Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/10/2018, 12:57 PM   #1
neilp2006
Registered Member

Run plumbing through floor to basement

Hi guys

Those of you with a basement sump- how did you finish the ‘through-floor’ part of the plumbing run?

Was hoping fir something more elegant than cutting a rectangle big enough for 4 x 1.25 inch pvc pipes and unions, and filling the gaps with foam.

Anyone use bulkheads, or other fancier methods?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2018, 09:20 PM   #2
FuzzyZipperbaum
Registered Member

Purchased a diamond bit holesaw and went straight through marble tile. Drilled 6 holes. It takes about 10 minutes a hole. The tile is under the stand. Used flex 2"PVC and it fit perfect through the hole...didnt even need to caulk around it. However, bulk heads are not a bad idea...more flexible for the future.

Good luck.

PS. I also drilled an extra hole and capped it off for future use. I now use it for apex and internet cables from the tanks down to the Sump Room.

FuzzyZipperbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/11/2018, 07:52 AM   #3
fishguy597
Registered Member

However, bulk heads are not a bad idea...more flexible for the future.
Are you saying to have the bulk heads sitting on top of the floor and threads in the basement? If so, not really a fan of another spot for a potential leak. The Pipefitter in me likes a schedule 40 pvc penetration through the floor and unistrut on the wall below for support along with pipe clamps. When I do mine I'll be using a hole saw too.

PS. I also drilled an extra hole and capped it off for future use. I now use it for apex and internet cables from the tanks down to the Sump Room.[/QUOTE]

I like this idea.

fishguy597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 11:43 AM   #4
scubadan206
Registered Member

I cut a hole the same size as a standard air vent. Put 3 1.5 inch pipes down it.

scubadan206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 01:18 PM   #5
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant

Core drilled into the basement threw the footings before I refinished the flooring. The tiles were refinished with porcelain tile after so it looks awesome and seamless now. I am planning to have a carpenter finish off the whole stand and canopy when I am all done installing so you won't be able to see from the rear of the tank to the wall and all will be covered.

Here are a few progress shots.

Current Tank Info: 550 Gallon SPS Reef l 200 Gallon Sump l Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 250 l Return Pump: Reeflo Hammerhead l Tank Circulation: (2) Maxspect Gyre XF280 l Lighting: (3) 400w Halides & (3) AI Hydra 52 HD

Last edited by shaginwagon13; 03/15/2018 at 01:26 PM.
shaginwagon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 12:34 AM   #6
neilp2006
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadan206 View Post
I cut a hole the same size as a standard air vent. Put 3 1.5 inch pipes down it.

Sorry, not getting notifications of replies.

This was my original plan. This will all be inside cabinetry anyway so not too bad.

Did you put anything in the hole around the pipes to stop air flow etc up from the basement?

I was thinking of making some thin plywood covers and filling the subfloor space with expanding foam, but I’d have to dig it out if I want to remove the pipes at any point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neilp2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 04:22 AM   #7
JMetaxas
Registered Member

Great idea. If you abandon the tank project, you can simply put a floor vent (register) in there as a quick fix of having a hole in your floor.

JMetaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 06:56 PM   #8
Jwey
Registered Member

I cut out a section of drywall (16”x24”) behind the tank and drilled the 3 holes for the plumbing.

Jwey is offline   Reply With Quote