the PNP set up or get your own plumbing and sump? It seems the skimmer is pretty good, but some think the plumbing needs to be upgraded and they don't like the sumps. Is that accurate or are you happy with the PNP setups? Can you use the Herbie set up since there are 3 drains? I've never set up a tank like this yet. I have a biocube for now.
Thanks..Mike

ksmmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2017, 04:20 PM   #2417
homer1475
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmmike View Post
Hello,
I've been reading this thread, but not sure I've seen a definitive answer. I'm likely going to
purchase a SC Aquariums tank, either the 80 or 90 gallon. My question is for owners of the tanks, if you had to do it all over again, would you get the PNP set up or get your own plumbing and sump? It seems the skimmer is pretty good, but some think the plumbing needs to be upgraded and they don't like the sumps. Is that accurate or are you happy with the PNP setups? Can you use the Herbie set up since there are 3 drains? I've never set up a tank like this yet. I have a biocube for now.
Thanks..Mike
I bought the 80 cube PNP system. If i had to do it again, tank and stand only.

While the skimmer is decent(I'm still using it), the return is loud and cumbersome(first upgrade I did), I added all my own plumbing and bulkheads, and tore the sump apart to rebuild it to fit my needs.

With 3 holes, I run a herbie setup with the middle hole as the return split into both sides of the overflow. I believe all the systems come setup like this now. Or you can call them and have it drilled for a ghost overflow style so there is no overflow tower inside the tank.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2017, 07:03 PM   #2418
ksmmike
Registered Member

Thanks Homer
Now I have to research ghost overflows You've given me more homework
Mike

Unread 11/04/2017, 07:36 PM   #2419
KJoFan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I bought the 80 cube PNP system. If i had to do it again, tank and stand only.

While the skimmer is decent(I'm still using it), the return is loud and cumbersome(first upgrade I did), I added all my own plumbing and bulkheads, and tore the sump apart to rebuild it to fit my needs.

With 3 holes, I run a herbie setup with the middle hole as the return split into both sides of the overflow. I believe all the systems come setup like this now. Or you can call them and have it drilled for a ghost overflow style so there is no overflow tower inside the tank.
I agree with this. I got the 66 PNP. I'm still using both the return and skimmer. The skimmer is decent, but I'll be upgrading it to a Lifereef very soon. I'll probably keep this skimmer as a backup because aside from being a little loud, it works fairly well.

The return has a..."charming" chugging whine to it and will be the next to be replaced. Keeping an eye out for those Black Friday deals.

KJoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2017, 07:40 PM   #2420
ksmmike
Registered Member

Thanks again, Homer,
I had seen your thread earlier today and your issues and successes in the tank build. The ghost system, though adding more cost to the setup, might be the way to go. Thanks for the tip.
Excuse my ignorance, learning as I go, but with 3 openings, could I use a Herbie set up with the ghost overflow, or would I have to go to a bean animal? I guess I'm not understanding the 3 holes if the return is elsewhere and you're really talking about 4 lines. If I'm looking at it properly with the bean animal, there are 2 overflows inside the ghost overflow and a line in? Could I use one as an in and one as a return and one as an overflow and use the ghost as a Herbie setup?
Sighs
Mike

Unread 11/04/2017, 07:46 PM   #2421
ksmmike
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoFan View Post
I agree with this. I got the 66 PNP. I'm still using both the return and skimmer. The skimmer is decent, but I'll be upgrading it to a Lifereef very soon. I'll probably keep this skimmer as a backup because aside from being a little loud, it works fairly well.

The return has a..."charming" chugging whine to it and will be the next to be replaced. Keeping an eye out for those Black Friday deals.
Thanks, KjoFan
It sounds like building the system around tank and maybe the stand might be the way to go. It's a great price, but that usually comes with a price too.
I'd rather take my time and get parts that will last and be a quiet system. I have a biocube now and once I took of the top and put on the Echotech marine lights, the system is very quiet. I could hear the hum of the biocube two rooms over until I took off the top.
Mike

Unread 11/05/2017, 10:11 AM   #2422
KJoFan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmmike View Post
Thanks, KjoFan
It sounds like building the system around tank and maybe the stand might be the way to go. It's a great price, but that usually comes with a price too.
I'd rather take my time and get parts that will last and be a quiet system. I have a biocube now and once I took of the top and put on the Echotech marine lights, the system is very quiet. I could hear the hum of the biocube two rooms over until I took off the top.
Mike
I went with the setup originally because I didn't want to build my own stand. I wanted to take the easy (lazy?) route this time around. So, my thought was, for the price I would go with the PNP and use the equipment it came with until I encountered an issue or had the time/funds/desire to upgrade equipment. I almost a year on from original purchase and just now starting to look into upgrading so I think in the end it was still probably money well spent. It has served it's purpose and I can still keep the original equipment for backups.

I don't think you really can go wrong either way.

KJoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/06/2017, 10:24 AM   #2423
ksmmike
Registered Member

Does anyone know the standard flow rate if you use the plumbing and kit supplied with the 66 and 80 gallon PNP systems? If you upgraded the return pump or even the sump, which ones did you use?

I'm really going back and forth between getting them to build me a custom tank with the ghost or shadow overflow or the standard set up and upgrading it. If you used the standard sump, did you use the bioballs or switch to live rock and or put a refugium in the middle section?

I know so many questions, but I prefer to set it up the way I want it from the start and not have to upgrade over time. I'd rather try to make it as stable as possible in the beginning. I'm curious mostly about the sump setups and the flow rates so that I can get a better return pump from the start. I prefer a quiet system.

Thanks
Mike

Unread 11/06/2017, 11:50 AM   #2424
soulpatch
Registered Member

your flow rate is generally limited to the plumbing. 1" pipe gravity fed maxes out at less then 1000 GPH and that is before you add bends and valves (valves even wide open restrict some).

I would go custom tank with ghost overflow all day everyday if I did my 150 again. I woudl also have 2 holes drilled for the returns.

I have a custom sump but then again with the 150 the sump was WAY too large for what was needed. For the smaller tanks like the 80 and such you dont gain any room going custom for most part but do gain some cool features like sock holders, holes for dosing tubes, probe racks, holes for reactor lines and more.

To tell you what return pump you would want to get is difficult as a lot of factors are involved such as if you would run a manifold or not. I personally LOVE my Fluval SP6 pump as it is super easy to clean, quiet, and packs a punch for the price. Your size tank a SP4 is likely sufficient.

As for the sump I am a large proponent in a fuge section. In mine I have marine pure plates and balls with some macro growing in there. Helps keep my phosphates and such to a minimum.

Unread 11/06/2017, 12:36 PM   #2425
ksmmike
Registered Member

Thanks Soulpatch,
I asked Steve for a quote on a custom tank this morning. I'm leaning towards the
ghost or shadow overflow. It does seem to make a lot of sense, though I personally don't want to be the one cutting holes in a new tank, which is why I asked for the quote, rather
than getting a stock tank and cutting it on my own.

I do plan on making one section in the sump a refugium. I'm pretty sold on that as well.
I just have to decide on the skimmer and bioballs or a skimmer and socks. Anyway, you were a big help.

Thanks
Mike