Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/05/2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Nicko86
Registered Member

New to the Saltwater World

Hi guys and gals. I have 29g Oceanic Biocube with 30 pounds of live sand, 25 pounds of live rock, and is on its 3rd week of cycling. Everything has been going great it seems. Algae has died off and turned brown on the rocks and really hasn't been a problem for over a week now. I did find out today that I have hundreds of Amphipod's in my tank today and read that they should not pose any problems for me. Now here are my readings using the API and Red Sea test kits.

Salinity-1.025
Ammonia-0.10-0.15ppm (Almost Yellow/hint of green)
Nitrates-0
Nitrites-0
PH-8.2

Calcium-470 (I know a little high)
Magnesium-1400 (I know a little high)
Alkalinity-9.8

Now my ammonia has been staying around those levels for about a week now. I've been patient about it and just waiting for it to go away. I did expect the ammonia to officially drop by now but it's been locked in it seems. I've been making sure my skimmer has been staying clean and dumping the bi-product out everyday. Any idea's on why my ammonia levels haven't made any changes?

I use Tropic Marin Mersalz Pro-Reef Sea Salt for those who are wondering and I do want this tank to be a FOWLR.

Nicko86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Denbf58
Registered Member

To Reef Central it takes time for bactria to grow feed on ammonia then you will get nitrite then nitrate when all go to 0 your cylce is over

Current Tank Info: 75gal reef ready koralia 3, 30g sump, 4b 48" t5s lighting, 29g reef with breeding pair clowns 55g reef 55g freshwater
Denbf58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2012, 08:23 AM   #3
TjwBlake
Registered Member

at 3 weeks you are really only hitting the "half way point" of the cycle. Keep up what you are doing, light ghost feeding might even help to make sure things keep moving forward.

Current Tank Info: JbJ Nanocube 28
TjwBlake is offline   Reply With Quote