Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/06/2018, 05:00 PM   #1
Kinetic
Registered Member

Enclosing two singles in breeder box to pair?

I failed with the attempt to keep a small (7 clown) harem in a 34g display. The aggression on the smallest ones were too much, and I decided I didn't want to subject them to it and so slowly gave away all my clowns to hobbyists around me.

I ended up with one single ocellaris (Fancy White Extreme Davinci from Sustainable Aquatics) after just trading my pair of mocha gladiators. The three were fine in the tank for about a year, but the single ocellaris was never allowed in anemones but also not bullied.

I just recieved an amazing premium wysiwyg ocellaris (also davinci, similar markings) from Chad Vossen. It's much much smaller, and I'm trying to pair them up.

Let's call the one I have in the tank already ClownA, and the new one ClownB. ClownA is probably 1.5", and ClownB is just about 1". Clearly much smaller.

I put ClownA into a breeder box in the tank a couple days ago (he got really aggressive all of a sudden after the resident pair of clowns left and kept biting me as I was trying to relocate a coral in the tank). I decided to leave him there until the new clown arrived.

ClownB was slowly acclimated and I added him into an adjacent breeder box to ClownA. No aggression (though ClownA is probably unhappy in the box). After a couple hours, I plopped ClownB into the same breeder box. They don't seem to care about each other, which is better than trying to kill. They do swim on the same side of the box, but it's too early for them to be "paired" for sure.

My question is, after all that, is if I should keep them together in the breeder box for awhile before letting them out into the tank? Or if it's useless, and I should just let them into the tank now.

Tank does have a 7" magnifica already, I'm hoping if paired, they will both be hosted by it. Otherwise I think ClownA would chase ClownB out.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2018, 07:09 PM   #2
MarinaP
Registered Member

I would let clownb out first and let him settle in the anemone.

Unread 09/06/2018, 07:47 PM   #3
Kinetic
Registered Member

They were fine together in the breeder box, and I let them out. They went straight for the magnifica, and ClownA immediately did the shake dance to welcome ClownB to the nem. They're both happily shaking for each other and bouncing around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ3V...ature=youtu.be

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/06/2018, 08:00 PM   #4
mr9iron
15& Over Club

Awesome video of your clowns. Great job.

Current Tank Info: Frag tank at the moment, planning another
mr9iron is offline   Reply With Quote