Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2013, 10:05 PM   #26
kegogut
Registered Member

Some LEDs you need a controller to run and some come with their own. depends on the LEDs and your budget.

"I have learned all kinds of things from my many mistakes. The one thing I never learn is to stop making them." --Nicomo Cosca.

Current Tank Info: 225 mixed w/ 225 sump 550 lbs live rock,3x MarinePure ceramic blocks,Skimz SM201,Geo 618 CR,Vectra L1,DOS automatic water changes,3x 250w MH w/ 4x actinic T5,All ran by Apex thru Fusion.--57 community tank w/ OR T-247,120 nem tank.
kegogut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2013, 11:21 PM   #27
MTF7
Registered Member

Ok as many of you might have read I have just stuck with the 2nd chamber refugium, my tank is about 4 weeks now and is going strong! Just upgraded to LEDs they look awesome! I'm getting just a little bit of diatomes just like on one rock but I'm about to add the clean up crew in a couple days. As for my parameters they are all 0! as for my filtration I only have 1/2 a unit of chemi pure elite and some filter floss the rest is all biological I plan to add purigen and I'm also thinking about buying some media and some bags and putting a mix of ammonia and nitrate and nitrite absorber in there but not sure. I read that the in-tank (not the website) filtration is not that usefull but I am still going to keep my 5g water changes every week or two but I wanted to see about mabe adding a HOB power filter just a thought.

MTF7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2013, 11:26 AM   #28
MTF7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishWrangler View Post
Anyone try a fuge in the 1st chamber with success? There is room (I think) for one of those iRack fuge baskets in there.

One obvious issue would be the back in chamber 1 is solid plastic so you'd have to install the light underwater of above chamber 1...

My 2nd chamber is filled up as well with a media basket and skimmer.
Actually I m thinking about doing this now! I'm thinking about putting a bunch of LRR or even some type of ceramic maybe even chaeto as it takes out nitrates but I also have purigen and it's pretty hard to grow chaeto in a back chamber of a biocube but I might try it! I'll let you guys know how it goes!

MTF7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2017, 01:11 PM   #29
GWillings
Registered Member.

The newer Biocubes comes with a basket with room on the bottom to have a refugium. No bioballs with mine what so ever. I plan on running mine like this: Chamber 1 - Coralife skimmer; Chamber 2 - filter floss where the small carbon pack went, then a media bag with carbon, then purigen, then the refugium with cheato and LR rubble; Chamber 3 - heater and return pump. later down the road I plan on adding a small reactor to run GFO and carbon mixed (1/3 GFO to 2/3 Carbon) and having the entire 2nd chamber as a refugium. This is my first attempt at a saltwater tank. The lighting I am going to leave it with the stock LED's for now, but down the road I plan on removing the hood all together and running an AI PRIME HD. As for the ATO, still researching what I want to do for that, but I plan on using a 5 gallon bucket as my ATO reservoir. Corals, I know I will have zoa's in there, was thinking maybe a brain and some other softies. I do need to adjust my lighting times on the hood as the moon light comes on at about 11 pm, and should be coming on a few hours earlier than that. But the ATO I am leaning towards the Osmolater (cant remember how to spell it, but I am sure you get what I am saying, lol).

GWillings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biocube29, filtration, nano, refugium, saltwater