Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/22/2018, 12:48 PM   #1
Mikeb76
Registered Member

Bubble Algae

Hello I wanted to get some advice on getting rid of Bubble Algae in my tank. I noticed a while back I had some bubble algae on one of my rocks. I took the rock out of the tank and scrapped it all off raised the rock with hot water then RO water, then put the rock back in the tank. All was good for a while, but now the bubble algae has grown back on half of the rocks and on some of my coral plugs.I was able to remove from the algae from my corals and made a rack to get them off the rock for now.

I recently added 1 emerald crab to eat the algae but looks like I might need more. I also thought about getting a Fox face to see if he would eat the bubble algae too

Worst case I was thinking of taking all the rock out of the tank and pressure washing the heck out of the rock then let them dry in the sun for a while , then let it soak in RO/ID water for a few days then put it back. In the mean time I would take all the pumps apart to make sure there is no algae growing on them and do a 50% water change would this hurt my tank?

Thanks

Mikeb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 01:10 PM   #2
Hydrus
Registered Member

I've always just used emerald crabs. I can't say I'd ever want to pull out and kill off all my live rock. Keep in mind it does take time to resolve

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hydrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 01:26 PM   #3
AlSimmons
Registered Member

I got rid of mine by ripping out as much as I could before each water change. Popping them was of no concern. It was definitely a little tedious, but they're gone now.

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 01:36 PM   #4
Mikeb76
Registered Member

Hydru how many EC should I have for a 90gal? Also I heard that they will attack peppermint shrimp did you have this issue?

Mikeb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 01:52 PM   #5
crawling junk
Registered Member

Vibrant got rid of all the bubble algae in my tank. But it came with a price. Now im trying to get rid of cyano

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crawling junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2018, 08:20 PM   #6
Randyz
Registered Member

I would go with emerald crabs and possibly zebra hermits

Randyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 02:47 PM   #7
Tripod1404
Registered Member

What is your nitrate and phosphate levels? I have several bubble algae in my tank but they grow extremely slow. If they are growing that fast, you might have a nutrient problem.

If so it would be very hard to achieve biological control.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 02:53 PM   #8
Hydrus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb76 View Post
Hydru how many EC should I have for a 90gal? Also I heard that they will attack peppermint shrimp did you have this issue?
I put in 4, but when it was gone I gave them back to fish store and kept only 1. And they never attacked my peppermint shrimp but did kill my anemone crab.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hydrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 04:02 PM   #9
flooddc
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
I got rid of mine by ripping out as much as I could before each water change. Popping them was of no concern. It was definitely a little tedious, but they're gone now.
^^^
This is best way to get rid of it. I used to have them and manually removed whenever I see them. Also, for future reference I'd highly recommend that you don't use hot water on your rock or anything out of the tank. Palytoxin is deadly. While some people might not have paly or zoa in their tank, there might be a chance of hitch hiking on a frag, a rock, etc. you never know.

flooddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 04:17 PM   #10
organism
code monkey

Have you seen this one? Guy wiped out a ton of it in a few weeks.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2665273